All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Please help!
      #260049 - 04/25/06 01:31 PM
trapped gas

Reged: 04/19/06

I am IBS-c with severe trapped gas and bloating that lasts for hours and I can not sleep at night without ambien. I have tried the ibs diet,gluten-free diet, low carb diet, specific carb diet, zelnorm, yoga, gas-x, laxatives,fennel tea, peppermint, probiotics, bentyl,levsin, etc. I have been worked-up for celiac disease and had a negative colonoscopy. I am desperate! I can not live like this. Any other suggestions? TIA

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help! new
      #260059 - 04/25/06 03:02 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

A soluble fibre supplement. Perhaps the most important thing when it comes to IBS. Since you have gas issues, you need to be really careful. Try acacia, benefiber, equalactin, citrucel. Start in VERY small doses and increase VERY slowly or you will only get even more bloating and gas. Don't buy a big bottle at first. Try a small one and see how you do. Give it a good 2 weeks. Sometimes, it takes a while to get on the right one. I prefer acacia.

Also, being lightly active after eating is helpful.\
Have you tried the gas relieving pose in yoga? Lie on your back and bring one knee to your abdomen. Wrap your hands gently around the outside of your knee. Hold for 20 seconds. Try the other side. I find this will often dislodge trapped gas and move it somewhere else. Often, I get a fart within a minute or two. Ahhhh.

Oh, and TONS and TONS of water. I hope this helps. I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble. If you would like, you could give me an example of the types of foods you're eating, and I could see if there's something in there that could be a culprit.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Hm, quick question ........ new
      #260079 - 04/25/06 05:34 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Would exercising after not eating for a long period of time cause bloating???

#260083 - 04/25/06 06:03 PM
trapped gas

Reged: 04/19/06

Thank you for responding. I have tried that yoga position and sometimes it works but lately it hasn't. I will try the soluble fiber. Right now I am eating eggs, organic turkey hotdogs, wellshire farm chicken apple sausages, oranges, strawberries, squash, and green tea. I just took a few doses of zelnorm to give it another shot but I think it made me worse. Thanks again.

#260166 - 04/26/06 10:41 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

First off, note that egg yolks are an IBS trigger, so you might want to stick with whites only for a while.

The three keys to IBS-C that have helped me are: SF and IF at every meal, drinking peppermint & fennel tea all day long, and exercising every day. Yeah, a lot of it appears to be a consistency thing - if I stop drinking tea in the evening, I'll get bloated and gassy.

Of course, everyone is different. And I should mention that the hypno program helped me hugely with cramping and bloating!

--AC

Hypno helps with bloat and cramps too?-nt new
      #260186 - 04/26/06 11:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Hypno helps with bloat and cramps too?-nt new
      #260370 - 04/27/06 08:43 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Totally! Session 3 really helped me learn how to relax away my particular style of cramps, and when I'm not cramped up, I'm not so bloaty. And I cramp under stress, and learning how to relax in the face of cramps/stress instead of panicking and cramping even more as a result was a huge help.

--AC

Yes! new
      #260973 - 05/02/06 07:51 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Beth, I just saw this. I can't believe you haven't tried hypno yet, with all your suffering. I'm telling you, I'm the most cynical person, not a huge fan of alternative therapy, but hypno really worked for me. I think it made the biggest difference out of anything. It made me feel so much more in control of my body and the stress that contributes to my symptoms. I really urge you to try it. I know that you get very anxious about whether or not you are doing the right things for ibs, and we all know the anxiety doesn't help much! I've had a huge reduction in my anxiety since using the program, and I didn't even finish the 100 days. I got interrupted when I moved and went on vacation a year ago, and haven't resumed since -- but the effects are lasting. I'd be willing to lend you mine, if it's the money you're worried about. Please give it some thought.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Nope, have never done the CDs! new
      #261002 - 05/02/06 09:06 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I don't have a CD player that is programmable...and money is so tight. I have read some wonderful things about the program, though.
Quote:

I think it made the biggest difference out of anything. It made me feel so much more in control of my body and the stress that contributes to my symptoms

Wow!!! I cannot figure out any food intolerances...just constant pain and symptoms. Me thinks my mind needs some attention because the food identification has been fruitless....and very anxiety producing! Yep, I do get very anxious about whether I'm really doing the diet correctly....or what I'm consuming that is not good for me, but I can't figure it out.

I guess, by now, the secret is out! Yes, I have food and IBS anxiety big time!!!!!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

how about your computer? new
      #261008 - 05/02/06 09:11 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

You can play them on your computer if you have any sort of music application (real audio, windows media player, etc) and speakers. You can put the CD in, then edit your playlist so that only one track will be played, and make sure it's not on repeat. That's what I usually do.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review