All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Amytriptyline or Citalopram??
      #336903 - 10/11/08 05:35 AM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

can anyone help me? Im taking 10mg Amitryptiline but i just realized there is also Lactose. I get cramps after taking it and ive had soft bowels lately and cannot figure out why. I was taking 10mg Amitryptiline before and everything was fine then i stopped for 2 weeks cos i had no time to go to doctor for me and this is whats happening now. I never noticed there was lactose before tho. Is Amitryptiline not safe for us with IBS due to having Lactose in it? I was thinking of taking Citalopram instead because Ive heard its better for people with IBS. but i dont know!! im also very anxious person but i feel embarrassed to tell my doctor cos he looks at me like im making IBS up. Can anyone please help me????? Whats the best thing to take for anxiety and IBS?? I dont know and need some advice. thank you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Amytriptyline or Citalopram?? new
      #336970 - 10/13/08 05:26 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I'm IBS D. I take both Cymbalta and Topamax- low doses of each to help ake the edge off and help with the "D". Both drugs have a constipation side effect. I'm in the process of switching off the Cymbalta to Pristiq, so I'll let you know how that goes. If you can't find another doctor, simply explain that what he is prescribing is giving you "d" and you need something the causes "c". You can see from the list, he should be able to find one to help you...
http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/antidepressants-other-drugs-treat-headaches

Good luck, virtual hugs,

Lisa

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

#336994 - 10/14/08 11:40 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am taking a low dose (10 mg daily) of citalopram, aka Celexa. I've been on it for just over a month and definitely feel calmer and more positive. My IBS has been SLIGHTLY better too, but I'm not sure if that's a result of the drug or other things I'm doing differently. No side effects other than a bit of a dryer mouth and a little sleepier than usual.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#337469 - 10/28/08 07:05 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I started on Pristiq about 10 days ago. It has helped normalize my gut---and my moods/anxiety). (I normally alternate between C and D). Of course, the doctor started me on hormone replacement therapy (Premarin) at the same time, so it may be a combination of the two that is helping. I had more trouble with my tummy with just estrogen in my system, but with both estrogen and progesterine, I'm doing much better.

The only problem I'm having is insomnia. I take the Pristiq in the morning and am wondering if I should take it at night instead. (I had insomnia before I took it, but that was because hot flashes were constantly waking me up....I'm going through menopause), but now I can't sleep unless I take either an Ambien or some Klonopin.

I would love to hear from anyone else taking the Pristiq. Does it keep you awake at night?

#337489 - 10/28/08 01:21 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

am from uk to i have ibs c and i take amitriptyline 10mg to babes i hate the thought of a antidepressant but meant to work hunny

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#337914 - 11/10/08 01:20 PM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

i have never heard of those drugs and I'm going to doctor in December and I was thinking of maybe asking to get Citalopram, but im not sure. I have noticed Amitriptyline contains lactose, which is not supposed to be good for people with IBS???????

#368789 - 12/13/12 06:45 PM
Calival

Reged: 12/13/12

I am on 20mg of citalopram for anxiety. My doc wants me to take 10mg at night for the IBS pain. I don't want to deal with feeling dizzy and groggy in the morning. Does this occur?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review