All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Fiber Supplements - when is it too many?
      #28812 - 11/24/03 07:42 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Everybody - Yep...it's me again. Long time, no post, huh? Anyway, I have a question that I probably should already know the answer, but I don't. So here goes:

I take 3 Fibercon w/breakfast, 4 w/lunch and 3 w/dinner and I'm still going like a bunny (bupkas) and not very many at that. In case nobody knows what bupkas are, they're the small, dry round ones (I suspect the Jewish people already know since it's a Jewish/Yiddish word). I still get bloated and my trousers feel like they're painted on around my belly. Woe is me. Can anyone help? I sure would like to have a normal BM instead of bupkas all the time.

If it's liquid, I drink at least 64 oz. of fluids a day, if not more on some days. The only Vit. C is in my multivitamin and have added magnesium to my daily intake (1/day). Maybe I should take more than I do. Just don't know what to do next. If exercise is really the answer, I hate to exercise--not matter what it is. I always have to force myself.

Let's hear it from some of you "old timers", please and some new ones if you have good answers for me. Thanks a bundle.

Sharon (ex-Recipe Goddess from a long time ago)

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Say goodbye to mister bunny... new
      #28822 - 11/24/03 08:04 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Sharon,

Thanks for those Jewish recipes you posted a while back. I can't wait until Chanukah to try them out! You're awesome.

I have bupkas, too. Try taking Jaro-Dophilus EPS before you go to bed (2) and after breakfast (2). Also, drink 2 hot glasses (10 oz. or more) of tea FIRST thing when you wake up, and then eat breakfast.

In the a.m., just read, relax, keep drinking the tea, and get ready to poop (big poops!) I really, honestly believe these things will be a life (or bowel?) changer!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: Fiber Supplement - you can take alot more than you are new
      #28826 - 11/24/03 08:16 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hi ! I'm not an expert -- but i do know that 2 fibercon caps equals 1 gram of soluble fiber and you can increase it (slowy) to 12 grams which would be 24 caps a day ! I would definitely start upping the dosage if i were you. Also -- i have read Heather say to try to drink 16 8 oz glasses of water a day if you can. I have to work on that (and write it down) -- but that sounds like more than you are drinking and that might really help also. One more thing -- I have heard Heather say that she and some others have found the powders to be more effective (and when you get your dosage up -- they are alot simpler to take). With Benefiber you can take 2 tablespoons in a big glass of water twice a day and that is the max dose (12grams)... much simpler than all those pills -- (or take it 3x a day) --or the best is probably Heather's Acacia because it is organic and also a prebiotic so it will start putting good critters into your gut as well as doing its other soluble fiber goodies. With Heather's Acacia, the max dose is 15 grams which i figured out to be 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons twice a day. I hope that helps. It has really helped me alot.

Well... I don't know but ... new
      #29007 - 11/25/03 05:53 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Hey! Great to hear from you about your ....
How is your shop doing? Are you still crazy busy? Gearing up for this season, I suppose. Miss you around here.
As to your question, I am useless - I don't take a fiber supplement at all. Any changes in your:
a: diet
b: stress level
c: meds or vitamins
d: chocolate intake? (make sure you get enough for overall good health and sanity)

Anything you're eating that's new or changed in your eating pattern? Is that a side effect of magnesium? I don't know.
Tried fennel tea for the bloating? It does work, although I like the taste of that as much as I do seafood, if you recall (blech!)

Hope the only bunny trail you see in your future is that of the Easter Bunny. Love Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Well... I don't know but ... new
      #29013 - 11/25/03 07:39 PM
SharonMello

Hi HanSolo - nice to hear from you too. How's the new baby? Good I hope. Actually, getting to your chocolate question, Dan (my husband) thought I had all the gas because of the 3 Hershey kisses I had every evening after dinner, but I doubt that. I think it's from the other stuff I've been ingesting! Like tonight I made some mac and cheese (the box kind) and that's why I'm in the office on the computer and he's in the family room watching TV!!!! I'm just so grateful I don't have the pain that a lot of IBSers have--just the gas and constipation is all (as if that wasn't enough!)

Yep, stress level's been up. Store's been kinda slow these past two weeks and I think that's why--other than the fact that nobody's calling my locksmith for anything so I'm the bread winner right now.

Maybe someone else can answer the magnesium question--I don't rightly know. Come to think of it, I'm taking it because I'm taking Vit C and the C makes you constipated and the magnesium kinda reverses it's affect. I think that's what Tess Louise told me. But then I'm gettin' old and maybe I don't recall too well. At least I haven't fallen off my perch yet!

Good hearing from you and take care of your new addition to the family.

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Fiber Supplement - you can take alot more than you are new
      #29014 - 11/25/03 07:44 PM
SharonMello

Hi Barb - thanks for the suggestions. I'll concentrate on drinking more--like I did today and I've increased my fiber at lunch to 5 and will do the same as soon I get more fiber pills at Wal-mart tomorrow. Tried the Benefiber and all it did was give me more gas than I already have. I can probably fill all the cars in the Wal-mart parking lot just by backing up to the gas tanks and lettin' 'er rip!!!! LOL
Sorry, but that's how I feel sometimes. I've been thinking of getting Heather's acacia and probably will soon.

Thanks again.

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Say goodbye to mister bunny... new
      #29015 - 11/25/03 07:48 PM
SharonMello

Shanna - "funny...you don't look Druish...". Wasn't that from some movie--Spaced Invaders, I think!

Anyway, where do you get Jaro-Dophilus EPS--Health Food Store? I'll give it a go as soon as I can find it.

Thanks heaps.

--------------------
Sharon

I don't look Druish... new
      #29018 - 11/25/03 08:26 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

... because my family is from Germany. So, I am one of those "Protestant" looking Western European Jews...

Forgive all the stereotyping, but one must admit, some people do look "Jewish". And I don't!

I buy Jaro-Dophilus EPS at Whole Foods. I warn you, though, prepare for a Whole Foods orgasm if you venture there... they are super stocked w/ cool stuff for Thanksgiving now (such as vegan pumpkin mousse)... fun fun, out of this world. ) Also, I am sure just about any health store would have it... it probably WON'T be in the frige section... but stick it in your icebox upon opening.

Mazel! Keep me updated!!!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: I don't look Druish... new
      #29282 - 11/27/03 08:58 PM
SharonMello

Shanna - thx for the info, and don't worry about the stereotyping--people think I'm German, Italian or Portuguese!

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Fiber Supplements - when is it too many? new
      #29458 - 11/30/03 11:11 PM
WS

Reged: 08/09/03
Loc: California

Hi,
I just take one teaspoon three times a day. In the beginning I tried using the scoop which came with the Citrucel, and it was way too much. Actually, that is about all I can offer.
WS

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 586 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2866

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review