All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS and Heredity
      #279207 - 08/20/06 05:59 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

My mom and I were talking this weekend and I was sharing with her a lot of what I've learned about IBS here and elsewhere the past few weeks. Her mother (my grandmother, now 99 years old) has struggled with D for years, but she calls it "spastic colon." I was surprised to have my mom reveal that she, too, has struggled with chronic D for years... not diagnosed with anything particular, but the Drs. have never found anything wrong with her, either. My mom is kind of emotionally unavailable, so I was surprised that she would share this... me, I just blurt out all kinds of stuff. It made me feel great to be able to share with her what I've learned here. Mom especially loves fruit, and now she knows to peel things with tough skins, and combine any fruit with SF to make it more tolerable. I also plan to share Heather's books with her.

But I am going to continue to wonder, "anecdotally," about the heredity connection. I wondered if anyone else here has close biological relatives who also have IBS.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Heredity new
      #279210 - 08/20/06 06:20 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yep. I have IBS. My sister has IBS. My Dad has always had stomach issues that sound like IBS to me, and he's mentioned a lot of women on his side of the family had "stomach issues" too. Of the three of us immediate relatives, it's all D problems, too.

My Mom, on the other hand, is the one with the cast iron stomach.

#279212 - 08/20/06 06:29 PM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

My mother also has a cast iron stomach, but my maternal grandmother has upper GI issues (GERD, heartburn) and her mother also had periodic "stomach issues" and I remember she always drank prune juice and took laxatives. So, I do see a pattern here somewhat. I just hope my son doesn't have to deal with this issue during his life.

Christy

#279225 - 08/20/06 08:37 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

My mom and sister have GERD and I suspect my other sister does too. I often wonder about my dad. He is gone now, but I sure remember him being gassy (which has become one of my main troubles), but you know you always think of guys, especially old ones being gassy, so I don't know there.

#279232 - 08/20/06 08:53 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

My mom has IBS type symptoms though she was never diagnosed as having any GI problem. She and I used to be racing eachother to bathroom after arriving home from being out to eat... We both have anxiety issues.

#279247 - 08/21/06 07:15 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I have mentioned this before on the boards, I grew up with my Mother racing to the bathroom or leaving us at a store to find a bathroom with D. I don't think she has ever been diagnosed with anything. When I started having the same problem I didn't worry, it was normal to me and I just figured I inhereted my mothers stomach.

All the girls in my family were born with reflux, projectial vomiting and stomach pains when they were babies. They did grow out of this before the age of 1 year. My youngest daughter had an upper GI when she about 3 weeks old.

I do think IBS can run in families. My Aunt now says she has problems and my cousin. I see the signs that my oldest daughter has a similar stomach to me but of course she hasn't changed her lifestyle or seen a doc. Like I did, she thinks it is just normal, the unlucky one to inheret Moms belly.

--------------------
Janey

#279255 - 08/21/06 08:59 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Both my mom and her mom have IBS of some sort (and yeah, it's like pulling teeth to get them to talk about it). I've now converted my mom to soy milk and my grandma (who also has diverticulitis) to chocolate fudge soy ice cream. Neither of them seem overly interested in getting Heather's books, but even small changes are nice to see.

--AC

#279257 - 08/21/06 09:03 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

My paternal grandmother has "spastic colon". She refuses to call it IBS. She also refuses to tweak her junk food diet to help her. To each their own I guess.

I would say that my father definitely has IBS - but he has never been formally diagnosed as such.

One of my sisters is lactose-intolerant - so not IBS, but still some issues.

So I would say yes - it probably can be hereditary.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#279268 - 08/21/06 09:23 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

My mom and brother both have IBS (my brother was diagnosed very young, around the age of 12, I think - he's now 16). However, while I have C, they both have D.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#279318 - 08/21/06 11:54 AM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

My father, his two sisters and his mother suffer/suffered from IBS and GERD. I won the genetic lottery and inherited the problem whereas my brother can eat anything (so not fair! )

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2884

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review