All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Urgent! What can I take (that is IBS safe) for acid indigestion due to possible hiatus hernia?
      #26991 - 11/13/03 06:23 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've been suffering from acid indigestion all week and also I had a bout of the same thing about two weeks prior to the present bout. I am beginning to fear I might have a hiatus hernia and/or acid reflex or something or other. I certainly haven't eaten anything outside of my normal boring diet and I am on a very strict IBS-safe food regime.

Does anyone know what I could safely take to control the acid indigestion (the acid comes into my throat) without triggering an IBS attack?

Also, does anyone know if a barium swallow (if I need an X-ray to check what's causing my problem) will be safe, or will it provoke an IBS attack? I'm so nervous about these things.

Lastly, does anyone know whether there's a way to minimize flare-ups caused by a hiatus hernia? I would think having both IBS and a hiatus hernia will be like walking a tight rope in terms of trying to control the symptoms.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Belinda: Re: Urgent! What can I take (that is IBS safe) for acid indigestion due new
      #27029 - 11/14/03 09:37 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Sorry you're feeling so badly.lst, have you talked to the doc abt this???? If not....I'd do so immediately for advice!

I know how it is........! I have reflux (GERDS). So.........No peppermint!!!!!!, no acidic foods like citrus juices or fruit, no tomatos, no spicey stuff. Wish I knew the link.....but search under WebMD and there is a complete list plus what to take.

I'd 1st try Gaviscon which works well, if that doesn't work try Pepcid and Prilosec (which used to be for prescription is now over the counter).

Usually they (a GI) does an endoscopy......putting a tube down your throat to diagnose. Also diagnoses hiatial hernia, etc.
It's a short procedure and you don't feel anything w/the med they give you. I'd beware of the barium too.......as it could tend to make you constipated......I tthink......and I'd be worried abt. it upsetting my system re IBS.

Many on here have IBS and GERDS.

Can also try tums or rolaids.

Good luck....! AND.......let me know how u make out!

By the way do a search for hiatial hernia under WebMD too. They have a tonnn of info on everything! I'd guess u r having trouble w/acid indigestion not h. hernia.

Marnie

Re: Urgent! What can I take for acid indigestion - SOLUTION! new
      #27199 - 11/14/03 08:55 PM
belinda

Marnie:

Thank you so much for your reply!

Well, I spoke to a dear friend of the family today who used to be my doctor. She is now almost 80 and has retired.

She pondered my situation with IBS sensitivities and suggested I try 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, which, she said, I should mix in about six ounces of water at room temperature. She said I should wait until the water stops fizzling (because that's not good for IBS) and then try the remedy. Apparently this is what doctors used to prescribe for acid indigestion in the olden days before all the antacid medications became available.

I am going to try the baking soda remedy tomorrow -- as soon as I can get to a supermarket to buy some baking soda. (I didn't want to take a chance using the old baking soda, which I keep on hand in the fridge to absorb odours!)

The retired doctor also recommended that I drink lots of water which, she said, will help dilute the acid.

She thinks I may just have acid indigestion. She said I don't have the symptoms for a hiatus hernia. My dad also used to have acid indigestion problems -- until he retired and his life was no longer so stressful.

I've made an appointment with my GP who I will see on Tuesday to find out if I need to do anything further.

Thank you again! I really appreciate your suggestions and I may try them as well.

Belinda

#27201 - 11/14/03 09:42 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Belinda remember to avoid any antacids that contain calcuim.
Did ya try some Chamomile tea? Sleep on a couple of pillows in a somewhat sitting up fashion this will help you breath and keep the acid from coming upward. Be careful of antacids some can cause diahhrea. Try having a slice of peach if you can get one, this can help aid in digestion after a meal. Remember to peel it first. Try to avoid bananas for a couple of days if you have been eatng them even though there good for digestion, but they can cause gas and stomach upset. Ask your Doc about a digestzyme to help you during meals. My mom has severe gerds and has been on med for a long time now. I have it a little thank god, Chamomile tea works most of the time for me. Hope you get some relief. Maybe Linz will have more info for ya. Feel better soon.
Sherri

#27209 - 11/15/03 04:54 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Interesting abt. the baking soda......yes, try it......but wait till fizz gone!!!!! Did I mention no pop or soda cause of the fizz??? Another no no. Sometimes the old timers know best or at least they must have had some remedy for many things common like acid today. Sure hope it helps.
I didn't think it sounded like hiatal hernia either. You'll prob. get over it easily. Keeps in mind the tips fr.the next poster who ans. u & mentioned a slice of peach (that I'd never heard of) but if I forgot ........YES.....raise your mattress by putting a couple phone books under it. U can also sleep on 2 pillows. I do all this!.

Happy u are feeling better!!! Keep us informed.

Marnie

#27234 - 11/15/03 02:23 PM
belinda

Sherri:

Thank you for your suggestions. Alas, I am a bit of a wreck! By a "wreck," I mean I have some other health problems (that you couldn't have possibly known about) that might prevent me from trying some of the things you suggest.

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to golden rod / ragweed so I am not allowed to have camomile tea. Also, unfortunately, I have a degenerative disk in my neck so I cannot sleep with a lot of pillows otherwise I awake in great pain. I have also had IBS attacks in the past from eating peach (both cooked and raw).

Now you understand why I so aptly describe myself as a "bit of a wreck"!

The good news is my acid level is way down today (maybe because it's Saturday and I am not at work!) although I am not symptom free yet.

Thank you again. Please don't give up on me!

Belinda

#27298 - 11/16/03 12:50 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Ohh, I'm sorry your feeling that way. I'm kinda like that when it comes to meds. If they say that most peoeple suffer side of affects of about 1% it almost always ends up being me. Defintely go back to ya DR., if there's nothing he/she can give you for relief, maybe try and find another Dr., I know it's hard but maybe they'll find a solution, for the gerds. Do they think that your disc may be causing some of your symptoms? Is it pressing against any nerves?
Can they fix the disc? Checkout the web for natural cures for allergy's and those with IBS and Gerds. www.herbalremedy's.com
Glad to hear the acidhas gone down a bit. take care and feel better.
Sherri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1653

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review