All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When does it become automatic?
      #340487 - 01/06/09 09:23 AM
elfdream

Reged: 09/07/08
Loc: Shenandoah Valley VA

I've been reading Heather's book and she said she reached a place where she had stabilized to the point where she didn't even have to think about her eating habits. She just naturally reached for the correct foods and knew what to avoid. I also know she reached that place by a lot of trial and error.

I've been working on this since September and I'm happy to say that my 'stable' periods are getting longer and longer but I keep relapsing...most of the time accidentally. For example I didn't know until I came here that processed bran flakes on an empty stomach was a no no!

So how long does it normally take until the new eating patterns are 'normal' and you are so accustomed to it that you don't have to give it a second thought? For those of you who are stable can you remember how long it took you?

I just know I'm looking forward to that day!

--------------------
IBS D/C /Fibromyalgia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When does it become automatic? new
      #340503 - 01/06/09 12:48 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I'm sure everyone is different. I still read lables and look into everything I eat. I believe it is good to be on guard with what I am eating. It will become less of a "big thing" and will become habit.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#340506 - 01/06/09 01:00 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Quote:

For example I didn't know until I came here that processed bran flakes on an empty stomach was a no no!

I've noticed that my issues are always more pronounced when I eat something on an empty stomach. Is there a rule of thumb about not eating on an empty stomach??

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#340507 - 01/06/09 01:17 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Hi I am as stable as I can currently hope for, my diet is limeted, very but, I have a list of things I eat places I order from I don't make grocery lists anymore, I know what I can have I read packages, I've been on the diet about 4 years, and the auto thing happened two years ago.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#340513 - 01/06/09 01:49 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

You should always have food in your tummy.Some of the issues come from having an empty stomach.Munch on bread or pretzels or anything you KNOW is a safe snack for you,i munch on pretzels all day or when tummy issues arise, white bread. These are SF and buffer the triggers if you eat one.The difference is like....white hot pain bending you over and immobilizing you ...to...dull achy cramps that (for me) end in D quite quickly.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#340520 - 01/06/09 03:39 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I don't have a concrete answer for you on this - for some of us it takes years. It took me a long time to realize that some of the foods I thought were safe were actually causing me grief. I was diagnosed 15 years ago or so and just in the last 2 years I have diligently followed Heather's diet. I used to eat things with milk ingredients because I didn't know that was my trouble.

It was trial and error, and it did take time. I've always know to avoid things like red meat and dairy, but it was more recent that I picked up on the hidden ingredients causing me trouble.

People often ask me if I miss foods like ice cream or steak. I don't really anymore because I've realized a healthier way of eating for my ibs. Now I can just pick up something in the store, know it's safe for me. I read labels and am very cautious of anything new or improved, and especially when I eat out. Trial error and time will hopefully find it becoming automatic for you too.

Good luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#340623 - 01/09/09 12:15 PM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

I guess I can consider myself stable now. Its been 2 years since my diagnosis (after a lifetime of pain and everything else) 3 months ago, I hit on my "perfect IBS cocktail" which I do every day and have not had an episode since I found that balance. I find that avoiding triggers really is getting automatic, and I do indeed not think so much about what I can and can't eat. Sometimes, even seeing a trigger food on TV will turn my stomach...! So it took me a bit over a year and a half of trial and painful error and constantly re-reading Heather's information ( even to the point of carrying it around in my purse for constant referral) to get to this place. Also, I've learned, when in doubt, don't. But the longer my belly stays calm, the more calm it gets. I think Heather says that somewhere in her book.

#340627 - 01/09/09 02:14 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm not sure exactly when it happens but it does happen. I thiks it took about a year for me. Don't worry. One day it will be as easy as breathing. Good luck.

#340654 - 01/10/09 03:44 AM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Quote:

I'm not sure exactly when it happens but it does happen. I thiks it took about a year for me. Don't worry. One day it will be as easy as breathing. Good luck.

Same for me, about a year. Now it's all just routine, and I don't even think much about it, except when I have to re-stock my fiber and pep caps and teas.

Stress is still a killer for me, tho. Even stable, if things are not going so good, in other parts of our lives, my IBS will flare, anyway. I guess that's more-or-less normal. My husband just came home with news of a paycut, so that was a bad nite for my tummy.

hang in there
** cheryl **
IBS-C

#340665 - 01/10/09 01:36 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I know exactly what you mean about seeing something that plays havoc with IBS and having it turn your stomach. The example I can think of is the Olive Garden commercials. Most people would think that food looks delicious but I see it and my stomach hurts. There is no way I would try to eat something like that.

I know what foods are triggers for me and I stay away from them without thought. It is too painful to eat them so it isn't worth it.

I am not really into food much so I don't have a problem eating the same types of foods that are safe for me over and over. The routine is comforting for me.

It will happen just be patient.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 881 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review