All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Soluble fiber cereals?
      #28395 - 11/22/03 10:43 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I was wondering if you guys could tell me some soluble fiber cereals to get. I have oatmeal and Cheerios..what else is there? I saw on the site it said rice cereals, but I don't know which ones (Rice Crispies has no fiber ).

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble fiber cereals? new
      #28414 - 11/22/03 03:26 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Actually, rice crispies are soluble. Apparently, there is a lot of discrepancies when it comes to soluble fiber info for products. Some safe cereals I can think of right now: grits, cream of rice, honeycomb, rice chex, corn chex, crispix....if you do a search, there have been a couple of threads going where people posted their cereals they prefer.

#28431 - 11/22/03 07:16 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

maybe you could check out a specialty store, such as Whole Foods or Wheatsville Co-op? They have SO MANY cool, soluble fiber cereals... the cereal isle itself is a treat! ) Let me know if you go and find one you like...Barbara's makes some awesome stuff, and I also like Quaker Oatmeal Squares a TON. )

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#28446 - 11/22/03 09:39 PM
fishnets

Ufff I'm so mad. I ate Cheerios yesterday and today, and both days I noticed my IBS symptoms to be worse Guess I'll stick to the lower fiber ones. I'm not sure if oatmeal makes my symptoms slightly worse, I know when I eat it, it feels "heavy" in my stomach. I'll have to eat it for a few days and see if it makes me more bloated. I don't live near any health food stores, but my grocery store has a "Wild Harvest" section which has a bunch of organic cereals, I'll check those out.

--------------------
IBS-C

Edited by fishnets (11/22/03 09:41 PM)

#28472 - 11/23/03 07:50 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Oatmeal sits heavy in everyone's stomach; the expression "it sticks to your ribs" has some scientific vailidity, however (loosely). In Heather's book, she has recommends oats for IBS (soluble fiber) as it is a stabilizer and calms the tummy and intestines; Eating for IBS (the book) has good recipes using it.... i like the one with blueberries and soy milk... )

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#28475 - 11/23/03 09:04 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Try rice crunch ems made by Healthy Valley. You can get this in any grocery store and there are completely IBS safe.
I have a small bowl with soy dream original soy milk and I don't get that overfull feeling after eating it. I can't do oats to well soo I stick with rice cereal products. Hope you like them if you try them...

#28511 - 11/23/03 12:06 PM
fishnets

Yeah but then shouldn't Cheerios be safe for me? They've been making my IBS worse

--------------------
IBS-C

#28513 - 11/23/03 12:11 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Some with IBS can't tolerate oatmeal, and since they're made with oats, it might be the same. How do you feel after eating regular oatmeal? Maybe try switching to something else and see if that works.

#28518 - 11/23/03 12:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I know this isn't a cereal...but some other breakfast ideas include toast, bagels (make sure they don't contain high fructose corn syrup or oil), or egg white omelette/srambled egg whites. I hope this gives you a couple more ideas...good luck!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#28570 - 11/23/03 05:52 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Fishnets, have you tried Honeycombs? Oats bother me sometimes, too, and Honeycomb are one of the safest things for me to eat! Also, are you using soy milk on the cereal? Sometimes that makes me gassy. You might want to try using Beano beforehand or using rice milk instead!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4379

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review