All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For "C'ers"
      #269347 - 06/14/06 09:59 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

What the heck works best? I mean, I've been following the diet and it just doesn't seem much better. I"ve been doing searches on the board. I"m drinking gazzillions of ounces of water and herbal teas. I'm a person who used to go regularly almost if not every day. What the heck? You know this just all seems so bizzarely out of the blue. And yes, I know, I need more tests, but it doesn't happen overnight. can't even get in to see the doctor who thinks this is what it is to refer me to a gastro until the 22nd. So for now, let's pretend (and it seems a fairly safe bet) this is it. I'm not horribly uncomfortable. Mostly sore left side (tailbone hurts a bit too, but that may be on account of a hemmerhoid I seem to be needing to keep at bay - so far so good knock on wood). But I just want to be like I used to be for "going".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For "C'ers" new
      #269407 - 06/14/06 12:22 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Have you give triphala or flaxseed (ground-up or oil) a shot? I know that they don't work for everybody (and the flaxseed could make some people worse), but it might be worth trying. I also eat "grainy" breads instead of white, which I think helps me some. Excercing helps, too. Unfortunaly, I'm still trying to manage my C a bit, among my other symtoms. Sorry about not being much help.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#269579 - 06/15/06 07:43 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

If you've been reading the boards, you know this was coming...

Are you eating IF at *every* meal? Are you increasing your IF intake regularly?

Are you exercising every day? Have you tried having some days of intense exercise (not walking, but running or something else where you're at the high end of your aerobic capacity)?

Have you done hypno or yoga?

--AC

For me... new
      #269586 - 06/15/06 07:57 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

it was a fiber supplement, Benefiber to be exact. That one worked the best for me.

--------------------

#269587 - 06/15/06 07:57 AM
chupie

Yes to all (except hypno). I will say I'm just about ready to toss being cautious with IF. I like wheat bread. I like bran. I like fruit and veggies. I'm used to eating a lot more of them actually, but don't know how much soluble I should have to balance it. Actually yesterday ended up being better. I guess I am just impatient. I still find this all just bizarre.

Re: For me... new
      #269589 - 06/15/06 07:59 AM
chupie

Yes, I've been taking that. Oddly enough, I think my cat has to have benefiber now too. The vet wanted to try benefiber or miralax. Figured we would start with the benefiber. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't go with Heather's accacia for both of us since you use so much less. I can't believe how expensive Benefiber is. It's only guar gum for heaven's sake!

#269600 - 06/15/06 08:18 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

There's really no reason to be overly cautious with IF if you're C and not cramping up. I mean, I eat raw unchopped fruit all the time. I think a lot of C'ers also aren't too bothered by wheat bran.

I think the real key is knowing that you should get *some* SF with your IF and not go and have a meal of nothing but raw broccoli or something.

Hypno did help my C, BTW.

--AC

#269609 - 06/15/06 08:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Try a fruit smoothie! Get a cheap blender, some strawberries, which are very inexpensive right now, some kiwi and some grapes-toss it all in with some ice and a little vanilla rice milk-yummy!

I also do eat oatmeal or wheat or a grain bread instead of white or sourdough. If you need to, you can use some over the counter stool softeners to help gets things moving.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Yep... new
      #269616 - 06/15/06 09:17 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

it's not cheap. But I take the caplets for convenience sake. Somehow I always end up getting them on sale or buy one get one free so it works out ok. You could always try the acacia though...for some reason it just didn't work as well for me.

--------------------

#269664 - 06/15/06 12:45 PM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

An apple a day, they say. I incorporate at least 3 svgs of fruit a day into my diet, right now that is primarily apples, bananas, nectarines, cherries and kiwi. I also try and avoid white bread, tortillas, etc. and stick with whole grain products, aiming for at least a fibre count of 5g per svg. and total about 35g of fibre a day. Most of the veg that I can tolerate are soluble veg, but they still have great fibre for my C: potatoes, yams, carrots, LOTS of squash (it's my staple besides oatmeal or rice). I don't peel anything!! I also eat kidney beans several times a week. Of all the beans, they seem to agree with me the best.

I also drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day and take 2 Docusate capsules at lunchtime, daily. Docusate is not absorbed by the body. It encourages the mixture of water and dietary fat within the stool, making it softer. It does not hold water like some bulking agents nor does it stimulate the bowel like laxatives. I do find that if I don't get at least 8 glasses of water into me, though, it doesn't work as well.

You could ask your Doc about it. I started with 1 cap. and moved up to 2. I think the Brand name for Docusate is Colace. But I buy mine from Kaiser Hospital and it is generic. Please ask your Doc. FIRST before trying these though only because he/she may not want you, specifically, taking them for whatever reason.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review