All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is duck safe?
      #308725 - 06/07/07 06:59 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

Duck is red before and most of the time even after cooked. So i always treat it as red meat and dont eat it, but someone said it aint red meat. So im asking you, is duck safe to eat?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is duck safe? new
      #308727 - 06/07/07 07:12 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I use to love duck and goose. Both are VERY fatty. I've always considered them like dark meat poltry. I would probably not risk it now.

Re: Is duck safe? new
      #308728 - 06/07/07 07:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The USDA says

Quote:

Duck and goose are poultry and considered "white" meat. Because they are birds of flight, however, the breast meat is darker than chicken and turkey breast. This is because more oxygen is needed by muscles doing work, and the oxygen is delivered to those muscles by the red cells in the blood. One of the proteins in meat, myoglobin, holds the oxygen in the muscle, and gives the meat a darker color.

Chickens and turkeys stand a lot but do little if any flying, so their breast meat is white and leg meat, dark. Game birds, however, spend time flying so their breast meat may be as dark as leg meat.

A note of caution. Some duck meat can be quite high in fat (10-12% by weight).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I agree new
      #308773 - 06/07/07 07:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

dark meat poultry and the misc poultry like duck, pheasant etc can be enjoyed when stable and is a nice change from breasts. As long as a stable person keeps the total fat in the meal to a safe level, dark poultry is ok from time to time -when stable.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 703 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2038

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review