All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Veggies - having a hard time eating enough
      #302562 - 03/19/07 01:36 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been having a hard time getting enough servings of veggies every day. Not necessarily just because of my IBS, just more because I don't how to eat more of them during the day.

I tolerate most veggies when cooked, and raw I can handle carrots and a bit of lettuce on my sandwich. I tend to eat veggies with dinner (stir-fry or a side of steamed veggies) but that would be at most 1 serving. If I have more with dinner I tend to get IBS problems.

I don't really eat veggies as snacks, and can't see myself cooking veggies for breakfast and lunch. How/what form does everyone eat their veggies?

I do eat more fruit, most days I have blueberries, strawberries, banana and applesauce. But I would like to get more veggies too.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Veggies - having a hard time eating enough new
      #302563 - 03/19/07 01:46 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What do you eat for lunch every day? I typically have veggies with every dinner, and have dinner leftovers for lunch. That way I eat veggies twice a day, and fruit (smoothie) for breakfast.

What about some type of dip made from veggies to eat chips or crackers with?

How's the pill form of Bio-K going? Or are you using a different one? Still trying to figure out which probiotic to switch to after I'm done with the Bio-K bottles...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#302564 - 03/19/07 01:53 PM
K2

For lunch I tend to eat either dinner leftovers, or a turkey sandwich (with a bit of lettuce, but hardly enough to count a serving). I guess on days when I have leftovers, I'm getting about 2 servings of veggies a day. That still doesn't feel like enough to me.

The probiotic I'm using is SISU Dophilus Plus. I'm also eating Yoso soy yogurts most days and they have active bacterial cultures. So far I'm doing just fine and will continue on these. If I ever have to take antibiotics or something like that, I would take the BIO-K yogurts again since I know they worked so well. With the savings in money I'm buying a lot more food from the health food store, including the yoso yogurts, organic oatmeal, almond milk, almond butter, organic sauces (indian curry, honey garlic etc mmm so good), and tofutti products.

BTW I did try the BIO-K+ capsules last summer and they did nothing at all. I don't recommend them. (They are non-refrigerated ones, and even on the BIO-K website they recommend taking the yogurt instead of the capsules)

--------------------
Kat

#302567 - 03/19/07 01:59 PM
Lisa Marie

Remember that a serving of veggies is 1/2 cup. And I think the daily recommended amount is 5 servings of fruits and veggies combined. I have at least 2-3 servings of fruit every day with my smoothie, so I think I easily get another two servings of veggies between lunch and dinner.

But I know what you mean. I'm at the point where I need to try adding more IF, but part of me is scared to!

Perhaps when I'm done with the Bio-K bottles I could replace it with soy yogurt. I just add it to my smoothie anyway.... good idea! How do you like the SISU?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#302569 - 03/19/07 02:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've been eating a lot of vegetable soup for lunch lately. I like this recipe a lot and you can slide it more toward soluble veggies or more toward insoluble depending on your own tolerance and how you're feeling. If you want to stick with your turkey sandwich, you can have a very small bowl of the soup with it.

I also sometimes do a little raw veggie plate with lunch. I tolerate a lot of veggies raw but if you don't you could steam some extra with dinner then eat them cold for lunch.

I hope this helps and I hope you're feeling better.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#302570 - 03/19/07 02:06 PM
K2

I usually have about 1/2 cup at most of veggies with dinner, sometimes less. I guess I should aim for 2 servings, since I'm getting about 3 servings of fruit. I'm not really scared to add in IF, I just don't know how to add it to my meals without cooking lol. Veggies = cooking, and I'm kinda lazy recently.

I would recommend the SISU probiotics, they don't have any dairy or additives, and the Dophilus Plus has no FOS in it. The price of it is worthwhile too. I got a pack good for two months for only $25. I don't know if they're AS good as the BIO-K but they're good enough for maintaining I think.

--------------------
Kat

#302571 - 03/19/07 02:10 PM
K2

I guess I could do a bit of veggie soup with lunch, that's a good idea. I tend to not want to cook at lunch, but if I make a pot of soup it could last a few days... I don't do very well with raw veggies unless they're carrots, so maybe I could snack on some carrots now and then.

I have been feeling better, both the IBS and mono. It's amazing how good my IBS has been the past week or so. Staying home, sleeping lots and eating good IBS-food has pretty much rid me of any symptoms at all. If only I could stay home and sleep this much all the time!

--------------------
Kat

#302572 - 03/19/07 02:11 PM
Lisa Marie

Quote:

Veggies = cooking, and I'm kinda lazy recently.

I hear that one!! I'm having the same problem lately. If it takes longer than 30 minutes to get dinner ready, it's not happening!

Amy's makes several yummy soups that I take to lunch once in awhile, and their fat content is just right. They make quick and easy dinners, too! Lentil vegetable, Southwestern Fire Roasted vegetable, minestrone, etc.

I will look for the SISU this weekend at the HFS. That's way cheaper than the Bio-K! Our grocery bills are finally about to go way down.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#302580 - 03/19/07 03:13 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried V8 Juice or V-Go? I don't think it has any triggers in it.

I'm glad you're feeling better in both regards. -nt- new
      #302587 - 03/19/07 05:14 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#302592 - 03/19/07 05:29 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Can you tolerate tomatoes? How about adding a slice or two of tomato onto your turkey sandwich? I was recently trying to get more veggies too b/c like you I only have them with dinner except for the lettuce and tomato on a sandwich and sometimes a couple of slices of cucumber. So I tried the V8...forgot which one I bought...wasn't that crazy about it...it's sitting in my frig. but it's decent if you just want to drink some in between meals. How about a frozen veggie burger popped in the toaster oven?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

I'm lazy too! new
      #302599 - 03/19/07 06:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I know this sounds warped, but I tend to use a veggie or sort of veggie theme as the centre of my meal (yes, totally out there, I know--who, besides me would bother to give it that much thought!). I love veggie things that sort of cook themselves without much attention on my part, so I tend to roast veggies alot on a cookie sheet and let them carmelize, etc. It's mostly a few minutes of chopping in terms of work for me. I tend to favour summer squashes and zucchinis, mushrooms, peppers, onions and asparagus for roasting.

I don't do salads (that's asking for an attack). Do you like potatoes/sweet potatoes? They're really easy veggie quick fixes. Somedays, my entree is a plate of oven fries of some sort. I love beets and will often roast a bunch of them and refridgerate/eat throughout the week. Greens cook really ultra quickly, so I'm into adding spinach & swiss chard to things.

I'm best friends with frozen veggies--they're so easy to microwave and add to most anything, a soup/stew/sauce/chili/frittata/grain dish or grain salad.

Do you like soy? Soy foods count as veggies. I love grilling tofu for dinner and grilling veggies for wraps/sandwiches (i.e. zucchini, chinese eggplant, portabellas).

A lot of people say that they don't have the time or energy, but when I'm one of those, I use the frozen or canned/ready to microwave and eat variety. There are so many washed/ready to go foods on the market of which to take advantage.

Now that I think about it, the whole veggie thing is sort of a semi-automatic or maybe autonomic (I'm 34 years old) habit. I like a colourful or deeply coloured plate.

I use my food processor and hand blender alot to make things easier to assimilate/process. My hand blender is amazing at making wild impromtu soups/sauces which can hide tons of veggies.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1050 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review