All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Don't wanna take antibiotics...any advice?
      #30423 - 12/07/03 11:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Note: If you get grossed out easily, do not read...

I am coughing up green phlegm. I had a low grade fever yesterday and it feels like it's coming back now. I'm drinking water, echinacea/goldenseal, chicken soup (home made), and resting. Everything is draining. I am concerned that taking antibiotics will only hide my symptoms instead of getting to the bottom of them. But how does one get to the bottom of their symptoms? When does it become necessary to take medication instead of herbal stuff? Thanks for all your unconditional support and advice!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

LONG reply new
      #30899 - 12/09/03 08:15 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Ruchie,
I'm totally supportive of wanting to avoid the antibiotic route!

Traditional Medicinals makes a number of cold-care teas that might be of use--I grew up drinking Throat Coat when I had strep, Breathe Easy or Gypsy Cold Care when I had a sinus infection, and Herba Tussin for coughs. There are now a number of new formulas that might help, including some with echinacea.

The best cough medicine is a glass of water. But in the case of a cough that keeps one up at night, an OTC cough suppressant is worth considering. One's body needs to get rid of the "junk" in one's chest--but getting enough rest is also essential.

During illness, one can absorb up to 1000 mg vitamin C without causing diarrhea (whereas normally one only absorbs about 200 mg/day). However, this may be different for those with IBS-D.

Now, as for when antibiotics ARE necessary...since August, I've had three sinus infections. The first time, I just felt bad forever and ever and ever. When I finally saw my nurse-practitioner, she was pretty upset with me--I'd had a sinus infection for a month! That warranted antibiotics. Of course I accompanied them with extra rest, extra fluids, and a soy yogurt for every day of antibiotics. The second time, I'd only felt bad for a day or two, and the nurse-practitioner sent me home with a prescription decongestant. Again, lots of fluid and rest. The third time, I'd only felt bad for a day or two, but I already had a full-blown sinus and ear infection, so--antibiotics again. And rest. And fluids. And yogurt. I guess I'm lucky, because I can trust my nurse-practitioner to decide whether or not antibiotics are warranted. If you don't have a healthcare provider you trust, you're probably better off staying home. But don't do what I did and wait a month, if you really can't shake your illness!

Hope this helps!

antibiotics? new
      #30902 - 12/09/03 08:33 PM
Tootsie

Reged: 12/03/03
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Ruchie:

What is your illness? Unless you have a bacterial infection, there is nothing antibiotics can do for you. If it is viral (a cold for example) you will have to fight it on your own. I would advise against antibiotics for many reasons, particularly sice they can cause major upset in those with IBS. I know a guy right now with weeks straight of diarrhea after being in remission. Yikes!

Re: LONG reply new
      #30907 - 12/09/03 08:51 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A note to add to what TessLouise said. If you have a chesty cough, do NOT take a cough suppressant. If a chesty cough is keeping you up, what you need is an expectorant to help get the gunk up. If you take a suppressant with a chesty cough, you won't be able to cough properly when you need to and you'll feel like you're choking! Not nice. My fiance (bless his heart) once gave me the wrong one by mistake and I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was dying!

Re. antibiotics. Have you though about local antibiotics Ruchie? The nice doc I did have stopped giving me oral antibiotics for my frequent ear infections when I got IBS. I got drops for that instead. Ask if there's a nasal spray or something for sinuses. This way, the antibiotics get to where they're need without stripping your gut of good bacteria.

If this isn't an option, make sure that if you do take antibiotics, you take a probiotic at the same time to replenish the friendly bacteria.

For the cough, have you tried an over-the-counter cough syrup? I'd try one of these before resorting to antibiotics.

Also, does your doctor always prescribe you the same antibiotic for you sinus infections? It could be that you've gotten resistant to that and maybe a change could make a difference?

At the end of the day, if you've got a bacterial infection and you can't shake it off, then you'll need antibiotics. But good on you for giving you body a chance to fight back!

Linz

Re: antibiotics? new
      #30920 - 12/09/03 11:33 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

On the other hand, GREEN phelm means a bacterial infection and you can't shake that w/out antibiotics. I f you have IBS D, take more calcium. ALWAYS take the antibiotic on a full stomach and w/plenty of water. If you don't get rid of it........meaning it keeps coming back, you could end up in real trouble. I've never had a problem w/antibiotics except for ones that don't agree w/me like Zithromax which is really erythromycin and hard on the tummy!

If you look at my other post, you w/see that I'm still recovering from taking 3 of a Zithro pack!!!!!!!!! starting before Tksgiving and still the effects aren't gone!!!!!!

Marnie

Edited by marnie (12/09/03 11:34 PM)

#30921 - 12/09/03 11:58 PM
Tootsie

Reged: 12/03/03
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Here is a web site that addresses the use of antibiotics.

http://www.jhu.edu/~shcenter/antibiotics.html

Notice on the section under coughs that says, " The color or thickness of the phlegm is not a good way to tell if an illness is caused by a bacteria or virus. Many viruses can cause green thick phlegm. If you have a bad cough, your health care provider will probably want to make sure that you do not have a pneumonia, which can be caused by bacteria."

Did you see your doctor Ruchie?

#30932 - 12/10/03 05:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Amelia,

Wow, thank you so much!

My doc is a medicine junkie. He just dolls em' out. I've been searching for a good doc. now...last year in Boston, now in NY, and I can't find anyone I'm happy with! *sigh*

I decided not to take any of the meds. I'm taking a sinus solution, a nasal wash, probiotics, vitamin C, echinacea and goldenseal, raw garlic, tea, sleep, water, rest, baths, etc. I've been sick for the past 4 months now and NONE of the traditional meds have done squat. So I'm gonna try this and we'll see...I'll def. keep you posted!

How are you feeling these days? I hope you get better soon!

P.S. Thanks for the teas...I'll be on the lookout!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#30934 - 12/10/03 06:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

I can't thank all of you enought for caring and responding!

I am coughing everything up right now and blowing it out, thank G-d!

The doc. does prescribe diff. meds for diff. ailments. I've been on SO MAN DIFF antibiotics, I could be immune to all of em' by now! Zithromax, arithromycn, augmentin, penicillin, etc.

It's just so frustrating that no one ever told me my body could fight this stuff on its own sometimes....

We all need to get well and stay well! That is my greatest wish...

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#31164 - 12/10/03 12:48 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I was also told by a former doctor is isn't uncommom to wake up with color phlegm. The red flag is if the color continues all day and than you have to see your doctor.
An untreated sinus infection can turn into something more serious, so don't stop taking antibodics if you truely have a sinus infection.
Ruchie it seems to me you need another opinion about what is going on. Find a doctor who in fresh out of Medical School - he/she won't have the patient load as established dcotors.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1542

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review