All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
spasms and cramping
      #318474 - 11/13/07 06:32 AM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

So I have been pretty stable since May which can be dangerous because it has lulled me into thinking that I can start eating what I want. Due to some bad choices late last week I have been in pain since then. Normally my issue is not being able to go to the bathroom but when I do I finally feel better. But this time I had diarrhea on Friday, nothing on Saturday or Sunday and then diarrhea again on Monday. I have been passing gas like normal but have been in pain this whole time. I use a heating pad when I go to bed and started the Break the Cycle diet yesterday. I have been having spasms and cramping this whole time and do not want to even get off the couch.
The last time I had an attack that lasted a few days was before I found this website and then I took aloe vera juice and it helped. SInce then I have read bad things about that and don't know where to turn now for relief. I have been sucking on peppermints, with no real help. ALso since this is not my normal form of attack I don't really know how to deal with it. So 2 questions, what can I do about the cramping and spasming to make it stop altogether? I know I should drink tea which I hate but I will try when I get home from work today but is there anything else to stop the pain? Also should I be worried since my "normal" IBS symptoms are not acting normal here? Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: spasms and cramping new
      #318503 - 11/13/07 10:31 AM
melinda413

So now I have had diarrhea again today which is way out of character for me because usually I am constipated! This time it was loose and greenish in color (sorry for the info!). I don't know what to do because I am going through chemotherapy which can cause diarrhea but I don't think it would cause the pain and cramping that I have pretty much all the time right now. I'm so confused on what to do to help this stop! I have an appt to see my accupuncurist on Friday and that cant come any sooner. Please help with any advice!

--------------------
Melinda

#318504 - 11/13/07 10:49 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

You mentioned you are getting Chemo. Perhaps this has something to do with it? I thinks its best to call your doc maybe your having a reaction to something? good luck

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#318505 - 11/13/07 10:51 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

For me, heat and relaxation help the most with cramping. Also, eating slowly. You want to treat your system as gently as possible, and not shock it into action. I'm not sure how the chemo plays into this, though, but if you can talk to someone who knows about that, I'm sure it's part of it.

Hope you feel better soon! If you can just lie down curled around your heating pad, hopefully that will soothe things some.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#318604 - 11/14/07 10:10 AM
melinda413

So now this is going on its's 5th day of pain and cramping. I am so frustrated because nothing that normally helps is helping at all! Since this is so different from what I consider normal attacks for me I don't know what to do. I tried peppermint and ginger tea last night with no luck whatsoever. I also tried using the tummy tamer peppermint pills that I have had for a long time now to no avail. I am still eating the BTC diet and know that I should add other things in soon but don't want to until I am not in pain anymore! Should I be worried since this attack is so different from previous ones, or is this normal to have an out of ordinary experience with IBS? Please help!

--------------------
Melinda

#318618 - 11/14/07 11:06 AM
jaime g

Have you talked to your oncologist or anyone who would know about possible chemo side-effects? I'd look into that.

--------------------
jaime

#318622 - 11/14/07 11:39 AM
melinda413

unfortunately while I have a great oncologist she doesn't really get the whole IBS thing. she says the diarrhea could easily be from the chemo but the pain and cramping should not be happening. So I think that the chemo gave me diarrhea and that caused my gut to have spasms which won't stop. So she says she wants me to take something to stop the diarrhea but since I tend to be constipated that makes me really nervous. The diarrhea has been better today, less of it and the color is better but still very loose. I'm just nervous to do anything medicine wise because I am afraid it will either affect the cancer or the IBS. That's why I'm trying to do this with the great naturals remedies on this board. And with Thanksgiving coming up I am ready to cry because I don't want to miss my favorite holiday and the first one with my great boyfriend!

--------------------
Melinda

#318632 - 11/14/07 12:58 PM
jaime g

My guess is that your IBS body's way of reacting to the chemo is different - it's stressing your body out. Are you taking a SF supplement? That can really help with diarrhea and cramping. It can take time to work up to a high dose, but once you get there you can have great results. Can your oncologist talk to, or refer you to, a GI doctor, maybe one who's dealt with chemo patients before? It sounds like an intersection of two usually separate realms. It might take some time for you to start feeling better, especially if you decide against medicine and just go with the diet and SF supplement. I'd do your best to keep yourself calm and pampered, and hope that it either passes or starts to respond to the diet and SF, which can take some time.

--------------------
jaime

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review