All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hypnotherapy, In Heather's Newsletter--Really The Answer?
      #308965 - 06/12/07 07:58 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I got drawn back here because in the last two newsletters from Heather both have included exstentive features on the groundbreaking optimism surronding hypnotherapy and IBS.

I was particularly struck by the latest letter which features a person, like me, who suffers from C, G, and lots of bloating so much that it consumes my thoughts daily, affecting what clothes I wear, how it fits, to the point where my family thinks I have mental problems because I insist on wearing long sleeves in the humidity of June, even wearing a sweater to bed.

The person in today's letter had much the same problem as I do.

Last month Heather mentioned how hypnotherapy was announced as being the only cure and again we have more testimony.

My question, is hypnotherapy really an outstanding thing to attempt and something which is widely effective, or is effectiove but with a large standard deviation of varying degress?

I'm skeptical because if hypnotherapy was as good as the letters make it appear then why are so many of you, presumbaly, still posting here and spending so much time obsessing on dieting and stabilizing?

If you really were cured one would think this mean you wouldn't have to spend so much time worrying about IBS as often.

I currently as part of therapy am reading "Full Life Catsorophe" by Jon Kabot Zinn, being taught medidiation.
I'm wondering I should finish with this and buy those tapes, or stop, and try hypno instead.

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hypnotherapy, In Heather's Newsletter--Really The Answer? new
      #308975 - 06/13/07 04:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, my obvious answer is that not everyone tries hypnotherapy. I am one who never has, and probably never will - not because I don't believe it'll work, but because I can't afford $100 for the program offered here, nor can I afford to see an actual hypnotherapist. I chose to focus instead on diet, lifestyle, and medication, and *eventually* it did work. Would stabilization have happened quicker if I did the hypno? Entirely possible.

I do hope you hear from a good cross-section of people who've tried hypno. I know of a couple people who've used it with great success, but - not surprisingly - they don't post here anymore. I'm assuming you've already read the posts over on the hypno board, too?

As for the meditation, I would continue with it, personally. I don't see any reason why it would interfere with the hypno, or how both techniques *couldn't* be useful. Even if it doesn't end up specifically helping with your IBS symptoms, meditation is wonderfully calming and centering - and who doesn't need that?

Good luck.

#308976 - 06/13/07 05:20 AM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

I'm only on day 17 and I LOVE the tapes! I have seen an improvement in the all consuming "worrying" about what to eat, when to eat, where's the bathroom, etc. I want to be one of those people whose IBS gets cured!!! When I told my therapist about it, she was very supportive. She said that hypnotherapy is effective because of the deep, deep realxation that it induces in the mind/body as well as the subconscious messages that are used to help in the healing of many of the contributing factors of the IBS.
If you can afford to purchase the tapes, go for it. They are worth every penny. It's important to remember that not everything works for every person and we each need to find what works best for us. It can be a long hard journey for some, but it's so wonderful to read about the success stories. They give me hope to keeping trying and never give up.

Caution - children not adults new
      #308978 - 06/13/07 06:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The news report referred to in the newsletter said

"Hypnotherapy is effective for the treatment of children with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and functional abdominal pain (FAP), investigators reported here at Digestive Diseases Week (DDW)."

AND continues on to say

"They [researchers] defined a cure as a greater than 80% improvement in pain."

There is no indication on how many children had FAP and how many had IBS. The definition of a cure is a bit strange because it is defined as a reduction in pain not a 100% disappearance of FAP or IBS or even a change in other IBS symptoms.

Also, it should be noted that a number of caveats are attached to this study

"This study was published as an abstract and presented orally at a conference. These data and conclusions should be considered to be preliminary as they have not yet been reviewed and published in a peer-reviewed publication."

"The finding is not a surprise, commented Maria Abreu, M.D., of Mount Sinai in New York, who moderated the press conference at which Dr. Vlieger discussed her findings. "If there was any group of humans who would be very prone to improve with hypnotherapy," she said, "it would be children -- they have less baggage than adults."

Also, while a reduction in pain was observed between the children in the hypnotherapy and standard control group no difference was observed in the other symptoms.

