Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question re Acacia Fibre
      #320427 - 12/11/07 11:53 AM
emelem1

Reged: 09/26/06
Loc: Sunny South, England

Hello everyone - I haven't posted on here for a long time but need some advice
I have managed to control my IBS with diet pretty much as I visited a nutritionist locally(I am in the UK). I have a B.M most days now which is great but I do tend to have the occasional IBS attack still . Once possibly twice a month so I am pretty lucky .

However, I would like to try the acacia supplement and wanted some advice as to if it will still help even though I am having a B.M regularly now and how much should I start by taking daily? Also will this definately not make me have urgency all of a sudden? - I tried Fybogel in the past and this caused me all sorts of problems.
Another thing, I eat quite a lot of salad, fruit and veg to keep myself regular and oats in the morning for breakfast - would I have to cut down on this if I take the Acacia or do I just continue as normal?? Help, advice....thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question re Acacia Fibre new
      #320429 - 12/11/07 11:57 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Amount of fiber needed varies person to person but you should be able to eat lots of fiber and take acacia too. Acacia is great for other things besides making you go. It is a prebiotic and helps with bloating and keeping things happy. Eating veggies that contain insoluble fiber can be helped by taking acacia. It will definitely not cause urgency or anything and it won't make you poop more times per day. It just makes things run more smoothly. I take 16grams total acacia 2 heaping tablespoons that is and eat about 30 grams fiber a day. I don't have C or D but soft easy poop. Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320430 - 12/11/07 12:16 PM
emelem1

Thanks that is very helpful - so you don't think it will make me poop twice a day normally, just probably still the once but regularly even if my diet isn't as good for a day or two? Also,do you think it will help me to not have the odd occasion of IBS in the month??

On your post it says you suffer with the bloating/gas still - do you still get that now you take the Acacia?

Thanks
Sue

#320431 - 12/11/07 12:30 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I have IBS-D and it's never made me go more than normal. It just makes stuff run smoothly. You should definitely try it.

#320432 - 12/11/07 12:32 PM
emelem1

So do you not suffer from IBS D anymore?

#320435 - 12/11/07 01:08 PM
Little Minnie

I sometimes go more than once a day but I did before too. I remember not wanting to take a SFS morning and evening being afraid to have to poop more than just morning but that is wrong! We should go when we feel like going.

I have an extreme case of IBS bloating. Perhaps sometime I will figure out why.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320440 - 12/11/07 01:45 PM
emelem1

Have you ever tried cutting out sugar for your bloating - my nutritionist told me to cut it out and the difference was amazing. Even now if I eat sugar my stomach can almost double in size I also had to eat root veg, such as carrots raw as when they are cooked they have more sugar in them or turn to sugar in your gut, alike dried fruit and processed cereals like cornflakes, rice crispies etc etc. One thing I did notice on Heathers diet is it doesn't really discourage sugar and a lot of the recipes are quite high sugar. Not knocking it, just what I noticed and I know a lot of women can be helped by regulating their blood sugar levels........just an idea ??
#

sugar new
      #320446 - 12/11/07 03:07 PM
Little Minnie

I have felt better off sugar. It is not a trigger food for GI symptoms so it is allowed on Heather's diet but some feel better off it and perhaps some don't do well with it due to PH problems or yeast or that kind of thing. I tried to cut out sugar recently but didn't have the willpower and I mean to try again. I have never heard of avoiding natural sugars like in sweet vegetables before.

--------------------

Re: sugar new
      #320479 - 12/12/07 07:11 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Most doctors when treating for candida will recommend cutting out sugary vegetables and fruits temporarily to kill off the yeast.

I found that cutting out added sugar helped a lot. I don't restrict fruit or sugary vegetables though and still feel good. Natural sugars in whole foods don't seem to give that same 'sugar rush' and then crash later like added sugar, nor does it seem to make me bloated like regular sugar.

I do believe sugar is addictive. Once you cut it out for good eventually the cravings go away completely. It's just getting to that point which is hard. Trading sweets for fruit really helped me with the taste addiction.

--------------------
Kat

#320487 - 12/12/07 08:43 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

I recommend trying Acacia along with your natural fibers. I've been taking Acacia daily since August 2007. I started with a ½ teaspoon once a day, and then increased it weekly by ½ a teaspoon. I spread it out to 3 times a day, 2 tsp in the morning, 2 tsp in the afternoon, and 1 tsp in the evening. I am up to 10 grams of fiber from Acacia and I can tell you I'm feeling so much better. I no longer have D or pain from IBS. I still have some gas/bloating, but it has been getting better as I increase my Acacia. I have almost normal bowel movements, and I have had no urgency to have a BM after taking Acacia. You should continue to eat your regular fiber foods and add Acacia to help with your IBS attacks. My husband who does not have IBS takes Acacia twice a day to help with his constipation issues, and he's doing much better after using it.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3016

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review