All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
PMS & IBS
      #282757 - 09/18/06 05:27 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

In the never-ending quest to discover the magic, cure-all link between IBS and behavior/food/emotions/activity... I've stumbled on something new...to me at least.

I have IBS leaning toward C, although I'm not C, I just never feel empty -my colon just seems to be very sluggish and inefficient. I've noticed that sometimes I'll be very stable - no symptoms, feelin' good, dancing in the streets almost, and I always announce that "I'm Cured!". And attribute it to some small change I made or food I eliminated (or added). Then, about two weeks later, my symptoms return and I beat myself up that I screwed up somehow and spend the next two (miserable) weeks trying to get stable again.

I never related this to my cycle - I've been on birth control for so long that I really don't even have periods, thus nothing regular to track my hormonal changes by. Every once in awhile I'll notice that I seem a little grumpy or that my face is breaking out, but otherwise, my cycle has never seemed to affect my life much.

I found a website online about The Cycle Diet which says that our dietary needs are much different in the first 14 days of our cycle (post-period) than in the second 14 days. That in the first 14, we can eat far more freely - that our bodies are more capable of dealing with "stress" foods like red meat, fat, processed food, etc. During the second 14 days (ovulation - PMS), our immune system is down and we have to eat very carefully. It's not a book about IBS at all, but the premise makes perfect sense to me and seems applicable to IBS. When we have stronger hormones coursing through our body, our system is more sensitive and more reactive.

I went off my birth control last month and am having my first round with true PMS in a long time. It sucks. But I'm also highly IBS symptomatic, can't eat anything without feeling bloated; I've gained 6 pounds literally overnight.

Maybe this is obvious to women who are on regular cycles, but it wasn't to me! Any thoughts?

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PMS & IBS new
      #282792 - 09/18/06 08:27 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Is there a particular reason you went off the pill? Some of us were discussing this option awhile ago, I'm sure you could search and find it. Some of us, me included, take a monophasic pill (same hormone dose every day rather than starting high and decreasing each week) and skip the placebos. Therefore, no period, and no "ups and downs". I never get PMS, I never get that monthly bloating, and it's one less thing to aggravate my IBS. I haven't had a period in over a year and I don't miss it.

Just a thought...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#282798 - 09/18/06 08:37 AM
shandy

Hey Lisa,

I just moved from Denver to Alabama. Just FYI.

Anyway, I just read your post about your dinner in Boulder and had some thoughts for you on that topic too... but to answer your question here...

I wasn't on the pill, I had an IUD. And I just had a sneaking suspicion that there's something wrong with a hormone that is powerful enough to stop a period, and of course, stop a pregnancy. My IBS worsened dramatically three and a half years ago which is coincidently when I had the IUD inserted. Before, I was married to "fixed" man and didn't use BC. While I had IBS issues, they were due to my diet, which is now 100% IBS friendly. My moods also had deteriorated to the point where my boyfriend thought I was a little nuts and I couldn't seem to control my sensitivity.

So, since I'm always up for experimenting on my body, I took out the IUD. I don't know yet if it will help, but this first bout of PMS is a drag. Although I think I will feel fabulous once I've had my first real period in years!

I'll respond to your "venting" post over there!

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

Re: PMS & IBS - Shandy... new
      #282827 - 09/18/06 10:39 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You left beautiful CO for Alabama??? So sorry...

I'm curious to hear what you have to say about my Boulder dining experience!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#282832 - 09/18/06 10:53 AM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

I most definitely see a difference in my system in the week before my period (not on the pill or anything). Mostly what I notice (as we speak in fact?!?) is that I'm more up and down emotionally and also more prone to anxiety so that throws my system. I also don't sleep as well.

Basically my body just feels "off" which as we know is not good for our tummies! I've been fighting it a bit today but am starting to feel better.

#282836 - 09/18/06 11:00 AM
shandy

Yeah, me too - in fact, last night I screamed and cried for no real good reason (of course, I thought my reasons were good, but I'm sure they weren't) and my DB was caught way off guard. Since this is my first PMS since he's known me, he thought I'd lost my mind. But anyway, since this is a forum about IBS, maybe during the PMS phase of our cycles we need to stick to the IBS diet 100% to get through it better...?

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

hey shandy (jennifer) new
      #282919 - 09/18/06 05:20 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i have some issues w/IBS & PMS. when im about to get my period, i notice i can get away with alot more triggers then usual. as soon as i get my period, it's like i dont even have IBS (c) anymore cuz im finally able to go! but as soon as my period is done, i get C again--which sucks! it's like my period is some type of laxative for my bod and when it's over, i get the opposite effect.

i didnt know there was a difference between the first 14 days and the last 14 days. i thought it all went together. that article you read, did it offer any suggestions for dealing?

if you're looking for PMS remedies, i think the tried-and-true ones of hot pads and pepp.tea will get you by. i stopped taking midol bc some of the additives aggrivate my tum so im stuck for solutions as well. and i get really bad PMS--really emotional up-and-down. keep me posted if you get any good replies on tips!! id love to know some~take care!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: hey shandy (jennifer) new
      #282924 - 09/18/06 05:34 PM
shandy

The same thing happens to me - right before my period, everything loosens up and I feel as if I'm cured. It's wonderful. I think it's because the hormones cause D in normal people, but in us...they just put us back in balance... sigh...

Check out www.cyclediet.com to read about the first 14 days versus the second 14 days. It doesn't address IBS at all, but I think the advice fits in nicely with what we go through. You just modify your diet in the 2nd half of your cycle to be less "stressful" on your system, which might help with all your PMS symptoms!

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1481

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review