A recently published article on the efficacy of hypnotherapy concluded "In conclusion, although hypnotherapy offers some promise in the case of refractory [resistant to control] IBS, its efficacy has not been conclusively established because of methodologic inadequacies in the reviewed studies. Before hypnotherapy is widely used, well-designed trials supporting its value are needed."

It is worthwhile noting that a hypnotherapy unit within the UK National Health Service, dedicated to providing gut-directed treatment for IBS patients, has been established in Manchester.

It unlikely that hypnotherapy is a 'cure' for IBS. However, the research does support the notion that for some individuals hypnotherapy can help them manage their IBS, particularly pain, better.

Reference
Gholamrezaei, A., S. Ardestani, and i. M. Emam, 2006: "Where does hypnotherapy stand in the management of irritable bowel syndrome? A systematic review". Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine, 12, 517-27.

Gonsalkorale, W. M. and P. J. Whorwell: "Hypnotherapy in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome". [Review]. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology January 2005;17(1):15-20.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#308996 - 06/13/07 10:39 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Not sure that I would call it a "cure." Perhaps it would be close to it if you did several rounds of it, but it is stated somewhere here that those of us (I being one of them) who have suffered a longer time with IBS will not respond as well or as quickly. (The "grooves" of those thoughts are pretty established in the brain.) I DO think it helped me, HOWEVER, it helped along with other things (meds, diet, yoga, etc.). What it really helped with was the ability to ward off those intrusive IBS thoughts in my day-to-day life. They are still there, believe me, but so much less in frequency, and when I start to freak out, I am better able to redirect myself....THEN AGAIN, I am taking an anti-anxiety drug....

My point is that each person (here we go again ) is different and will respond differently to all of these suggestions, but it certainly should HELP at the least. I know you said you've tried the diet, etc. for a year...do you mean you've had NO improvement whatsoever? My thoughts are that each intervention chips away a little bit more at the IBS. If you are obsessing (like I most certainly was...thought I was going crazy...couldn't function...panic attacks/etc.), I would definitely give the hypno a try. But go into it optimistically hoping for an IMPROVEMENT not a CURE and then you won't be disappointed. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#309004 - 06/13/07 03:54 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Are you going to try another round of hypno?

#309008 - 06/13/07 04:05 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

The short answers:

-It worked for me tremendously
-It is part of a lifestyle (for me) that include diet and exercise to keep my IBS under control
-I'm still around because A) I like the company, and B) sometimes I can offer someone a bit of help to get their IBS under control.
-Just think, if Heather had cured herself, and chosen not to "spend so much time worrying about IBS", then no one here would have benefited from what she found.

There's no reason that I can see to give up on meditation. It can be very useful and positive. At the same time, I'd give hypno a try, too. Anything that creates positive side effects, even if they don't effect what you originally targeted, isn't a waste of time.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#309012 - 06/13/07 05:12 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Gracie, was that question for me about hypno? I don't know. I enjoyed it when I first started it but then to be honest it became a bit of a chore (with two kids and the logistics of my husband's bedtime routine, etc., I often wanted to just plop in bed and not have to set it up or be careful that I didn't knock the earphones off.) With that said, I probably could definitely benefit from another round. I would just need to get the stamina up to do it again. Also, b/c I am doing so well, I still wonder about putting "more focus" on the IBS. Being here on this site is therapeautic...and I too feel so rewarded when I can help someone else out now that I have had some experience. But I can come and go with posting, whereas I would be obligated to "think" of the IBS on a daily schedule with the hypno. Perhaps I'll see how the summer goes and start it in the fall again. How many times did you do it?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#309016 - 06/13/07 06:17 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm just finishing up my second round. I've seen some progress, but I'm going to do a third round.

#309040 - 06/14/07 09:45 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

I have completed 3 weeks of daily hypno and 4 sessions with a therapist. it is very expensive, but at this point money is no object to have my life back. i have spent much more on many useless things, so....
i am far from being normal but i do see a drastic imporvement in the pain level....it is much less than before. however, it is still very early...i have much more hypnotherapy to go and i am looking forward to it because it is SO relaxing.

MBH

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 750 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3097

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review