All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Iron and Vitamin C?
      #26299 - 11/10/03 10:41 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

So it turns out I'm anemic - I've been anemic during pregnancies, guess now it's because I've cut out so many iron containing foods, also had a good bit of bleeding after my surgery, who knows why else, but the POINT is that adding iron in my diet is my first step, but I want to stay safe if possible too. I know red meat has a lot of iron but it is a no-no. Cooked spinach maybe? Also, raisins have iron right? I eat those every day in my oatmeal, but yet still my iron is low, so go figure. I'm also trying to eat cashews when I can, they are supposed to have high iron. Still, it's not enough it seems. My Dr says I should take an iron supplement along with Vitamin C because it helps with the absorption of iron. I've read here that both can cause upset! I don't want that! Any suggestions? I'm prone to C and when I had to take iron while pregnant it C'd me up BADLY, so that's one of my concerns. Thanks!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Iron and Vitamin C? new
      #26308 - 11/10/03 10:49 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have heard that asparagus has tons of iron in it. I would assume it would be safe if prepared correctly. Puree or mashed or steamed etc.

I currently take a multi vitamin(pre natal) which is extremely high in iron. I am prone to "D" though so I have found the iron very helpful.

However, I would be nervous that the iron would cause you greater "C" problems. I really hope someone can help you out with this. I know I have gotten a little with the pills, but no pain really.

Good luck, Sorry I can't help you will the "c" question. Hope someone can

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#26335 - 11/10/03 11:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Not sure what foods to suggest but try taking magnesium with your calcium to try and prevent the C. Not sure how/why it works but magnesium is suppoed to help C. Maybe Heather knows??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#26346 - 11/10/03 11:52 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

You could try potatoes. Oranges too. Soy milk has iron, some is fortified with more than others, so you can check around for that. Actually anything with soy/tofu usually has iron in it. You could try Total cereal.

--------------------
IBS-C

#26377 - 11/10/03 01:49 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've done some posts previously on vitamin C - I can't work out why a supplement of this could hurt you, as long as you DON'T get a citrus type.

Not sure about the iron and C as I'm D.

All dark green veg are high in iron, so broccoli, spinach, etc. As you're C, can you cope with more of these? Maybe making some soup would be an idea - that way you could puree the veg to minimise the insoluble fibre.

Good luck!

#26398 - 11/10/03 02:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Oatmeal itself is actually a good source of iron. You can take an iron supplement (not at the same time as a calcium supplement, as the calcium will block the absorption of the iron) with something acidic or vitamin C. Not a megadose of C, just what's in a multivitamin. Take both with a meal and you should tolerate things just fine.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#26422 - 11/10/03 04:10 PM
ecmmbm

Well, maybe the real problem is that I'm vitamin C deficient so not absorbing the iron well? I'm confused - I've been eating plenty of iron lately, the more I learn. Or is my IBS keeping me from absorbing the iron well? This is confusing, but I'd really like to avoid taking an iron supplement if I can, just increase it in my diet. Thanks for the feedback.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#26424 - 11/10/03 04:20 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Michelle! I've been dealing with the iron issue myself recently. I recently put together a blood drive and wanted to give SO BAD. And, I knew how limited we are, I was really nervous about coming up short for my iron and being denied. Unfortunately, I did. Not to the point of being anemic, but not high enough to give blood.

Anyway, along the way I found this pamplet that I and the other girls at work (where I had the blood drive) found helpful: http://www.beefinfo.org/pdf/IAW.pdf

Also, I just started a multi-vitamin for women (OneSource multi for women) yesterday that has 150% or 27 mg of iron. It also has 50% or 200 mg of magnesium. I'm not sure if that's enough to help you for the C if you took a multi like this.

Hope this helps! And also, if you can tolerate a little OJ and you take your multi with that, you can absorb more.

Re: Mags - great info, thanks new
      #26469 - 11/11/03 03:28 AM
ecmmbm

I did not know that drinking coffee with your meal inhibits iron absorption. I have coffee (guilty!) every morning with my oatmeal & raisins(which both have iron), I'll stop that and have it a little later in the morning. Instead I'll have OJ (found low acid kind that at least makes it easier on tummy) so the vit c can help absorb the iron. I did know that calcium/dairy inhibit iron absorption and have not had the 2 together. I could try that vitamin you suggested but I'm so leery of pills/supplements right now! Thanks for the info!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: Mags - great info, thanks new
      #26470 - 11/11/03 03:47 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I hope it helps! Let me know how you make out. I need to get mine up by March 17. Yep, St. Patty's Day is our next drive! I hope to be giving a pint rather than having one! Wish me luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 456 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30109

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review