All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cranberry Juice???
      #264478 - 05/20/06 07:05 AM
FlourGirl

Reged: 03/23/06

How about unsweetened cranberry juice from concentrate? I know the cranberry juice cocktail has a lot of fructose corn syrup in it, which makes it ten times tastier, but I'm not sure if cranberry juice is okay for IBS or not. I often take a little falcium fortified orange juice later in the day for the calcium content. Thanks for any answers.

Edited by FlourGirl (05/20/06 07:05 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I find its ok.... new
      #264482 - 05/20/06 07:31 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I think cranberry for some reason or other seems to be one of the best tolerated juices for ibs although some people may not be able to handle it...I drink loads of the stuff just fine and Im IBS-D...I think heather mentions it in one of her books actually so I'd see how you go with it and try it out.

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Cranberry Juice??? new
      #264483 - 05/20/06 07:34 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

You should be okay if you drink it after you have something in your stomach. I can't have juice because I also have GERD so cranberry juice would not work for me. I think it would be best if you limit the amount you have at first and see how you do. Too much juice could be bad because of the acid and also the vitamin C which has the possiblity of giving you D. That would only happen of course if you went crazy with it, so in my opinion it would be okay in moderation and after you have eaten something as a buffer.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

I'm fine with it! new
      #264668 - 05/21/06 08:57 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'm definitely not ok with any other juices but cranberry I'm just fine with (The reason for this is, I think, if I remember what Heather says correctly, that cranberry has a very low fructose content compared with other juices.)

Just make sure you get the stuff with no other juices in it (i.e. they often mix it with grape juice - sky high fructose content!! - or sometimes raspberry or whatever) - but usually sweetened is ok, as long as it's sweetened with sugar (or glucose or whatever) NOT artificial sweeteners and NOT HFCS.

I wouldn't drink it on a totally empty stomach but other than that I can pretty much drink as much as I want! HTH.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review