All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gums
      #320319 - 12/10/07 06:16 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Random question, but does anyone here have problems with receding gums? Just went to my hygienist and had an awful experience with lots of blood in the mouth and discomfort so as you can imagine i'm feeling pretty ropey after it. Ugh.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gums new
      #320321 - 12/10/07 07:07 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Sarah,

Yes...I am 54 years now and started with gum problems (lots of bleeding and receding) around 37 years old. Had some initial gum surgery done in bad spots and have been working with a periodontist ever since. Have had a couple more minor surgeries over the years. My gums are in pretty good shape now but it does take a LOT of work on your part to get them back and keeping them in good shape. The biggest thing is flossing, flossing, flossing and getting a hygenist to professionally clean your teeth 3 -4 times a year. My husband also started with big gum problems arouund 35 years old and never has had to have surgery. They initially suggested it, however, he said he wanted to try to work and bring gums back on his own,,,,,which he did.....however for that first year he was going to a hygenist every two months for professional cleaning....now he goes 3 times a year....but has never had surgery. You really need to see a GOOD periodontist and try to avoid surgery if possible. You can bring the gums back, but it will be ongoing maintenace. I am now on a schedule of 2 times per year with periodontist and one time wirh regular dentist. Good luck.

Sharon

#320329 - 12/10/07 08:16 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I've had problems with this since I was about 11 and have always been told it's because I brush too hard which I find strange since I brush lighter than most people I know and certainly lighter than the dentists I have seen.

But I have always been told that they can't do anything about this.

Now I am scared to go see a dental hygienist or dentist because last time I went the dentist cleaned the teeth and after that my gums where badly damaged. I thought it would be ok once it had healed but it wasn't and the gums were moved so much that the visible part of the lower front teeth got about 1/3 longer from that so called treatment. So now I am scared because if they do that again the "necks" will be visible on all my lower front teeth.

I hate dental care in general since I feel like you don't have control over what they do. My sister once went to the dentist and was told she had 7 holes that needed fixing. Weird she thought since she rarely gets holes in her teeth. So she went to another dentist and she said that my sister had NO holes.

I try to brush carefully but with a light hand and I floss daily and use a mouthwash too. It's annoying though because the dentist told me my teeth are so good that if I only learn to brush gently I will never have any issues with my teeth. But I have been trying to brush gently since I was 11, and like I said I brush more gently than most people I know and yet I have problems and they don't so I think there must be something about my gums that makes this happen.

And anyway, how on earth do you "bring the gums back"? I have been told you can't do this. (I know someone who has had surgery to fix it though but that was in the US and not here in Sweden.) But apart from surgery I don't get how you'd do it. You can't make the gums grow back so what do you mean when you say you can get them back?

/Ulrika

#320341 - 12/10/07 09:25 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I used to have pretty bad inflamation in my gums - my parents were never big on the whole flossing thing so I never did it. Their generation grew up brushing with baking soda, so they considered my sister and I pretty lucky just to have toothpaste - who neeeded floss?

Anyway, about six years ago I went to the dentist for the first time in about four years, and it was the most AWFUL experience of my life. She scraped and scaled my teeth for over an hour - I could see how bloody her hands were, and all I could taste the whole time was blood. And the PAIN. Oh my God the pain. My gums were sore for a week afterwards. I was scared to death and didn't go back again for another 2 years. And of course had to go through it all again. This time I had a different hygenist and she explained to me how regular flossing would keep my gums from becoming so inflamed, and that it would also stop the bleeding. She gave me a free box of this really soft floss to use. Determined not to ever have to go through this nightmare again, I actually started flossing regularly. After the first couple of weeks, my gums actually stopped bleeding. And when I went back to the dentist 6 months later, she told me I had a whole new mouth - my gums were healthy and no longer inflamed. All because I simply started flossing!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#320348 - 12/10/07 09:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I do/did and keep it under check by doing the following:

-brush with a very soft toothbrush, I use Sensodyne extra soft
-floss once a day, use a floss that slides in easily and doesn't hurt your gums, may need to experiment by buying a few kinds and trying them (I find thin unwaxed are the worst)
-use a rubber-tipped pick to clean along gum lines, I do this once a day and it removes any trapped gunk from right along the gum line of each tooth
-be gentle: this goes for flossing, brushing and using the rubber pick, go slowly and deliberately

proper brushing: for upper teeth start with the toothbrush on the gums, gently massage and then brush down over the tooth. Don't brush sideways or up.
For lower teeth, again start with toothbrush on the gums, gently massage and then brush up over the tooth, don't brush sideways or down.

