All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need opinions on whole wheat toast?
      #305065 - 04/16/07 07:37 AM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

Hi,
My special needs daughter is IBS-C. We have been on the diet since last September. I wanted to get some more IF into her to help get things moving better for her. She does get IF thru cooked vegies right now but I know she needs more IF so I thought might be OK to try a slice of whole wheat bread which she hasn't had in almost a year. It was from the health store and only ingredients in it are whole wheat flour, honey, water, yeast and salt. Well I gave her about a half a slice of it last night and this morning she woke very early and proceeded to have intense outbursts (she is nonverbal) and screaming. It really seems to be related to the whole wheat bread cause she has been so happy this past week.
When reintroducing that type of IF, can it cause that much discomfort? For those of you who are IBS-C and have been stable, are you now able to tolerate whole wheat bread or is it always something you need to stay away from?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need opinions on whole wheat toast? new
      #305071 - 04/16/07 08:11 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Teresa Louise,
I am IBS-C, and I can go for weeks on end with no problems then one day out of the blue I start having problems with pain gas & bloating. No Rhyme nor reason. If the whole wheat toast was the only difference maybe that was the culpert. Have you tried fruits for more IF? I would start out with bananas, applesauce, sliced peaches introducing one at a time just as you would introducing a baby to new foods. As far as whether or not I can tolerate Whole Wheat, somethimes I can & sometimes I can't, so I just stay away from it.
I feel for her, gas can be very painful.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#305074 - 04/16/07 08:26 AM
Trixter

Reged: 08/22/06

Hi,

I am not IBS-C and have not had whole wheat bread myself in a while, but I am wondering if you gave her something to accompany the bread.

IF is extremely important for the body, but can be an intense IBS trigger if not eaten with the correct precautions.

First, was she on an empty stomach or did she have a safe and SF-filled dinner before trying out the bread ? It is extremely important not to have IF on an empty stomach or without proper SF accompaniment.

Second, it is extremely important to start SF with small portions. Even though, half a slice is not that much, I might suggest starting with an even smaller portion, like one or two bites.

Third, after eating it, did she go directly to sleep, did she sit for a while or was she standing and active ? After every meal, it is a lot better to stand and move. Could be to wash the dishes, play outside or whatever. It is very important not to stay still sitting and particularly not lying down.

Finally, I have noticed that when I try to eat something new or when I indulge myself to something I know I am not suppose to be eating, I get a lot better results if I mix it with a SF staple. For example, I might eat a bite of white bread, then a bite of chocolate, etc. That allows to have even more SF to help stay stable.

Hopefully this helped,

Francis
IBS-D (pretty much stable)

#305086 - 04/16/07 09:57 AM
TeresaLouise

Yes, I did happen to give it on an empty stomach. She did eat supper 2 hrs. prior to it. I gave it to her with a peeled pear and a cup of chamoille tea with 1 tsp. of acacia fiber in it. She was up for about 45" after eating it. Maybe it was all too much at once. I thought giving it with the tea with acacia in it would suffice for the SF to help buffer it. It seems when I try to give her anything with more IF in it, it seems to be pretty hard on her.

#305087 - 04/16/07 10:05 AM
TeresaLouise

Thank you for your reply!!
I'm definitely not going to try whole wheat bread with her anytime soon. So hard to see her in pain. I have tried to increase her IF by making smoothies with a dairy-free mango sorbet and some peaches,strawberries and pair it with some french bread for an evening snack but then the next morning she will have a hard time so haven't given her that lately.
It usually affects her the next day. Is this latent response true for you as well or do you have more of an immediate response with the pain/bloating?
I gave her some of "Amy's" brand vegetable barley soup last week and she tolerated it well so maybe I'll continue with that for another source of IF. Do you tolerate lentil soups?

#305117 - 04/16/07 03:32 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Amy's soups are wonderful; that's what I'm having for dinner, actually! Some of my favorites are Lentil Vegetable (lentils are probably the easiest bean to digest), Fire Roasted Southwestern Vegetable (a little spicy), Tuscan Bean and Rice, and the Vegetable Barley.

Do you give your daughter Beano or GasStop when she eats things like beans, veggies, or whole grains? It would help her a LOT.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#305162 - 04/16/07 08:45 PM
TeresaLouise

I do give her Beano with certain veggies. I haven't introduced beans back into her diet at all yet and the only whole grain I've tried back was the 1/2 of slice of whole wheat bread last night and she had alot of pain today due to that. I haven't given her any other kind of whole grain.
I know previously before starting this diet she had trouble with oats/corn/flax. I did pick up a can of the Lentil vegetable but haven't tried that one with her yet because I was afraid if the lentils would give her gas pains. But good to hear they are one of the easier ones to digest. I didn't know that.
I appreciate so much all the help I have recieved on here. You are all such a wonderful lifeline to us.

#305185 - 04/17/07 07:49 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Whole wheat is really hard to digest. Some easier whole grains you might start with include brown rice and quinoa. Quinoa is both SF/IF and I use it as my SF base quite often with no trouble, but yet it's considered a whole grain. If the brown rice makes you nervous, try giving her a mixture of brown and white, and see how she does. That's what I'm currently doing.

If it makes you feel any better, I can't handle oats at all, though many IBSers consider oatmeal a safe staple.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#305206 - 04/17/07 10:51 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Does your daughter like berries? They're full of fiber and wonderful in a smoothie.

Whole wheat would wreck me, personally. I'm sorry that your daughter is suffering. I agree with Lisa Marie re: Amy's soups. They're delicious and very gentle, especially with Beano. Sweet potatoes are fiberous and gentle and a SF staple in my diet. Try some IBS-safe sweet potato fries. Also, something gentle like hummus might be a way to introduce beans back into your daughter's diet. Bean burritos are also wonderful. Lentils, chickpeas and peas tend to be the easiest to digest, in my experience.

Best wishes.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review