All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hungry all the time--
      #305512 - 04/20/07 09:22 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Since learning about IBS, I've given up all dairy (used to eat mozzarela), whole wheat, and most fats (except for a couple of tsp of olive oil per day). Now I'm eating lots of brown rice, a bit of tofu, small amounts of soymilk, pasta, some white chicken, and cooked vegetables in soup, etc., but I REALLY get hungry between meals. Why is that?

Is it the less fat, or less protein, or what? Anybody else experienced this? what can I eat that will "last longer?"

Also, I read in somebody's post that Salt is an IBS trigger. Why is that? I think I eat too much salt--I sort of crave it. I don't use table salt, but put tamari soy sauce on things--and I eat Miso soup (salty) pretty often, too.

Thanks,

C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Eat more often. new
      #305546 - 04/20/07 03:12 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Most people find themselves a lot more hungry than usual when they start this diet. You need to eat more often. Many people eat six or seven times a day - smaller meals - myself included. White rice is easier to digest than brown rice. And I've never heard of salt being a trigger, though I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it causes problems for some because of how inconsistent IBS is and how it effects everyone differently. If you are concerned about your salt intake, you can speak with your doc or with a nutritionist and see what they have to say.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Hungry all the time-- new
      #305557 - 04/20/07 05:14 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You might also try to increase your protein.

#305838 - 04/24/07 06:25 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

The change in diet has probably caused your body to wonder what's happening. Give it time and your hunger should match what and when you eat better. I also found that adding more soluable fiber made me feel fuller longer. Try eating things like millet (my daughter says it takes like wheat thins), quinoa, grits aka polenta (ground corn). Lots of good nutrition. Heather's recipe for Will's Dreamy Lemon Rice Pudding is a real stick to your ribs recipe, like oatmeal. I've used white and brown medium grain rice. It cooks differently but turns out the same. I flavor it with cinnamon and brown sugar or maple sugar. I eat it for breakfast, snack or dessert. Lentil and bean soups, hummus are all very heavy and filling. All of these can be made ahead, put in containers and frozen for when you want them.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#305856 - 04/25/07 08:03 AM
snoopy101

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Michiana USA

The first day my husband tried this he called me saying, "Get on the boards and find me something to eat!!!!"

Many folks eat 2 1/2 meals a day (that half being the coffee and pastry). One of the hard things that you will have to train yourself to do is realize that is ok to eat more meals through out the day. It is actually BETTER for you to snack through out the day. Check out the snack page

Red meat is very filling. So is fat. (even the lean meats are marbled with fat) Just my thoughts, but I think it takes longer to digest all the gunk that is in these sort of meals so you feel full longer.

--------------------
Wife to a teriffic husband. Mother to 6 awesome kids.

#305857 - 04/25/07 08:07 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Catnut-thanks for the suggestions.

I started eating more often, but I'm still getting hungry. Not that I worry about it too much. And I've "craving" something--I don't know what. I'm not used to eating sweets like puddings so often and they don't seem to satisfy the "craving" feeling.

I just tried adding rice protein powder to my rice cream for breakfast--maybe I need more protein. We'll see if it sticks to my ribs longer.

C

Re: I agree with hoho.... new
      #305892 - 04/25/07 05:27 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Plan to eat SMALL meals - breakfast, mid morn, noon, mid aft, supper (still keep it small) and bedtime. Aim for 1 soluble fibre, and one other thing. Keep in mind, protein is great to help you feel full. Then, also try a SF with a cup of applesauce, or a banana and a few nuts (chew well), white bread and a small tsp peanut butter, ....

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: I thought new
      #305893 - 04/25/07 05:38 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

the key to longevity and health is small simple meals only 3 times a day - i read overworking your digestion is bad for you

Re: I thought new
      #305903 - 04/25/07 08:23 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Most nutritionists I've spoken to have said to eat 5-6 meals per day. You have your main 3 - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then the 2 or 3 inbetween are more like snacks. It really helps to keep your blood sugar from spiking, and it prevents you from being sluggish in the afternoons.

3 meals a day
      #305904 - 04/25/07 08:35 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Speaking only for myself here, but if ate only three meals a day with the diet I have, I'd be one super grouchy monster because I'm hungry two hours after I eat. If I'm up for a 16 hour day, I'm eating eight times. Small meals, easy to digest. Nothing keeps me from feeling hungry for more than 2-3 hours.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 761 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2169

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review