All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: ibs. menstration and diahrea (YOGA) new
      #9666 - 05/22/03 08:46 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

As many have already stated, yoga is a great way to deal with not only menstruation issues but also the IBS flare ups that can often go with them. Menstruation is a time of purification on psychological as well as physical levels. This is a time when women tend to feel more sensitive and vulnerable, so it is a good time to attune to the body's needs and and adjust any yoga postures that you do accordingly.

When we get our periods there is a lot of heat in the body. Cooling postures such as forward bends and pranayama (breathing) can be done to counteract this. However you may wish to avoid overexertion and allow yourself to be slow and gentle. ( I personally like a vigorous practice during this time but that's what works for me) In yoga, it is important to honor your own individual body and experience.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Peace,

K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga site looks great - here's another link for pictures new
      #9687 - 05/22/03 12:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Thanks for the link - great pictures! It's bothering me that I don't have pictures for the poses on the yogabellys.com site. When we have the IBS Yoga DVD done I'm going to use stills from the video to show the postures. And the sequences in the video do flow. The sequences listed on the site right now are from a Patricia Walden yoga book, and they're meant to be done all in a row but they don't really flow like a sun salutation does. It's certainly something you could do every day, either alone or in addition to your regular yoga classes/practice.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: ibs. menstration and diahrea new
      #9719 - 05/22/03 05:33 PM
happygirl

Reged: 05/22/03

I too have the same problem. what I found that works is using a heating pad every night the week before I start my period. I bought one that you heat in the microwave, so I don't have to worry about electricity, it also smells like lavender which relaxes me. I just heat it up before I crawl into bed to watch the news and when it is cold I am done. I also take midol during my period. I am almost symptom free since I started this routine. good luck.

Re: Heather? new
      #9733 - 05/22/03 08:47 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I can't seem to find a photo of the cross bolsters pose listed for D. Is the name correct or does it go under another name?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Yoga Teacher? Help here... new
      #9741 - 05/22/03 10:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't know what the cross bolsters position is. I don't have the Sanskrit name for it. Can you help here?

Thanks,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yoga Teacher? Help here... new
      #9832 - 05/23/03 06:15 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

H,

Hope this helps......

Cross Bolsters. (Salamba Adho Mukha Svanasana)

Place a bolster or rolled blanket on the floor. Lay another bolster across the center of the first. Sit in the middle of the top bolster and then lie back along its length, with your spine supported and the top of your head touching the floor. (If there is strain in your neck, support it with a folded blanket.) Lay your arms out to your sides, fingers pointing away from your torso. If you feel discomfort in your back, raise your feet on a block. Your chest should be supported at the apex of the pose so it can expand and open.

To come out of the pose, bend your legs and turn to the side.

BENEFITS.
This pose helps you breathe deeply. Circulation is increased through the adrenals, the thyroid, and the kidneys.

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Yoga Teacher? Help here... new
      #9848 - 05/23/03 09:06 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review