All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Update on my New Quest
      #321817 - 01/07/08 09:56 AM

Unregistered

To all my friends on this site:
I promised to share with you what I'm up to. So here goes. Briefly, so that you know why I'm on a new quest, I started Heather's diet a few months ago and started seeing improvement right away. Diarhea improved, but urgency and constant going was still an issue. As the urgency was diminishing, I developed a new syndrome-GAS. To the point that I couldn't go anywhere. I started speaking to you guys, and gleaned from some of you that the culprit might be the Acacia powder. I decided I'd stop slowly, but after my first morning of no Acacia and the day went by with barely any gas I decided to quit cold turkey. I've had hardly any gas since. But I wasn't satisfied with this yet, because I'm still going too often and still feel little urgency during the day. At this point I decided that I need a coach to help me figure out my specific diet. My friend recommended I speak to her friend who has crohn's disease and has it under control with diet. I had a lengthy conversation with her and she started me on a diet based on the book "Breaking the vicious cycle". Basically I'm eating only very safe foods for 2 weeks and then we will start introducing new foods one at a time & she claims my body will talk to me after this 2 weeks of eliminating all possible triggers from my body. I urge all of you to check out the following sites: www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com & go to support group links
www.scdrecipe.com
www.scdiet.org
www.nomorecrohns.com
www.digestivewellness.com
My personal 2 week diet regimen is as follows. This is specifically for me, but I'm listing my rules for all of you so that you get an idea of what I'm trying to do.
Absolutely no starches no wheat no sugar no oats no spelt no quinoa, no buckwheat no soy
Cakes & cookies and crackers made of Almond flour (recipes found in recipe book sold @ www.digestivewllness.com. or baked goods can be purchased too - very expensive though)all ingredients for these cakes, crackers and cookies can be bought at this site too. I haven't gone through the entire recipe book so I don't know if the crackers are there but I'm pretty sure the cookies are.
Almond butter (w/ no additives)
Mint tea, Chamomile tea
all squashes (cooked only)
Carrots (cooked only)
onion (cooked only)
garlic (cooked only)
honey
almond milk (homemade only-machine can be purchased at www.digestivewellness.com) I bought the machine but haven't tried it yet, but plan to immediately.
avacado
banana
poland spring distilled water only (haven't found it yet-but only checked out pathmark)
any oil in baking
only coconut oil for sauteing
cooked or baked apples-unsweetened (natural) applesauce OK too.
eggs-only in chicken soup. Boil soup @ high heat and throw in beat whole egg until cooks into fluffy egg.
No spices only salt
chicken (white and dark)
turkey (white and dark)
Any fish (only fresh, no canned fish)
mayonaise (only home made-or purchased @ www.digestivewellness.com) haven't made it yet but plan to soon.
Basically, I've been depleting my body of oils/fats, which was obvious to me as I thinned out immediately after a week or 2 on Heather's diet. And I was left with bad Gas. She believes that most of our problem is in our mind, meaning that when we have a lot of stressful things going on, too much for our minds to handle, our body sort of takes away oxygen from parts of our body to enable the mind to deal with it better, causing the areas with the depleted oxygen to start hurting or not working properly. If we can teach our minds that we are ok and don't need the body's help-thank you very much-we will allow our bodies to be freed up of all pain and discomfort and dysfunction. She therefor strongly suggested that I purchase the book "Mind Body Prescription" by Dr. Sarno. I plan to buy the book, get famiiliar with the concepts he believes in and then maybe indulge in taking his course given in New York City(very expensive).
She suggested that I don't take any probiotics for now, since I I'm IBS and not IBD. She also told me that people with IBD must be on a very restrictive diet for at least a year before they could start introducing new foods.
I think this is a good synopsis of what I'm eating for the next 2 weeks. I wish you all loads of luck and feel good days and weeks and months and years to come.
Hugs,
SarahT

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Update on my New Quest new
      #321820 - 01/07/08 10:57 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Sarah, so for how long have you been on this diet? It seems pretty restrictive for the first two weeks but you can do it! Hopefully you'll be able to add a lot more food afterwards!
When you talk about gas, do you also meat bloating, or just flatulence? Was there pain associated with your gas?
Good luck to you, and let us know your progress!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321827 - 01/07/08 11:49 AM

