All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
confused about acacia amounts for d versus c
      #300955 - 02/28/07 10:31 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

When I started this diet and acacia, I was primarily d and then became more A. I had worked up to taking 3 1/2 tsp of Acacia daily and that seemed to be great. Then I went on lexapro about 6 weeks ago and I seemed to get more c so I reduced my acacia to 3 tsp daily. Last week I reduced it again by 1/2 tsp. I am eating the same amounts of fruits and veggies as I was before but I feel more bloated b/c my bms are not as frequent. Sometimes I go two days without going and then I'm uncomfortable. So that's why I reduced the acacia...it seems I'm getting enough "bulk" from my sf foods.

Anyhow, I'm a bit confused now b/c I never viewed things from the side of a C person. I wouldn't say I'm C....I'm definitely A b/c if I don't go for a few days, then I have multiple bms the following day (not d, but uncomfortable..like if I wasn't doing the diet it might be d). Soooo am I doing the right thing by decreasing my acacia so that I will "go" more often? I keep reading about how C people need more so that they can eat more IF...but I'm happy with the amount of IF I currently eat (pretty much every meal). Any thoughts? I would love to have a bm daily. Perhaps I don't need as much acacia now that I am stable and on the SSRI? thanks

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: confused about acacia amounts for d versus c new
      #300958 - 02/28/07 11:02 AM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi,
I'm having the same problem (usually I am "D")and I was going to post myself to possibly get some help in what I should do, then I read your post. I have only been on the Acacia Fiber for 2 weeks, only up to 3/4 tsp twice a day as my body takes time to adjust to new stuff and thats not very much really. I have not started to eat things with insoluable fiber as I'm afraid of starting up with the "D". Now I feel constipated too, a BM or 2 every other day, feel bloated and uncomfortable too especially after eating. So, should I increase the AF or reduce it or just try to eat more IF foods? I'm a little paranoid because this latest IBS-D flare-up was very severe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :confused:

#300960 - 02/28/07 11:23 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm IBS-C, so take this with a grain of salt...

I was getting a bit C last fall, so I decided to cut back on the acacia while keeping my IF intake high. Not my best idea - I started getting belly gurgles and I was no less C. When I went back to my normal acacia dose of 2.5 tablespoons a day, I felt better; I increased my exercise and IF a bit, and the C gradually went away.

So my experience is that keeping your SF steady and increasing your IF and exercise in a slow and gradual fashion does the trick. Also, if you are taking a calcium supplement, try to find one that also has magnesium in it. Calcium alone will sorta stop you up; magnesium will counteract this and also be good for your bones.

--AC

For Genie new
      #300962 - 02/28/07 12:09 PM
line415

I can definitely say that I think you should keep your acacia the same but go for it and eat some more IF foods. I was super scared at first too and I posted a million questions about it at the time, but if you do it slowly, gradually, and one food at a time coupled with some SF base, you should be okay, or at least be able to pinpoint if something is too much for you. Eat just small amounts of IF at first. (For example, someone suggested that I put raisins my oatmeal as a start so I put literally only 5 in to try...now I add more based on how I feel)
Once you are eating a good amount of IF (to be healthy and nutritious), then you can follow whatever advice people give to this thread about increasing/decreasing acacia according to some c/a symptoms. Good luck!

--------------------

#300963 - 02/28/07 12:14 PM
line415

Very interesting. I am curious to hear what other people's experience has been. Yes, I am taking a calcium supplement (Caltrate Plus Vitamin D) just 600 mg daily. I had started taking that based on WANTING to be more C and I am VERY scared to take one with magnesium b/c of my previous D history!! Does anyone out there who is a d take magnesium? (I do remember reading that oldestofsixkids takes magnesium and does okay with it but I am so nervous to do that). How much IF would you say you eat daily (please give me an example). Thanks for your advice.

--------------------

Re: For Genie new
      #300969 - 02/28/07 12:51 PM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Thanks "Line 415" for replying to me, it is helpful hearing from someone in the same dilemma. I'll start introducing the IF gradually, did you experience any more bloating discomfort when you did start doing this, I'd like to be prepared and not panic if I do? You'd think after all the years I've had this, I'd know better how to deal with it. The problem is the last flare-up followed a bad case of Food poisoning and I just haven't bounced back from it like I usually do, and being new with the Acacia fiber I don't quite know what to expect. In the past I took the Caltrate D without the magnesium, with good results, I haven't taken any this time I ordered the fiber instead. Thanks again, hope you get it resolved too, I know how miserable it can make you feel.

Magnesium new
      #300979 - 02/28/07 02:03 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I take a Super Calcium/Magnesium supplement twice daily. Magnesium is a good muscle relaxer, but at high doses can have a laxative effect. Start small and increase if needed. The ration I take is 1000 mg Calcium - 500 mg Magnesium (the total of two tablets).

Digby are you c , d, or a??? n/t new
      #301004 - 02/28/07 04:21 PM
line415

--------------------

Re: For Genie new
      #301009 - 02/28/07 04:30 PM
line415

Hang in there. Those food poinsoning related attacks can be hell for both our bodies AND our minds. I still have not eaten asparagus b/c I had it about 3 months ago at a restaurant with a pasta dish and had a terrible attack which really seemed like food poisoning. I don't recall feeling more bloating when adding the IF except if I didn't cook my veggies REALLY soft. Definitely just do small amounts and imagine that you want everything "half-digested" so to speak for you before you eat it...like with a smoothie. I would recommend doing a search for smoothies. I personally started with them right away...banana/frozen blueberries/acacia...just add water if you are not doing a milk substitute like soy or rice milk. I have made them will all the substitues...soy, rice, almond...and it was good. I just stopped b/c I think I get gassy from some of those. Any other questions, just ask...but don't be afraid. Taking the acacia is only going to have a positive effect. Worse case would be some gas and bloating but the acacia will only help ward off an attack. In the beginning I could almost "feel" it absorbing the water in my system when my bms were loose. Try tomorrow afternoon or evening (not first thing in the morning) with some IF. You can do it!!

--------------------

That's my experience too -nt- new
      #301066 - 03/01/07 05:03 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 895 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2816

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review