All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
poor success rate
      #304920 - 04/14/07 07:55 AM
snoopy101

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Michiana USA

I am the meal maker in the family and so far my success rate has not been that good.

I have made a few meals from the board. My husband is not a big fan of chicken, doesn't care much for Asian cuisine, and has been told to steer clear of tomatoes. He is also just plain picky! (Odd thing; the only meal that as made it to the "you can make this again" status is the Yakisoba chicken)

Upon the suggestion of a co-worker (I think he has celiac) we are trying to also avoid MSG and maltodextri (I think it something like that). I wasn't aware that the broth had MSG in it and dh didn't seem bothered by it, but the more I can do to help the better we both feel.

We are trying to gently drastically change our diet. Going from beef as the main part of the evening meal 5-6 nights a week to nixing it is not an easy task.

Now for some whining, as a wife and mother, cooking is one of the areas that I earn my gold stars, so to be having meals that are not appetizing (+/or filling) is a bit of a blow.

I want to be able to support my husband and encourage him in making this change in his diet. But when your daughter and husband look at the meal that liked good on paper but doesn't smell or look good in the pot, the local fast food joint is really tempting.

I just need to get a better score.

--------------------
Wife to a teriffic husband. Mother to 6 awesome kids.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: poor success rate new
      #304936 - 04/14/07 10:32 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Portobello mushrooms are a good meaty alternative. They're wonderful in club sandwiches, stroganoff, soy burgers.

Red meat is much more filling than almost anything else and that needs to be compensated for. You can add more side dishes or eat more often. You can also use turkey in a lot of recipes that call for red meat. Spaghetti and turkey meatballs is pretty good.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#304958 - 04/14/07 02:21 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Try this post of mine and see if your family likes any of these. The Crockpot Bourbon Breast of Chicken does have tomato in it but the rest should be okay. web page

I wonder if the reason the Yakisoba chicken was a hit was because it was something (presumably) completely different so your family didn't have a preconceived notion of how it would taste as they would, for example, if you made turkey meatlof. If that's the case maybe you should cruise the Recipe Board looking for recipes that seem really unusual.

A lot of people on the Board avoid MSG. You can find chicken broth without it.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#304980 - 04/15/07 05:25 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I am in the same boat as you. What I've gotten into the habit of doing is switching to basic meals that aren't mixed together (ie things like stew or casseroles). Over the weekend, I'll either put some raw chicken breasts in marinade and freeze them individually, or bake them and freeze them individually. Then, I cook husband and sons whatever meat dish they want, with a side of a SF (rice, baked potato, ect) and a safe cooked veggie. I eat the side dishes and a previously frozen chicken dish and they get their beef/pork and the same side dishes. I also try to cook at least one meal per week that is IBS friendly for everyone to eat, so that we can try more meals as a family. Do you have Heather's book? She has several dishes in there that have turned out to be family favorites. Also, try the chicken and dumplings in the recipe section of the forum. That was a HUGE favorite.

#304983 - 04/15/07 05:51 AM
snoopy101

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Michiana USA

We bought the IBS first year book and I have checked out the Eating For IBS book a few times now (should just buy it).

Dh also will not eat mushrooms (once tried to pull a fast one one time and he complained that the ravioli was rotten )

We did the opposite of what Sand mentioned. Maybe I went too exotic and should start with some familiar food that has been slightly altered.

--------------------
Wife to a teriffic husband. Mother to 6 awesome kids.

#305028 - 04/15/07 03:37 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I have to encourage my DH to eat better too. And he won't eat alot of "my" meals either. I have to often cook 2 meats - chicken for me, beef, pork, etc for him. But that doesn't really bother me. I make the same sides - starch and veggies for both of us. He doesn't complain that lasagna, spaghetti sauce, or chili is made with ground chicken. I just try to remember to make a beef dish for him later too. It is a huge adjustment in eating habits though.

My DH and I both really struggled with weight loss as children / teens. My DH lost 90 lbs just before I met him. I've lost ~60 lbs since we met 9 years ago. There is very little junk food / temptation / un-safe food in our house. If he wants chips, there are zero fat Pringles in the cupboard, or baked tortillas. And he is okay with it. This way my tum stays stable and his belt stays on the right notch!

Your DH and family won't like everything you make. That much I can guarantee!! But if you're up to it, make 2 meals. I often cook 2 to 4 meals on the weekends and it's leftovers during the week - ie - I'll cook 2 pork chops instead of 1 for Thomas and then a couple days later I just have to make sides, not the meat. It's easier for meal planning as we got to and from work together, and once we're home I hate to take an hour making dinner.

I don't know if I've actually been of help here, but I've gabbed for long enough!!

Best of luck finding the balance for your household. It's not easy, but it is possible without running to McD's or KFC!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#305037 - 04/15/07 06:49 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

I generally have to make two proteins with our meals. My DH jsut will not eat that much chicken or fish and enjoys his red meat. I'll make the same starch for us (veggies for me - he refuses to eat them) and then two protein dishes (generally chicken for me on most nights - chicken for him two or three times a week and the other nights red meat). My DH is a horribly unhealthy eater and nothing I say or do has changed that (in 10 years!).

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 367 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review