All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
taking antibiotics for sinus infection
      #295918 - 01/10/07 12:46 PM
zippo

Reged: 11/01/06

I've been sick since Friday, and I went to my doctors on Monday and he said he thinks I have a sinus infection. He was going to put me on an antibiotic, but I said I'd rather not use them if possible. He said ok, but I'd have to come back if I didn't get better. It's now Wednesday and I'm not any better, so I called and asked them to prescribe one for me which I assumed would be Amoxicillin since I am allergic to the Z-Pack. Instead, he wants me on Augmentin since he says it is more powerful and he thinks that the Amoxicillin might not work for me. It has worked for me in the past, but I guess if you use it too much it loses its effectiveness.

I don't know if I should take Amoxicillin against my doctors orders or go with the Augmentin which I think will kill my stomach. Any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: taking antibiotics for sinus infection new
      #295934 - 01/10/07 01:50 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

You can ask for further explanation about why he thinks the amox. won't work for you. If you aren't satisfied with the argument, present your own. But how are you going to get a prescrip for the drug he doesn't think you should take?

I take acidophilus with antibiotics and seem to do okay, especially if the run is short.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#295936 - 01/10/07 01:59 PM
zippo

Reged: 11/01/06

Im guessing he thinks it (might) not work because I have been on antibiotics a lot in the past. I was allergic to the Z-Pack, it made my foot so swollen I couldn't even walk on it, and then they put me on amoxicillin after that which helped, that was like 18 months ago though. I already have amoxicillin, they're not mine, but I got some, I took 500mg early this afternoon. I'm not sure what to do at this point, i might just go pick up the Augmentin before my pharmacy closes. My stomachs already not doing good, I hate to think about what it will be like next few days, I turn 21 tomorrow too, unfortunately I may be feeling very sick.

#295966 - 01/10/07 05:03 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I just started Amoxicillin Monday night, 875mg twice a day, for a throat infection. My doc knows how touchy my bowels are so she said that was the easiest on that. I also take 2 acidophilus tablets with each dose. So far so good, not a problem. Good luck and hope you feel better for you big birthday! Happy Birthday.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#295984 - 01/10/07 06:02 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

The Mayo Clinic itself has said that most chronic sinus infections are caused by fungus, not bacteria. Doesn't it sound odd then to treat a sinus infection with antibiotics since antibiotics are by definition a mycotoxin (fungal poison)? If you do take them , I suggest taking probiotics as well. Wondering if natural antifungals would help.

#295990 - 01/10/07 06:13 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Not sure how relevant this is for you, but ironically my daughter (2 year old) who has no stomach problems (thank goodness) has a second ear infection within a month. She is not prone to them so has not been on many antibiotics in the past but the first round in December was Amoxicillin. My doc told me to come back with her for a follow up after the 10 days but I never did (I know, bad mom...but my previous doc never did that and my 5 year old never had a relapse so I thought she was fine)...

Soooo she seemed totally fine for two weeks and then she got an infection in both her ears so he doesn't know whether to count this as a new infection or a lingering old infection that the amoxicillin didn't kill off. Therefore, he put her on Augmentin and I have been giving her lots of yogurt and her bowels have been a little loose but not the crazy d that gives the little babies such terrible diaper rash, thank goodness.

My point is...can't you suggest to him that you at least try the amoxicillin first and then if need be you take something stronger if it doesn't work? I almost always take amoxicillin (during two pregnancies) and it still works for me (and I "grew up" taking antibiotics!). Cefzil seems to be okay on my belly too. Maybe you could give that a try. Hope that helps. Feel better and happy birthday. I guess you're having a "medicine cocktail" for your 21st.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#295991 - 01/10/07 06:13 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Which ever one you use, make sure you take a probiotic. You may want to look into nasal lavage for your sinus problems. It doesn't require any medicines.

#296007 - 01/10/07 07:49 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

The Mayo Clinic itself has said that most chronic sinus infections are caused by fungus, not bacteria. Doesn't it sound odd then to treat a sinus infection with antibiotics since antibiotics are by definition a mycotoxin (fungal poison)? If you do take them , I suggest taking probiotics as well. Wondering if natural antifungals would help.

kim123, there are several problems with your assertions above.

1) Zippo said she'd been sick since Friday, not that she was having chronic problems. An illness of about a week's duration is not "chronic." If the infection is caused by bacteria and of short duration (generally described as "acute"), the right antibiotic which may be made from a fungus will still cure it.

Fungus is not intrinsically a bad thing. Those who are interested can click the link below to read a relatively easy-reading and short article about how penicillin is synthesized from a common bread mold and how it kills bacteria. I used penicillin as the example because most folks are very familiar with it.

http://www.britannica.com/nobel/micro/458_19.html

2) It's long been my understanding that not all antibiotics come from funguses. This page on the Utah State University website confirms that "Many antibiotics today are produced by non fungal microorganisms." Even if one believes one has a "fungus problem," there's not necessarily a need to avoid all antibiotics for that reason.

http://juniorengineering.usu.edu/workshops/germs/germs.php

3) I am dubious about your statement, "the MayoClinic itself said that...". The article I read about chronic sinusitis at MayoClinic.com actually said "some experts" believe this. It did not say that the experts were affiliated with the Mayo Clinic, or that the Mayo Clinic itself had endorsed the unidentified experts' theory.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/chronic-sinusitis/DS00232/DSECTION=2

4) The Mayo Clinic article about chronic sinusitis goes on to say that,

"These fungi are present in virtually everyone. However, sufferers of chronic sinusitis may react to the fungi by producing cytokines or elevated levels of eosinophils in the sinuses...."

UT-Houston Medical School has a (kind of heavy on the sciency-y stuff) webpage explaining the role of cytokines and eosinophils in disease processes--what you are saying is a "fungus" problem is arguably more properly described as an allergy.

http://medic.uth.tmc.edu/hcprof/00000770.htm

So I would say, zippo: take the antibiotics prescribed (unless you can show the doc a valid reason not to), and take the probiotics. And don't worry about crossing any other bridges unless/until you come to them.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#296023 - 01/10/07 11:20 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I'd call your doctor and tell him/her that you already TOOK amoxicillin. Knowing that he/she might not have prescribed the augmentin in the first place.

Personally, I'd take the amoxicillin just because it is super bad practice to stop one antibiotic in the middle (not taking it the full term, I mean), because it manages to mess you up but doesn't manage to help. It is twice worse to start another antibiotic in the middle of the first.

In the case of Amoxicillin and Augmentin, however, the latter contains the former, thus an unfavorable reaction is unlikely. I would still check with the doctor, though, there could be something with the doses. (Augmentin is basically amoxicillin with an additive making it less successible to degradation (because there are organisms who can degrade the amoxicillin).

On the practical side, Augmentin is a very strong med and it is known to mess up normal stomachs. My mother took it last year and was miserable... it helped her, though, she had a bad case of bronchitis almost a pneumonia, and it took care of it completely. I have no experience with amoxicillin.

In conclusion, call your doctor and tell him what you did. It's not a wise idea to mess around with antibiotics. Make sure to let him/her know why you do not want to take augmentin.

I hope you're not taking them at the SAME time!! new
      #296048 - 01/11/07 08:28 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

I also take 2 acidophilus tablets with each dose.

This will render the antibiotic completely ineffective!! You need at least TWO HOURS between taking the antibiotic and taking the probiotic!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 997 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review