All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Re: Yes, it really does help - and you don't even have to believe it will. (m) new
      #265850 - 05/26/06 08:13 PM
ccckkk

Reged: 11/06/03

It's amazing though, how all of you who the diet has worked for seem to all have IBS-D. I wonder if that has anything to do with it working.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I couldn't have said it any better myself. new
      #265851 - 05/26/06 08:15 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Heather's diet has been a lifesaver for me - the only thing that's helped me long-term after suffering with severe IBS for 19 years. Trust me, honey, that ain't no wishful thinking. For me, the diet worked miracles.

It was definitely not an instant cure-all, though. It took me well over a year and a lot of tweaking - especially the delicate balance of getting enough insoluble fiber to keep me from getting C, while still eating enough soluble fiber to keep from going D.

If you haven't tried it STRICTLY for at least a year or more - along with other lifestyle changes, such as SUCCESSFULLY managing any stress/depression/anxiety problems - then you honestly haven't given it a fair shot. But of course there are no guarantees that anything works for everyone.

Re: I couldn't have said it any better myself. new
      #265853 - 05/26/06 08:20 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Quote:

there are no guarantees that anything works for everyone.

But what if I say please? Could I have a guarentee then, Casey? A guarantees would be nice.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Maybe... new
      #265854 - 05/26/06 08:20 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I should probably call myself IBS-A since I do have bouts of C; however, I've noticed this clears just by eating more vegetables/IF (but then if I eat too much IF, I get D - it's such a delicate, difficult balance!). Heather does mention that it takes longer for C to resolve. You also want to make sure you are correctly diagnosed with IBS-C, which is different from chronic constipation and other functional bowel disorders that result in constipation.

Here's a link to a really good site about constipation (the main site is www.iffgd.org, which is nonprofit research organization about functional bowel disorders): About Constipation.

Re: Thanks! new
      #265855 - 05/26/06 08:21 PM
lalala

Hohoyumyum, I think what you said was just as fair and honest and, more importantly, to the point.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (05/26/06 08:21 PM)

Re: Maybe... new
      #265856 - 05/26/06 08:22 PM
ccckkk

Reged: 11/06/03

I was really diagnosed with Colonic Inertia. My doctor did the transit time test on my and out of 24 markers, I still had 17 markers in my body after seven days, so I have a very slow moving digestive system.

Re: Well, then... new
      #265860 - 05/26/06 08:41 PM
lalala

This is very different from IBS, so this diet may not work for you at all. From what I've read, they're both similar in that they're functional bowel problems. However, colonic inertia (where nothing's happening) seems to be the opposite of IBS (where too much is happening - spasms). Also, surgery is considered a treatment option for colonic inertia, which suggests an underlying cause may be muscle or nerve damage, while it's not an option for IBSers because no such damage or inflammation seems to correlate with its symptoms.

FYI -
Here's the general description of what IBS is:

"In people with IBS, symptoms result from what appears to be a disturbance in the interaction between the gut or intestines, the brain, and the autonomic nervous system that alters regulation of bowel motility (motor function) or sensory function [problem with the contractions in the colon - they become irregular which can cause C or D ].

Irritable bowel syndrome is characterized by a group of symptoms in which abdominal pain or discomfort is associated with a change in bowel pattern, such as loose or more frequent bowel movements, diarrhea, and/or constipation." (www.iffgd.org)

Here, I found something about colonic inertia in case someone else wanted to learn more about it - Colonic Inertia/Constipation.

I don't know what else would help you. What did your doctor recommend?

Bowel Warranty new
      #265861 - 05/26/06 09:20 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Yes, a bowel warranty would be nice. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could give our bowels back to our mother's and ask for a new one with a lemon clause attached?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Bowel Warranty - lol! new
      #265862 - 05/26/06 09:22 PM
lalala

That would be awesome. A life-time bowel warranty, of course.

I don't think those two things are necessarily mutually exclusive... new
      #265866 - 05/27/06 01:39 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I think there have been a lot of good replies already, and it may have come out that maybe what you are dealing with in particular may not apply for the same IBS guidelines, but I thought I would pop my head in because I can imagine a lot of new people might read this post based on the title, and I think it is a valid question. I say this because I think that a lot of us have been suffering with this for so long and been told so many different things will make us feel better -and they haven't- that we can get really weary of trying anything new.
I don't feel offended by the question at all. I completely understand where any sort of frustration and hesitation may come from, which is why I can see it from both sides.

First of all, I am too an IBS-D. From what I understand from the boards (having never really been C my whole life), I do think it seems that the diet is more helpful for people with IBS-D as I think that treatment for C can take a lot longer as the digestive system moves so much slower. I also think that leaves a lot of people more opportunity to give up on the diet as well, so it's hard to say.
For me personally, though, this.. lifestyle (not diet exclusively) have really helped. I was at a point where I could not function for regular day-to-day activities and while I am certainly not 100% (which is in part my fault, I admit), I am so much better than I was and I owe a lot of that to finding this information.
Even if one isn't to follow the diet to the letter, I think that it promotes a more healthy and natural way to eat which anyone will tell you is better for your system. There are several known GI triggers (caffeine, alcohol, high fat, etc) that any Gastroenterologist will acknowledge and they are usually the first thing we say to avoid here. Processed foods, artificial sweeteners, fattening foods.. if you eliminate these from your diet, your certainly not about to feel worse, stomach problems or not! These are basic, healthy guidelines for your body.
There is a stress on fiber here, but I think it is to be said that some people take the soluble fiber diet to an extreme (I know I did) and end up eating in quite an unhealthy fashion. To get stable, it might be necessary to cut out other things for *a little while* but you still need to eat vegetables, protein.. other foods to balance out your diet.
Aside from diet, like I said, this is also a lifestyle. Eating properly is only one part. Exercise, stress management, and medications are also talked about a lot and are hugely important for many people. If I only followed the diet, would I still get sick when I have a bad menstrual cycle? Definitely. That is why it is important to not get completely tunnel visioned about diet. Diet is a big part of the battle, but it's still uphill from there for a lot of people.

To what you said about it being wishful thinking, like I said in the title of this post.. I don't think it is completely seperate. I think that a lot of people suffering from IBS can recognise a strong mind-gut connection. There is a huge psychological impact that we have on our stomachs, and I think that following this diet to some degree is affected by that. For example, when I first read the books and found that so many other people were suffering in a similar way to me, I felt better as if I could finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I went out, got a bunch of different food and told myself I was going to feel better, and I did to a degree. But that was only one part of it.
As another example, I went to see a really crappy GI doctor once and she was so unhelpful that I had a major attack right after I left. When I went back, months later, to see a senior consultant he was amazing. He gave me some new medication and stuff, but when I left the office I felt good. I hadn't taken the pills yet, but I felt better. Did it carry on for a long time? No. I had to start taking the pills, but just the *thought* of feeling better.. made me feel better. I think it is the same with anything that has such strong ties to our psychological and emotional condition.
This is not to say, however, that we should buy into the idea that it is all in our heads and there is not a physical side of it.

I believe that this diet has helped a lot of people in many different ways, because some people have to follow it very strictly to be stable and some have just taken some of the basic ideas and been able to make their own exceptions. In my opinion, it is all about finding the balance that you need to be stable enough to live your life without your bowels in control.

Hope this helps, and for you ccckkk I hope that you find something that does help you find some relief very, very soon!

Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 817 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review