All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Came to realization today
      #327927 - 04/07/08 02:02 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

I ate IBS safe foods all day today. This afternoon I started getting a headache, no doubt due from no caffeine. So I had a few sips of Dr. Pepper and my tummy hurt. Problem is, no caffeine = migraine. I'm determined to give up this awful man-made chemical that I'm addicted to.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Came to realization today new
      #327928 - 04/07/08 02:05 PM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

take your favorite pain killer for the headache. luckily you can get past caffeine withdrawl in a day or two. of course, many people think they need caffeine even if they don't.

#327935 - 04/07/08 03:10 PM
IslandBride5

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Try soy chai! That has caffeine in it but doesn't bother my stomach...........worth a try!

--------------------
Meet my sweet dog Marley!

#327950 - 04/07/08 09:17 PM

Unregistered

I totally sympathize with you. Pre-IBS, I was a daily coffee drinker. If I didn't have coffee, I would have the sickest headache. Terrible stabbing pain through one of my temples followed by lots of puking.

Definitely can't be so great for you if there are withdrawals like those after one morning without.

These days I do drink a cup of black tea with my oatmeal in the morning and it doesn't hurt my stomach. I also don't get the same withdrawal headaches if I don't have the tea.

#327954 - 04/08/08 05:29 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

WRONG - you are addicted to caffeine. I had the same exact symptoms but they went away in about two to three weeks. In the meantime take Advil.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#327981 - 04/08/08 10:25 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

You can do it! I had a headache for about 9-10 days and then I was fine. I took lots of Tylenol. I have been caffeine free for over 4 months now and don't miss it in the least!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#328001 - 04/08/08 05:19 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I gave up coffee last year, but didn't give up caffeine. I started to drink green tea at breakfast---gunpowder green tea---I'm really into it. It seems to help with having a BM in the mornings, but I don't feel so toxified like I did when I drank coffee. I would get the coffee-withdrawal headaches, too---but don't get them when I skip the green tea for a few days.

I don't exactly know how much caffeine is in green tea---probably less than coffee. It's a lot gentler on my system.

Calli

Re: Came to realization today - update new
      #328022 - 04/09/08 11:49 AM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

I am on my second day of no soda. It's pretty wonderful. I did get a little bloated last night because I ate a little dairy, but I have realized the last two days that this can be controlled somewhat (I know not for all people) with diet. I've been poisoning my poor tummy with soda. Hopefully I can keep feeling great. Heather is sooooo right!

Re: Came to realization today - update new
      #328039 - 04/09/08 03:54 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

And the caffeine is also out of you system by now! Another poison! I remember when I gave up coffee a few years ago. I thought I'd die by lunchtime. But after a few days I was over the caffeine addiction. Now I need my peppermint tea in the morning to get me kick-started!

Good luck to you!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1991

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review