All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
WARNING: Re Heating foods in Microwave w/plastic wrap over them
      #26492 - 11/11/03 08:52 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Just a warning, I have seen it on tv at least twice that using plastic wrap in this way releases a chemical onto the food that causes cancer. If I remember right, it was discovered by either a hi-sch. or college student as a science project. Anyway......it has been verified......per the scientific community in the news. Apparently she won a big prize for this as well she should......... Use a PAPER PLATE instead. You can also dip the paper plates in water lst, and this works well particularly with potatoes.

Just wanted to let everybody know.

Marnie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WARNING: Re Heating foods in Microwave w/plastic wrap over them new
      #26497 - 11/11/03 09:23 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow, I've never heard of that! Thanks so much for sharing that important info!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Kree: You're Very Welcome: -nt-Re: WARNING: Re Heating foods in Microwave w/plastic wrap over them new
      #26500 - 11/11/03 09:33 AM
marnie

Re: Plastic new
      #26547 - 11/11/03 10:57 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Actually, in my Environmental Science class we learned that plastic wrap and plastic containers have been linked to cancer due to the chemicals that are processed in order to make the plastic itself. Thus the reason why many recommend using glass or ceramic dishes when heating things in the mircowave.

--------------------
- Jennifer

anglyroses: Good to Know!!! Don't use Plastic Containers in Micro -nt-Re: Plastic new
      #26604 - 11/11/03 04:49 PM
marnie

Re: WARNING: Re Heating foods in Microwave w/plastic wrap over them new
      #26637 - 11/11/03 09:47 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

I just bought a whole bunch of 'microwave' cookware for reheating foods! They're plastic... is that safe if it's made specifically for the microwave?

For LillibetM & al:Re: WARNING: Re Heating foods in Microwave w/plastic wrap over them new
      #26639 - 11/11/03 10:00 PM
marnie

OOOOH! I would be really skeptical abt. them. You know manufacturers want to sell stuff. From what I've learned and also and maybe esp. fr. what anglyroses learned, I wouldn't take the chance!!!!! Know I'm not gonna heat in plastic anymore in the micro not that I do much anyway, but did use plastic wrap quite a bit!
Sorry........but that's my feeling. I know you'd feel terrible not to use them, but CAN U TAKE THEM BACK!!!!??? Just a thought! I know Walmart and alot of places w/take back just abt. anything, even if used. Just complain if you have trouble that you didn't like something abt. them. Lids came loose when heated, or in fridge! etc. They sound good and they can't disprove either. LOL.......!

As someone told me on here, "Sometimes, a gal's gotta do as a gal's gotta do."

Marnie

Edited by marnie (11/11/03 10:04 PM)

Re: Plastic Containers new
      #26670 - 11/12/03 09:39 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

To be honest, I still microwave in plastics even after learning about the link to cancer in class. Just a habit, I guess. Keep in mind that along with plastic, cancer has also been linked to several other elements (such as radiation, power lines, pesticides, contaminated water). It is an ongoing study so I would do some research on the internet if you're still concerned.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1316 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1508

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review