Unregistered

Zara,

I CAN do it.:) I'm on the diet since Saturday night. Can't report progress yet, too soon.
Only flatulence. No pain and no bloating. I'm keeping my prayers strong, cuz I see improvement and praying that it just gets better and stays that way. (so tired of the "oooh I feel better-few days later-back to square one, over and over again.)
I'll keep you posted.
Hope you are doing well and I see everyone figured the potato thing out without my help

#321931 - 01/08/08 09:34 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I own the book "the vicious cycle", but it was too overwhelming for me. I also visited her website and saw the list of no and yes foods.

I hope it helps you. I don't think I can afford to remove anything else from my diet at this point.

Quote:

She believes that most of our problem is in our mind, meaning that when we have a lot of stressful things going on, too much for our minds to handle, our body sort of takes away oxygen from parts of our body to enable the mind to deal with it better, causing the areas with the depleted oxygen to start hurting or not working properly. If we can teach our minds that we are ok and don't need the body's help-thank you very much-we will allow our bodies to be freed up of all pain and discomfort and dysfunction.

Is this your friend that is saying this? I'm not sure how the special diet would support the mind theory. Is she saying you will eventually have a more normal diet after the mind catches up?

Please stay in touch, Sarah. I was so tempted to do the Specific Carbohydrate Diet....but it just seemed so expensive and so very limiting. Stressful to try and find all the special ingredients.

Quote:

She also told me that people with IBD must be on a very restrictive diet for at least a year before they could start introducing new foods.

Is this true for IBS people too? Why no probiotics? Also, no Acacia anymore? Are you taking any type of supplement, like digestive enzymes or anything? Please, please keep us updated and I give you so much respect for being able to do this. Doesn't she have a special recipe for homemade yogurt too? Are you going to eat this too, even though it's dairy? The machine to make it seems expensive.

I must admit, I don't really understand how to do this diet! Is the friend with Crohns following this SCD?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

PS new
      #321933 - 01/08/08 09:45 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Can you post an example of a daily meal plan for me? Did you buy any of the prepared foods or are you gonna make everything yourself?

Why does it require making your own almond milk? Is there something in triggering in the store bought kind?

Blessings,
Beth

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: PS new
      #321942 - 01/08/08 10:45 AM
Zara

Sarah, I just notice you said you're planning on buying those books you mentioned in your post. What I've been doing (after spending so much money on books that turned out not to be that useful) is getting them from my library. I read it and if I decide that I would like to have it for reference then I go ahead and buy it. That's what I did with the EFI book and now I have my own copy. I've been spoiled by having a really well-stocked library, though. They have both of the books you mentioned.
Stay strong . It's hard but only 2 weeks! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321962 - 01/08/08 01:14 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Sarah,
I am also one who has been helped by following a similar diet. The lo-carb diet/SCD may be working because it kills the overgrowth of fungus/yeast that may be in your body. Fungus thrives and needs sugar/grains/yeast to survive. Have you been feeling any worse since starting the diet...flu-like symptoms?-lethargy-achiness? I agree that it is good to wait to take the probiotics, but I think after a while you should be good to go. I found they helped me tremendously, and still do. I recommend them for those who aren't sick as well, as the flora balance in our gut is responsible for much of our health.

The diet is not a lifetime punishment ... only until our body restores itself to health from all the over processed foods/sugar we eat, antibiotics, birth control pill use, etc. I was on a strict diet for 2 weeks, as well, my symptoms dramatically reduced, I then maintained a phase 2 of the diet for awhile introducing some foods back, and still now follow a modified diet of limiting grains and sugar. It is not expensive really, but it does take preparation and thought because you can't just open a can or box of something to eat.

