All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS Has Become A Lot Worse, Any Tips?
      #277405 - 08/06/06 07:27 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

My IBS has not been this bad for almost a year.
In the last week and a half it has reached a point where I feel completely destable.

It is not so much that food is causing me problems, as after eating I don't feel any different.
I am following Heather's guideline.

I simply am feeling more c, bloated.
When I do go to the bathroom I feel little relief, and in fact get more bloated after going.

This used to happen to me way back when I first began treating IBS and I was told this indicted I was c.

I am taking Benefiber.
I was on Xifaxan for 10 days.
I have been under a lot of stress lately, and it has been humid.

Do you have any clue as to why it has gotten worse and what I can do to alleivate?
Would switching to Cirucell from Benefiber do much if at all?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Has Become A Lot Worse, Any Tips? new
      #277415 - 08/06/06 09:12 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I can't speak to switching fibers (Benefiber is all I've ever used for powders), but I know my stomach is more dodgy under extra stress OR humidity, let alone both.

#277419 - 08/06/06 10:23 PM
dish

Reged: 08/06/06

I hope someone is reading this- I am new and I can't seem to find anything that says"post new thread" How do I post a message on this forum- sorry to butt in but I saw someone was looking here.

Re: How to post new
      #277426 - 08/07/06 04:31 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

If you are in the top level of one of the message boards, there is a heading that says "post." It's in the blue bar at the top. That's how you post a new message. You can't do it from inside a thread/post. You can only reply there.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#277634 - 08/08/06 10:19 AM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I also get more bloated right after I have a BM (I am C predominant). It makes no sense. I always bloat after I eat, but why right after a BM. I'm sorry you feel lousy, I just always feel it's important to share w/others when we have the same symptoms so you know you aren't alone & maybe someday we'll find connections for cause. Just FYI, dietarily I get the most relief just eating milky/sugary things.. ice cream, yogurt etc.. Nothing hard in there todigest if you aren't lactose intolernat.

all dairy is a trigger new
      #277919 - 08/10/06 02:25 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

dietarily I get the most relief just eating milky/sugary things.. ice cream, yogurt etc.. Nothing hard in there todigest if you aren't lactose intolernat.

actually ALL DAIRY is a trigger for those with IBS, whether you're lactose intollerant or not. dairy should be 100% avoided by those on this diet. there are quite a lot of things in dairy that are hard to digest for IBS guts (check out the page on 'triggers' for more info on that if you're not sure why )

on the other hand, I find that small amounts of sugar (real sugar, not artificial sweeteners, which are triggers!) can help calm my stomach down a bit during/after an attack.

but stay away from dairy!

and to the original poster (Naturapanic) - stress + humidity would be my bet. those things alone always wreak havoc on my IBS, together they're even worse. just eat super safely and try to do as much stress relieving/relaxing things as you can, like meditation, yoga, quiet relaxation and other things you enjoy. also drink LOTS of water and try to stay cool!

Re: all dairy is a trigger new
      #277930 - 08/10/06 04:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Diary is not a trigger for everyone. In my case low fat dairy and yogurt taken with lactase enzyme does not give me any problems. Similary I have no problems with lactaid - i.e. lactose free milk. Regular and high fat dairy products even taken with lactase is a trigger.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#277940 - 08/10/06 05:53 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

The person who started the thread was saying their IBS has gotten worse, so suggesting that they reduce or eliminate animal-based dairy products is valid advice. If it turns out dairy was not the culprit, it's certainly the individual's choice whether to continue eating it or not. However, it is true that whey and casein (milk proteins) can be quite difficult to digest, even if one is not allergic to dairy products or lactose intolerant.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#277942 - 08/10/06 06:01 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

true... but sometimes it's tough to pinpoint triggers too. dairy could be a culprit (i.e. causing the brain-gut connection ot spasm) and it might be difficult to tell, especially if the effects of the dairy don't happen right after you eat it.

at any rate, this message board is for discussing the principles of Heather's diet, and eliminating dairy is a big part of that

#277946 - 08/10/06 06:16 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Interesting. You say "However, it is true that whey and casein (milk proteins) can be quite difficult to digest ...". Can you provide me with a reference to some scientific literature that shows this to be the case? Thanks

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 874 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3029

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review