And lastly, find a good hygienist. I went to a few different places before finding one that cleaned my teeth without hurting.

--------------------
Kat

#320362 - 12/10/07 12:27 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Ulrika,

25 years ago when my husband went to the dentist, his gums were really bad and bleeding...he was sent to a periodontist who wanted to do surgery right away. My husband wanted a second opinion so he found a different periodontist. He was put on a hygiene program which has been successful and he has never had surgery. If you follow the maintenance pointed out by K2 it really can work in restoring gums....With both of us during our first year of maintenance (we are talking 20 + years ago) we were getting periodontal cleanings every couple of months...currently now about every four months...the periodontal cleanings are somewhat more in depth than a regular cleaning. Every time they do an examination, the depth of the gum for each tooth is measured. Number 7 or 8 is in the danger zone. Number 3 is good. I have had several number 7 or 8 areas and have restored them back to number 3 or 4. Some areas just didn't improve enough so I had have the surgery anyway. We have an excellent periodontist who always trys to go the other route before surgery. In the beginning it seemed like so much work, but now it's just routine and my gums never bleed

#320399 - 12/11/07 04:46 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Thank you all for your replies, suggestions and reassurance. It's so good to know that i'm not the only one out there with these problems. Yesterday i went out and spent a small fortune on floss, a toothbrush (my hygienist told me to use an electric one), some gel to calm the inflammation, and mouthwash. I hope it all works- all your replies have given me faith that it will.

Thank you again

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#321320 - 12/29/07 08:55 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Hi Sarah, yes I've had this problem for years. I have fillings near the gumline on almost all of my teeth. My dentist says it's because I brush too hard and I have to agree - using a soft toothbrush doesn't really work for me because with soft, I just brush that much harder. My dentist recently suggested an electric toothbrush so I purchased the sonicCare - Wow, that thing is awesome my teeth never felt so clean and you simply cannot brush too hard with it. It is a little pricey though, but in my opinion well worth it!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321347 - 12/30/07 04:24 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I just recently went to the dentist after not seeing one for 12 years and I was told my gums are receeding as are my jaw bones..

Gums & Co-Q10 new
      #357034 - 03/27/10 10:29 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well, I've been spending more than usual time on the boards this morning, learning more, and seeing more. The weather here is rather miserable and I'm confined inside at least for the morning hours.

Co-Q10 is an EXCELLENT supplement for overcoming gum disease, along with regular peridontal care with a hygienist. Co-Q10 also helps the heart!

The sad and scary thing about gum disease, this can also affect the heart... peri-carditis. We must keep our gums healthy and in good shape so that bacteria does attack the muscle wall of our heart from sick and bleeding (even simply 'puffly'-looking) gums.

Unfortunately and sadly, my father died of peri-carditis at a young age of 58 following some tooth extractions. He was not given antibiotics prior to the extractions, promptly developed pneumonia, and then a few short days later died in the hospital from peri-carditis (an infection that attacks the heart muscle entering through infected gums).

Co-Q10 can be purchased at Wal-Mart and local pharmacies. I take it and like the quality of what I can purchase at Puritan's Pride online which arrives UPS right at my front door.

No matter where you choose to purchase such, here is a link that will give you more info on Co-Q10 and the different strengths available:

http://www.puritan.com/coenzyme-q-10-055?left

You might want to print the page and ask your hygeienist or dentist which would be the best strenth for you, though I don't really think Co-Q10 can be overused, just more expensive if you purchase a higher strength than you actually might need.

I wouldn't be without Co-Q10 today and I have had not gum bleeding after using it for 30 days and continuing this as part of my daily supplements. My gums are tight and my teeth are healthy ever since taking this supplement daily, now for several years.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Gums & Co-Q10 new
      #357060 - 03/27/10 08:01 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Good information. I have also heard that one taking statins should take Co-Q 10 supplements as those drugs deplete it.

Re: Gums & Co-Q10 new
      #357061 - 03/27/10 08:33 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well I have personally found statins to be miserable for me and create even more problems. I found it better to change my diet, though I can't honestly say that statins wouldn't work for some people. This very expensive medication totally made me sick and did essentially nothing for my high cholestorol, my joints and muscles totally ached when on this.

My total high cholesterol is more hereditary than food related, and the good cholesterol on my chemistrty panel balances out the bad.

You might try some alternative things to reduce your cholesterol and there are many choices... some work for some and others work for others. Not all works for everyone.

My best to you in finding what works for you personally.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review