All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
2 years for you? new
      #265839 - 05/26/06 07:48 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I would have never guessed this Melissa.

You must have much faith in the principles. I hope to be like you one day!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does Heather's diet really help people or are we just trying to believe it does? new
      #265840 - 05/26/06 07:52 PM
ccckkk

Reged: 11/06/03

Thank you, you said everything that I have been thinking of. I know I have not been on the diet long, but in my case I cannot cope being on it due to the symptoms. There is no way I can actually get through another day being on the diet. I took 3 Milk Of Magnesias this morning to see if I can get all the fruits and vegetables out of my system. So far, I can't even move my bowels. Plus, last night I took MiraLax and a colase and nothing yet.
Thank you for understanding.

Re: I'm gonna have to agree with Sand on this one. new
      #265841 - 05/26/06 07:54 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

The excess gas (it's normal to have some, and you should) is gone. It really went away. On rare occasions ( a few per year), I have a flare-up that keeps me home. But the rest of the time I run around with a crazy schedule and don't have problems. I apologize if I came off as attacking in my other response to this post. It's just that I have found so much relief that I hate to hear anything other than good things about Heather's diet and guidelines and research. If you are having troubles, please give it time. Even if you can't find a complete reduction in symptoms you can find some amount of relief with this. But you have to be patient. And you may as well try, otherwise nothing will ever change.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Oh, for Heaven's sake! new
      #265842 - 05/26/06 07:59 PM
ccckkk

I'm sorry you found my remarks disrespectful, like I said I mean no harm. Like I said, just my thought at the moment. I am glad you posted that quote and that website, thanks. I guess it is more difficult for the diet to work for constipation. I have had this for almost 32 years and it rules my life. I tried everything imaginable. I am very strict with everything I try, not fooling around when I do something. Spent so much money. Well, thanks for posting.

Yup, 2 years. new
      #265843 - 05/26/06 08:01 PM
hohoyumyum

I'm so dang stubborn and was so determined to figure out how this diet would work for me that I just kept trying until I found what I needed. No med has ever worked. And no doctor has ever been able to help. So, after 10 years of horrible D, I happened upon this site and discovered Heather and this wonderful diet. At first, I didn't see much improvement, but I kept at it and by maintaining this diet combined with other supplements and activities, it started to get better. What finally got me completely stable was the hypno. I just can't say enough about it. The only catch is, you have to want it to work and accept that it will. I remember the first time I walked in to a bathroom and back out (I just needed some tissue) and realized I didn't even think once of D while I was in there. I think I started crying. It was such a release to know that something was finally helping. So, my long-winded point: Don't give up and you'll find how to make this diet work for your body.

--------------------

#265844 - 05/26/06 08:02 PM
ccckkk

I wonder if it helps better in people who have IBS-D. Just a thought.
If I stay on this diet another day, I will need to stay in completely all weekend. That is how bad I am. Sorry for complaining.

#265845 - 05/26/06 08:04 PM
hohoyumyum

It's possible that it works better, in general, for IBS-D. There are a lot of things you can do other than just the diet. Have you tried other things?

--------------------

Miralax new
      #265846 - 05/26/06 08:06 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...seems to be the only thing that keeps me going and, thus, semi-sane. But I hate taking it. It doesn't exactly give the best outcome...literally.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Yes, it really does help - and you don't even have to believe it will. (m) new
      #265847 - 05/26/06 08:07 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

My symptoms have been greatly reduced because of Heather's guidelines on how to eat when you have IBS. And I know for a fact that they're working because whenever I do cheat or unknowningly eat something that's considered a trigger (like when someone in my family tries to test me and hides red meat or dairy in my food), I'll have an attack. I am IBS-D w/ pain, bloating, and gas. I currently have a normal amount of gas (hardly noticeable, not much odor either), minimal bloating (I will have it if I wait too long to eat), and normal BMs. I have attacks infrequently, but they only last one day and it's usually due to somehing I ate, stress, lack of sleep or possibly due to a lupus flare-up.

Since I've been following the diet and prior to that something similar my doctors recommended (low-fat meals, no dairy, no red meat for the last ten years), I bounce back pretty quickly. Heather's guidelines make sense to me. It's a way of eating that's gentle on your GI tract by incorporating easily digestible foods and preparing other foods in a way that makes them easier to digest. However, this isn't a miracle cure - you have to keep up the diet even when you're feeling really good/normal. It's also important to remember that this diet is also part of an "IBS lifestyle" which includes stress reduction, exercise, not smoking, and medications meant to help reduce symptoms. It may take a while to figure how much exercise, which medications, and what type of stress reduction method works best for you.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (05/26/06 08:08 PM)

Well put.
      #265849 - 05/26/06 08:11 PM
hohoyumyum

Sometimes I'm so blunt about things I know I come off as offensive. This is a much more diplomatic way of explaining things than I often use.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 752 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83740

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review