All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gaining Weight - High Calorie/Carb IBS-Friendly Foods?
      #267833 - 06/06/06 07:01 AM
mikeg

Reged: 10/23/05

Hey all,

I am trying to gain weight, but as some of you may know, this is difficult for some one suffering from a significant case of IBS. I usually can't eat the food recommended to me to increase my weight. And I'm sure the fact that the food doesn't stay in my body as long doesn't help either.

Can anyone suggest any foods that will give me the carbs and calories I need and still stay IBS-friendly? I've found Bagels to be a good source.

Thanks!
Mike

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bump new
      #267843 - 06/06/06 08:15 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

I was going to make a post about this. I've been losing wsy too much weight, and I don't know how to safely eat for ibs, and maintain my weight at the same time! Because, basically when I eat, my ibs acts up.
Most things that I eat for ibs are very low in fat/calories. I would feel that I would have to eat these things constantly to maintain my weight.

Re: Gaining Weight - High Calorie/Carb IBS-Friendly Foods? new
      #267848 - 06/06/06 08:26 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

oatmeal
pasta
rice

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Potatoes! new
      #267854 - 06/06/06 08:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Make huge batches of potato "oven fries" - they're so good that they're really addictive, and before you know it, you've eaten 3 potatoes' worth, heh.

Any quick bread recipes from the recipe index or EFI - banana bread, zucchini bread, etc - are good too, for the same reason; it's so easy to really chow down on the stuff, and they're not light in calories.

Re: Potatoes! new
      #267856 - 06/06/06 08:53 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh Casey... your makin me hungry!! I forgot about potatoes and the quick breads are a GREAT idea!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: my situation new
      #267872 - 06/06/06 10:00 AM
Alli

These things aren't enough for me. The fact that I can't eat barely anything -I will get bloated, it's hard for me to eat enough during the day to maintain my weight.

harumph... new
      #267941 - 06/06/06 03:26 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

your suggestions explain evey weight gain I ever have!...mmm potatoes and pasta and rice .....mmmm

--------------------
S.

Re: bump new
      #267961 - 06/06/06 04:46 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I'm fairly good at gaining weight and my most recent attempt at helping the IBS resulting in a slight weight gain. I had started to eat allll the time. For example, before my breakfast smoothie, I would have a piece of the quick bread or small bowl of cereal with rice milk. Between breakfast and lunch, i'd eat a banana (fairly high in calories, actually). Then lunch of crackers and chicken salad, a snack afterwards of somethings carby, then dinner of pasta mixed with something IF. Of course, there was the quick bread for desert also. This helped the IBS because everything was SF surrounded, but I was eating alll the time so that was no good.

Good luck.
-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Liquid calories new
      #268001 - 06/06/06 07:19 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

To gain weight, consume more liquid calories--i.e. drink beverages that are still IBS-safe, but not calorie-free/clear fluids. These are basically non-nutritive empty calories.

Examples include:

soy or rice milk
Gatorade
Kool-Aid
Sugar-Sweetened Iced Herbal teas

***I disagree with the theory that potatoes and other IBS-safe high carbohydrate foods (rice, pasta)might cause weight gain. When portions (of anything) become distorted and people eat with abandon, weight gain occurs. These foods are so filling and low calorie***

Kate, IBS-D.

Weight new
      #268061 - 06/07/06 05:46 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I need to put a couple of lbs back on myself. Since my last wedding dress fitting May 7, until the wedding day June 3rd I lost 11 more lbs. Lets just say, all in all, I am 55 lbs lighter than the day Thomas and I met 8 years ago! The dr has told me to stay above 130 lbs in case of a bad stint of attacks. Uhhh, let's just say he will be disappointed with me, under 125 lbs. Bring on the Blue Diamond Almond milk, baked fries with vegginaise, and any other calories I can find!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

See, I don't find them filling at all new
      #268065 - 06/07/06 06:13 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Potatoes and other starchy foods, I mean. If I make them into oven fries, I can easily eat 3 potatoes' worth and seriously not be full.

