All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
turkey=death
      #323784 - 02/01/08 06:50 PM
juno151

Reged: 01/29/08

i ate some foster farms honey smoked turkey breast over the last few days and i am having some of the worst BMs i have had in months. I've been eating it in small amounts on french bread and after rice in the morning. all the times i have eaten it i have followed it up with altoids like pills and peppermint tea. so my question is this, is it possible that its the brand or something in it or is turkey a trigger for me. it also seems like honey might be a trigger. I'm not really sure but honey nut cheerios, honey graham crackers and that turkey all make me run for the bathroom :S. i have been going through a lot to get my stomach back on track and there isn't a single recipe in the eating for IBS book that helps me anymore (they used to for a few months.) anyone have any suggestions? all i really eat is plain white rice( somtimes some soy sauce), french bread, graham crackers, baked lays, and corn check with soy milk. i follow everything with peppermint tea. please help with any advice or ideas. i have no clue what the problem might be.

IBS-D 7 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: turkey=death new
      #323786 - 02/01/08 07:35 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I don't have a problem with turkey at all, but my sister who also has IBS-D, can't deal with turkey, either. She says it gives her instant D. So, I don't have any advice for you, but you aren't alone.

#323788 - 02/01/08 08:27 PM
juno151

Reged: 01/29/08

ok thanks thats good to know. i didnt know if it was even reasonable for it to do that me.

#323790 - 02/01/08 10:09 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

I think it's important to remember to stick to very lean turkey and have lots of soluble fibre with it.
Some brands of turkey meat are very fatty or it could be the glaze they use etc..
I hope you can find some lean turkey that both you can enjoy.

If not, could be you are just really sensitive.

#323800 - 02/02/08 09:15 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I also have problems with Turkey. I can only eat turkey breast. The brand I always buy and never have a problem with is Boar's Head Oven Gold Turkey. I also find that I can't even eat that turkey if its more than a day or two old. Otherwise, it will give me major acid reflux and bothers my stomach. I've read that the best turkey to eat is Turkey breast, because its low in sodium, fat and preservatives. I find that preservatives really bother my ibs! Especially the preservatives they use in cold cuts! That's what makes Boar's Head is so safe! Also, I have read and experianced that the non-flavored turkey is the safest. Feel better!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Edited by Sweetd (02/02/08 09:17 AM)

#323842 - 02/02/08 06:28 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Turkey gives me tons of gas so I have tried eating the store baked (shoprite) natural turkey that they actually cook and slice in the store. I have only had small amounts and so far so good. But you are not alone. Do you take an SFS? Maybe that will help with the d. Feel better.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#323878 - 02/03/08 05:13 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Turkey luncheon meats often are high in preservatives or other additives that cause gas and D with IBSers. I can only eat the organic - Boars Head is good too. Better yet is the turkey breast you make yourself--that way you know what is in it.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#323882 - 02/03/08 06:33 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Sometimes they inject dairy into poultry, who knows why...

Could you be allergic to poultry?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#325057 - 02/20/08 01:06 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

One of my worst attacks ever was after eating turkey. Needless to say, I quit turkey... cold turkey...

Seriously, though, your problem might possibly have been the "honey smoked" aspect of it. I got honey smoked chicken once from the deli (it was either Boar's Head or organic... no yucky ingredients), and it gave me D. I have no idea why, but I was stable at the time and had not eaten anything else new or questionable. Ate it again and had same result.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review