Good luck to you. You may also want to check out www.knowthecause.com as you do your research, particularly the FAQ section. The diet there may be a little less restrictive for those who are wary of the SCD, but still follows the same principle. Take care....
Kim

#321968 - 01/08/08 02:19 PM

Unregistered

Jordy,
I'll try to answer all your questions to the best of my ability although Im new to this, so don't be shy to tell me I wasn't clear or you need more info.
My friend is telling me this and she has crohns disease. Yes, she believes that eventually one can resume normal eating habits (I suspect though that certain foods will remain no nos, but at least we'll know which they are.)At this point our bodies are so traumatized from our IBS symptoms that we have to work on both fronts. eliminating all possible triggers for 2 weeks (IBSers only. IBDs for at least a year) and then slowly, methodically introducing new foods. But also eliminating anything that doesnt feel right as we go along even in the first 2 weeks. for instance I was eating the almond crackers & cookies and I had gas that evening, so I'm eliminating anything baked with almond flour. I put all ingredients and cookies that I bought in the freezer for now. I'm certain I'll be able to eat it at a later date.
I know it's not an easy diet. I live with my parents now and my mom is so helpful, this makes things so much easier for me. I also have this friend that did this diet and is feeling wonderful now. I have to ask her if she is on a basically normal diet now, I know she hasn't taken Dr. Sarno's course and I think she thinks she should but can't afford it and probably believes she'd be special diet free if she would. not sure though, so don't quote me.
IBS people, according to my friend should be able to start introducing new foods after 2 weeks and the body will tell us if it's something we cant tolerate. This would then make this food a no no for probably ever, but at least we will know to stay away and we'll be ok.
My friend is suggesting that I don't take any probiotics now. This doesnt mean that we wont add it to my diet at a later time. She's trying to get my body to talk to me and since probiotics helps us, we might not get the response we're looking for. I dropped Acacia on my own because I was so gassy. I'm no longer gassy in that way. This doesnt mean that I have no gas ever, but at least now I can go to work and not have to hold it in ALL day!
I don't know if she's still following the diet but I suspect she is. We haven't had time to discuss her as we are working on me. But I'll ask her. She did tell me she has a piece of cake (pistachio, yummy) and mint tea every morning so I suspect she is.
Meantime on day three, I'm still going to the bathroom too often-not D but still not the best consistency, but I'm keeping my spirits and hopes up. I wasn't comfortable with the bread/sugar thing. My mind says-unhealthy, if you know what I mean. But this is such a personal decision it's hard to even discuss it with others because everyone sort of customizes their own diet for themselves. But I'll be more than happy to keep you posted on my progress and answer any questions you have..
hugs
Sarah T

#321970 - 01/08/08 02:30 PM

Unregistered

Beth,
I bought a cake and almond cookies and almond crackers. I bought the recipe book and will start making things on my own as the ready made is soooooo expensive. But the ingredients i bought through the site cuz I dont know where else to buy them. There's a cake that is not in the book and I could give you the recipe if you are intersted. I started getting gassy after the cookies and crackers so I'm dropping them for now.
My friend claims that there might be stuff in there thats not good and the best would be home made-pure. I'm not taking any chances so I bought the machine, the almonds and I hope to make some starting tomorrow. You could blanch the almonds on your own, this should be cheaper. But overall it's an expensive venture. But I see it this way, I've spent thousands on Chinese medicine, Homepath visits, Doctor visits, allergy tests..you name it.. I want to live. That's my goal here.
example of daily meal plan
Breakfast:
slice or 2 of cake (recipe to follow if you want it)
mint tea
snack at 10:
banana
lunch:
salmon or other home baked or cooked fish
vegetable dish with onion or garlic (carrots or zucchini or other squash dish that I prepared the night before)
snack:
banana or applesauce
dinner:
chicken soup with egg mixed in on high boil(i love it)
chicker or turkey
veg dish again with onion and/or garlic
snack:
slice of cake
mint tea
I sip water throughout the day. Small sips. I don't run to pee every minute these days.
ta ta for now,
Sarah T

Q about sugar and yogurt new
      #321987 - 01/08/08 07:18 PM
Zara

Sarah, I have a question, I've been poking around the websites you provided a it and I thought you really have to restrict sugars for the first two weeks. So you can have a cake for breakfast (assuming you're eating one of the almond ones)? Oh, that would be great, that would make me feel more encouraged to try it too, haha! I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow and get the book so that I can give it a good read.
Also, do you eat the yogurt SCD recommends? Or do you stick to soy or no yogurt?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35009

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review