All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Great Resturant-Olive Garden
      #307355 - 05/15/07 04:41 PM
mdurante

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Does anyone find Olive Garden the best restaurant for IBS? I find it extremely safe for me becuase they have whole wheat pasta as a replacement for their white pasta. Their chicken Giardino has 7 grams of fiber! This is a great dish for me, if i request whole wheat pasta to replace the regular pasta. When I am Conspiated, I find this to be a safe dish for me. Also, I tolerate their Chicken Scampi with Whole wheat pasta. Their chocolate mints after the meal helps my digestion as well.

--------------------
Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Conspiation Dominated.
"To thine own self be true." -William Shakespeare

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Great Resturant-Olive Garden new
      #307356 - 05/15/07 04:58 PM
EmilyM

Reged: 05/13/07
Loc: Chicago, IL

Mmmmm....breadsticks

Hold on there new
      #307358 - 05/15/07 05:01 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

While I am happy about your ability to safely eat at Olive Garden, I have to point out the dangers.

There is a LOT of dairy in their dishes. Butter, milk, cheese and, I would suspect, high fat.

Olive Garden is my favorite restaurant but it triggers an attack every time. I haven't been able to eat there in years.

I hope next time you go you'll have some of that scampi dish for me.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Hold on there new
      #307361 - 05/15/07 05:04 PM
EmilyM

I agree - even thinking about any of the creamy sauces makes my tummy hurt! This reminds me - I was going to ask about marinara sauce. I know tomatoes have a lot of acid but I don't think that usually bothers me. Pasta with tomato sauce is a pretty easy dinner for me, but I don't remember seeing it on any of the lists.

#307365 - 05/15/07 05:09 PM
mdurante

Yes, I'm aware of the dairy, cheese, etc. That's why I'm so glad they have a safe option of Chicken Giardino. It has a lemon-herb sauce. Which is a lot safer than alfredo sauce or any of those buttery sauces they offer. So, if you wanted to take your family out for dinner, this would be the restaurant you could try since it has the safe option. Be sure to request wheat pasta for extra fiber. Most italian resturants have so many dangerous choices, so I thought that Olive Garden was really good to offer subsitutions, gluten-free choices, high fiber choices, and all of that stuff.

--------------------

#307366 - 05/15/07 05:10 PM
EmilyM

I don't know if anyone has a Fazoli's near them (I used to in Kentucky but they don't have them in Chicago) - but they started offering whole wheat pasta too.

#307367 - 05/15/07 05:12 PM
mdurante

Hey- about tomato sauce. I notice that if i choose really good quality tomato sauce that are made with whole peeled tomatoes. I tolerate it pretty well. The homemade tomato sauce is the best because you can buy the can of already peeled tomatoes to avoid any gassy stuff from their skin. Heather's diet usually recommends puree all veggies, so tomato sauce is in a sense purreed.just be careful with the skin. Even. at the rare ocassions when I'm backed up, I find very small amounts of tomato soup makes me go to the BM. I don't know why, but maybe it's the heat that promotes pertayalisis (sp).

--------------------

#307373 - 05/15/07 05:53 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Ouch!! That's all I can think of when anyone mentions Olive Garden! The breadsticks are loaded with butter, most of the sauces are fatty and full of dairy, the salad kills me, and I can NOT eat anything with whole wheat pasta. You are very lucky you can enjoy their food! I skip right past Olive Garden and opt for Panera!

Hey...eat a breadstick for me! Enjoy.

MeiMei

#307377 - 05/15/07 07:08 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

The last time I went there, I told the waitress I had a dairy allergy (easier to explain than saying Irritable Bowel Syndrome - lol) and I was able to get a meatless, pizza without any cheese on it. They were pretty accomodating and answered my questions about the soups.

Usually, whole wheat is difficult for IBSers (A, C, and D) to digest because it's higher in IF. So it's not recommended if you're following the IBS Diet and/or trying to get stable. (Just a reminder for any newbies reading this.)

Edited by Maria!Maria! (05/15/07 07:10 PM)

#307378 - 05/15/07 07:09 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I have to say I am way jealous of you going to Olive Garden! It used to be my fave restaurant and then on 3 separate times with 3 separate dishes (even different sauces) I had severe attacks and will not attempt to go back in fear of the pain. I'm so jealous.

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6932

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review