And not to pick a fight - LOL - but compared to non-starchy vegetables, pasta, rice, and potatoes are NOT low-calorie, especially when you consider serving sizes vs. REAL PEOPLE serving sizes. A serving of pasta is 1 cup cooked, and contains about 210 calories... how many people do you know who seriously measure out a cup of pasta? I know that I can easily eat about 3 cups of cooked spiral pasta, and that's a lot of calories - which is why I don't eat pasta anymore.

But you're right - the basic equation for weight gain is to consume more calories than you burn, regardless of what foods you're eating to do so. Calorie-laden drinks as a substitute for water are a good way to supplement that. Smoothies are EXCELLENT here.

Re: See, I don't find them filling at all new
      #268105 - 06/07/06 10:27 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I see your point, Atomic Rose & agree--most people aren't like me and measure every morsel. Also, alot of people in this culture are accustomed to LARGE (okay, restaurant or "super-sized") portions. Alot of the larger people I know tend to eat large portions, not just of starchy carbs but other foods, too. Maybe I'm funny, but when I just ate rice or pasta or potatoes, I'd seriously be rather full after a cup, at the most--even if veggie/fruit sides were not included.

I suppose also, that most people regard starches as "the filler" and literally fill up on them and are habituated, culturally, to rather large portions.

So, I guess it ultimately depends on habit/custom, perhaps mood (complex carbs/starches are good for elevating serotonin levels).

(Sorry, I'm suffering today and might have to do a modified BTC diet for a little while.)

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: well, if only new
      #268166 - 06/07/06 03:08 PM
Alli

...I could eat and not get bloated at all!! I get bloated no matter what I eat, and this naturally allows me to diminish my desire to eat anything throughout the day. I am 5'6'' and I think I'm around 15 pounds underweight and still losing. I don't want to start losing weight out of control. But I just need to somehow learn to eat safely for ibs and maintain my weight without becoming bloated.

Portion Size new
      #268193 - 06/07/06 06:03 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I'm a portion person, if the box says 8 rice crackers are a 110 cal serving with 1g of fat, I'm eating 8 crackers. Maybe I should indulge a little!! Eat 10 crackers!! As for pasta and rice, I can manage, barely, a cup of pasta at one sitting, and maybe 3/4 cup of rice. I usually use a sandwich plate for my dinner. If I put it on a dinner plate it looks ridiculous - there is all this plate around my little piles of food! Tonight I did awesome!! I had a cup of mash potatoes, 2 turkey weiners, no buns, and a cup of salad. Yes, salad!! I was so happy not to have an attack after a "healthy" meal like that! I really really have to go grocery shopping!! There's little IBS friendly stuff in the house!! Back to portions, if you're trying to lose weight, and you can follow the portion size, I'm sure that you could lose. I'm just looking to gain a lb or two!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Portion Size new
      #268199 - 06/07/06 06:20 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I'm finding portion is a huge factor in my gut working better. Eating a little at a time seems to be a big key. But jeez! I feel like I am eating All.The.Time. And to get more fiber in, is even double hard (I have trouble with C). Day before yesterday I got 30 g in , but yesterday only around 20 and I think it will be around that today. Yikes. I don't know what the heck to do!!

Re: Gaining Weight - High Calorie/Carb IBS-Friendly Foods? new
      #268211 - 06/07/06 07:21 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

It helps to know the calories of food that you're eating. I'm not sure of your weight but most males need about 2,700 - 2,900 calories of food a day to maintain their weight. I struggle with gaining weight too because my stomach goes into revolt mode when I eat more than 3,000 calories a day.

Some high calorie foods that are usually safe for IBS are:

Brown Rice(1 Cup uncooked) = 720 calories(I've got a food intolerance from Brown Rice from eating it too often)
1 Banana = 100 calories
5 Chicken Legs = 750 calories(64 grams of protein)
12 oz. Soymilk = 125 calories
White Bread(1 piece) = 100 calories

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review