All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
e mcmaster
      #294447 - 12/23/06 05:33 AM
cloudidays

Reged: 12/10/06
Loc: Chicago,ILL

Hi I had a quick question. Am I correct in saying you were misdiagnosed as IBS when you actually have Celiac disease?

I ask this because I brought this up with my GI and he said when you have Celiac you get diarrhea, but you say your C. I'm confused and frustrated now. I've noticed when I eat oatmeal I get extra gassy at the end of the day. Can you tell me some of your symptoms?

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: OKAY ANYBODY JUMP IN new
      #294521 - 12/24/06 11:31 AM
cloudidays

I've seen a couple people here have celiac as well if you could give me your opinion I would really appreciate it

Thanks

You should get a response soon (Boards are just slow b/c of the holidays) Sorry I can't help. N/T new
      #294542 - 12/24/06 07:34 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Yeah, boards are going to be slow because of the holidays... new
      #294548 - 12/25/06 08:08 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I wouldn't expect much of any response for another day or two. Also, I don't think e mcmaster posts much anymore - once she found out that she didn't have IBS, you know...

Sorry I can't help much either!

Re: e mcmaster new
      #294559 - 12/25/06 10:46 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Hey there -

Your doctor is very, very wrong. You can have celiac disease without having any GI symptoms (or any symptoms, for that matter) whatsoever. A good percentage of us have C as our main symptom.

A lot of people have gas as a symptom, so it's definitely a possibility. I would try a gluten-free diet because, well, you really have nothing to lose.

My advice would be to hang out on the GlutenFreeForum.com and read as much as you possibly can. Going gluten-free is hard because it's so easy to get accidentally "glutened" and a lot of accidental glutenings can prevent you from feeling better.

There is a forum called "Pre-diagnosis" (or something) specifically for people wondering if they have Celiac. The members are really helpful and if you have any questions, PM me on that site (emcmaster).

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#294560 - 12/25/06 11:22 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

1) E Mac, what were your main symptoms?
Weren't you most bothered by bloating, trapped gad, and c?
Hadn't everything pretty much failed?

2) What did you try?

3) When and how were you diagnosed with celiac. how is this done?

4) How are you currently, any improvement, if so, what helped alleviate?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#294570 - 12/26/06 06:33 AM
cloudidays

Will do. Thanks for replying

#294600 - 12/26/06 04:33 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

1. Main symptoms were severe stomach pains, lots (and lots and lots) of bloating, a touch of gas, back pains, and depression. I also had absolutely no sex drive, which has thankfully returned

2. I started a gluten-free diet in April and within the second full day of being gluten-free, the bloating and pain noticeably started to go away. From what I understand, it can take much longer for some people, but I was lucky.

3. I was diagnosed because of my 180 degree turnaround while on the gluten-free diet. If you start a gf diet and want bloodwork done to determine celiac, you have to start eating gluten again, usually for a minimum of 6 months. If you've been off gluten, even for a little while, the blood tests will often give false negatives.

4. I feel absolutely wonderful. I *only* have bloating, pain, and any of my other symptoms if I've gotten 'glutened'. Otherwise, I feel like I used to before I started getting sick.

Another thing I should add is that with all the improvement when I first went gf, I thought the dairy and fat intolerances must have been facades for the gluten, so I tried eating dairy and fat again while on the gf diet, but I got really sick. So from April until November, I ate gluten-free, dairy-free and very low-fat. It was hard. In November I tried dairy and fat again and found out that those intolerances were only temporary (evidently) due to the damage gluten had done to my intestines and the amount I had healed since April. I'm now able to successfully eat dairy and fat in whatever quantities I want without any problems.

HTH!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review