All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Amitriptyline ????
      #328934 - 04/27/08 04:13 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

ok well last week my doc gave me a prescription of amitriptyline to take - my gastro had suggested it for my ibs and i know its suggestred for fibro pain - and i get lots of headaches(see previous post) i just wondered if anyone here takes it or has taken it - what dose were you on and how did ui find it >? i have been given 10mg am too scared to take it as im alraedy on mirtazapine for anxiety and depression however i want to come off that but he has put me back on every day with those - i was on every other day ! i just dont know whats causing what right now !! Just wondered what your experiences are with this ! ?

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Amitriptyline ???? new
      #329163 - 04/30/08 01:47 PM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

I tried a low dose many years ago for headaches. It didn't work for me but caused migraines. I just read on another healthboard that several people are taking it for IBS & think it is helping. Since you are already on meds for anxiety & depression could you start with a lower dose of the amitriptyline than 10mg? Your dr must have thought it would be ok to take them together but I would be scared also.

#329485 - 05/07/08 11:41 AM
annieb

Reged: 10/01/07

I've been on 10 mg of this for about 3 months now. I think it does help me somewhat. Occassionally I take low dose of lorazapem to sleep better too and taking both together didn't hurt me any..actually worked better. It really depends on how late I eat and what I eat/drink as I'm kind of a late eater. Usually take the amp. just before bed. hope this helps. I would say give it a try if you haven't already. I'm going back to see my doctor next week so will see if she wants me to continue this dosage or not..

#329760 - 05/14/08 11:52 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I've taken 10mg of amitriptyline for about 18 months. It took about 6wks before it kicked it, but once it did, it completely eliminated all serious D attacks. I still have issues with gas and have to watch for C. It has completely changed my life.

#329776 - 05/14/08 03:41 PM
budweiser

Reged: 05/12/08

Hey,
Can't help with the Amitripline but as for your anxiety and depression..have you tried an herbal remedy? I suffer from mild depression and have panic attacks that have left me shaking and afraid to leave the house..I use St Johns wort.Within a few weeks i noticed a huge relief.My sister inlaw uses 5HTP and says it works for her. I was also told that something called aux Vomica is good for anxiety and depression but i haven't tried it.
I don't know your perticular circumstances but a natural remedy might help better than pumping more drugs in.. Good luck

#329782 - 05/14/08 05:04 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

The original poster is not looking for a remedy for depression or anxiety - she's looking for pain relief for her IBS and Fibro. Amitriptyline has been proven to be effective for pain relief in small (sub-clinical) doses. St. John's Wort may work for depression but does not help with Fibro pain.

My doctor prescribed a similar tricyclic antidepressant for my IC pain - she actually prescribed despiramine because it tends to have fewer side effects than amitriptyline. I took it for several days, not long enough to get any pain relief - it caused my heart to race uncontrollably so I had to stop taking it. I was nervous about taking it anyway because I'm IBS-C. One of the side effects is constipation, so that my work to your advantage if you're IBS-D.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

--------------------
IBS-C

#329789 - 05/15/08 04:48 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

wow - thanks so much for your replies - i havent started taking it yet - as i wanted to get off my anti depressants before i started something else !! im only on one every four days now - i am not depressed to the state wher ei need them anymore - yes my anxiety is up but i am comin off these anti deps and my ibs is all over the place so it would be !!

I dont know weather i want to put anything else into my body to be honest but some days i can be in so much pain !!

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 618 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2143

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review