All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Quakers--watch those ingredients
      #304039 - 04/05/07 06:28 AM
snoopy101

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Michiana USA

I picked up some Quakers at the store yesterday. Dh had mentioned that maybe he should give rice cakes a try. So when I saw them at the store I picked up a few of the bite size ones made be Quaker. They even had a "health smart" guy on them so I thought, "ok they're good for you"
I brought told dh that I got him some snacks.

Well, he has a cold and is ain a grumpy mood so says, "Are they good for me? Can I eat them?"
I respond, "Of course"
But then I look at the ingredients.
(I know, I should have done that in the store) One of them has MSG in it and the other 2 have sucralose. (I had looked over the package to see if there was a Splenda symbol on it, but didn't find one)

So, just thought I would pass that on to you folk that the
    Ranch
    Chocolate
    Caramel

are no good.

Karen

--------------------
Wife to a teriffic husband. Mother to 6 awesome kids.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yep, always gotta read the labels new
      #304048 - 04/05/07 07:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Having those "health smart" things or whatever on them is NEVER a good indication of a healthy choice for IBS'ers... about the only thing you *might* be able to count on is that the fat level is pretty good. But even if you can tolerate MSG and things like that, those flavors contain dairy ingredients - pretty much all the Quakes do. Definitely not a good idea.

Always read ingredients before you buy!

Re: Quakers--watch those ingredients new
      #304065 - 04/05/07 08:55 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yeah, the thing with Splenda really bothers me. I think it should be prominently displayed on the label. I'm glad you caught the problems in time.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Quakers--watch those ingredients new
      #304145 - 04/05/07 07:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think most of those rice cakes have sucralose and I find that to be the hardest trigger to find on an ingredient list.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Yep, always gotta read the labels new
      #304146 - 04/05/07 07:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have read a lot of labels lately of health foods and 100 cal packs and weight watchers approved etc. Every new product that comes into our store passes by me and I always flip it over and look at the ingredients. Those "healthy" things are so full of nasty, artificial stuff! That is what they think they have to do to make something low cal taste ok. Weight watchers muffins and cakes (in a box similar to little debbies) have about 100 things in the list and so much of it is artificial crap. I can't believe WW goes for that. And everything that says "no added sugar" doesn't mean low on sweeteners and healthy, but just contains artificial sugar and is sweeter and unhealthier than sugar. Almost all no sugar added stuff has sucralose. And even Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals pretty much all contain dairy. Even ones like Asian stirfries. I don't know why they need dairy!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

To mask the chemical taste? new
      #304181 - 04/06/07 12:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know... even if that was really the reason, it doesn't work. Have you ever eaten one of those nasty Healthy Choice frozen meals? HORRIBLE. Ick.

More and more, I'm finding myself eating "whole foods" - the only store-bought processed stuff I eat is margarine, soy milk, and bread. The preservatives and artificial crap loaded into everything kinda scares me. I don't think we were meant to digest chunks of chemicals, you know?

And man, don't even get me STARTED on how much stuff contains sorbitol or maltitol. Grrr!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review