All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS Attacks at School/Work
      #314909 - 09/12/07 03:07 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

Hi,

Just started university classes this Monday, and on Tuesday and Wednesday had severe IBS attacks in between classes. Well, actually had to hold it in during class because I can't really leave class, as we are only allowed to miss 1-2 classes before being not allowed to write the exam. Also, the classes are really small and the profs know your names. This makes it difficult to get up and leave for an extended period of time. Also, getting up and leaving during class is kinda discouraged, because contribution(talking) in class is what we are marked on.

Anyways, what concerns me is what happens after these attacks and the fact that I have to go back to class after sometimes for several hours. I feel so dirty after these attacks and I fear that others may notice an odor or weird smell being as I'm not clean.

Funny thing is that thinking about going through this for the next 8 months is kinda stressing me out...which is gonna lead to more attacks...which is gonna stress me out even more...don't you just hate the vicious cycle of IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Attacks at School/Work new
      #314910 - 09/12/07 03:19 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Gosh I feel so bad for you. Hopefully your eating according to the IBS diet. I also take Immodium and sometimes a xanax if I'm dealing with a situation that will not give me the freedom to walk out when it hits. I certainly hope this gets better for you. Do you keep those bathroom wipes (like babies but flushable) and keep extra undies in your purse? All of these things might help you feel better when returning to class. If at all possible maybe you could speak with an understanding teacher about your medical condition. Good luck and hope it gets better.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#314911 - 09/12/07 03:21 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Hey,

I'm so sorry this is happening. I completely sympathise with you - my final year at university I missed a fair number of classes because of my IBS, and when I did go I was so timid that I didn't contribute at much as I might have. Though I can't really offer any solutions, here are some things I've found that help me:

Develop a really set routine. I used to wake up at 7 for a 10.30am class, take my fiber, sit around quietly for an hour, then have breakfast and slowly get ready. I routinely took 1 immodium in the morning with my fiber, and I found that this really helped just to feel a bit more normal.

Walk to class. This may be something you already do, but I found it really helpful to walk (about 2 miles) to the campus, along a route carefully plotted to pass as many publicly-available toilets as possible. That way I was not worried about "what if?", and the walking itself was relaxing. It was also a bit of exercise, which is 100% necessary to being stable.

Try not to stress. Pilates and yoga are both really good ways, but find some way to relax. It'll help incredibly.

Hope these ideas help - feel free to send me a private email if you'd like more advice/moral support!

Emily

#314918 - 09/12/07 06:51 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Definately talk to your professors. They will understand that you have a medical condition. Just be up front and honest.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#314923 - 09/12/07 08:40 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

When I went back to school I got an appointment with a counsellor in disability services. I had it documented that I have a medical condition and all of my teachers were notified that I had special accomodations. The profs didnt know and didnt need to know what I even had as long as the office had verification from my doctor. I didnt have any problems and i think part of the reason was knowing that I was covered in case i missed a class or test took away so much stress that I never needed to. Before exams I was a wreck so I would wake up extra early and head to the school to wind down and read over my notes early. There have to be services available for you. I suffered throgh 4 years of university before I finall took this route when I went to collge.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#314924 - 09/12/07 08:51 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

I second the advice of letting the profs know. Most will be accommodating. Good luck and hang in there. There are a bunch of us going thru the same thing.-- i am finally in grad school and still dealing with the situation but it does get better.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#314930 - 09/13/07 06:52 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I didn't go to college but what I do when I'm at meetings and such is I sit by the door so that no one can see me if I have to slip out of the room. I do the same if I'm at a movie theater, I'll sit in the aisle seat (I used to like being smack dab in the middle but not anymore!).

Good luck. I agree that once you talk to your counselor or your profs, then some of that stress may be alleviated somewhat.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2669

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review