All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
So.... Soluable Fibre... UK person here.
      #23330 - 10/14/03 09:03 AM
POADB

Reged: 06/01/03

Ok - running through the list of soluable fibres on this website - I have a few that I don't know about.. Could somebody, preferably british who has the book, tell me what these are:

Flour Tortillas?
Quinoa?
Corn Meal?
Yams?
Rutabagas?
Beets? and
Papayas?

Also - can somebody, preferably Heather, explain to me how you can determine which food is soluable and insoluable? Surely there are more foods that can be added to the list?
What about baked beans? Tuna? and all the other foods IBS ppl can have - what type of category do they fit into??

thanx - and sorry to be an idiot - but i really need to get a diet sorted... and FAST!

at the momment - I'm eating Corn Flakes in Soya Milk for breakfast.. (is this good?) Tuna Mayonaise Sandwhichs on whole meal and white bread (is this good?) and jacket potatoes and beans for tea.... or sometimes a chicken dinner.. (is this good?)

I really need to gain weight - can anybody point me in the right direction?

thanx

Product Of A Dying Breed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So.... Soluable Fibre... UK person here. new
      #23441 - 10/15/03 06:46 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Flour Tortillas? good soluble fibre

Quinoa? ancient wheat grain, easier to digest than modern wheat - can buy and use like rice or there's cereal made from it at Tesco - try organic section

Corn Meal? aka polenta - soluble fibre. Use to make pancakes, cook in water and have with accompaniments (like mash) or cool when cooked, slice up and toast

Yams? bit like sweet potatoes, in fresh veg. department

Rutabagas? never very sure on this, don't think we get them here in the UK

Beets? beetroot, buy them uncooked in the veg. dept., roast in their skins then eat or puree. Like the ones in jars without the vinegar!

Papayas - fruit, ok if you can tolerate fruit. Peel it!

Other things you mentioned - baked beans are more insoluble fibre because of the skins, you could puree them if wanted.
Tuna is ok, with a bit of lowfat mayo if tolerated. We don't seem to have fatfree mayo here.
Jacket potato - great, avoid the skin if necessary - again, insoluble

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#23454 - 10/15/03 08:46 AM
AnnC

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: NY, USA

Hey I am British but I live in NY.

Flour tortillas are the things you use to make fajitas/burritos and they are called that in UK - I think they should be available in a regular supermarket.

The others I can't think if they have different names in UK so I'll have to think about it.

Beets should be same as beetroot but would be how you buy them fresh rather than pickled (yum)

ann - not sure if I have been any help at all!!

#23513 - 10/15/03 03:29 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey Rich

Just a quick addition to Sarah's list - be careful with wholewheat bread. I had one of my worse attacks in recent memory by spending a w/e eating delicious wholewheat bread at my parent's house b4 I got Heather's book.

Linz

Me again! new
      #23516 - 10/15/03 03:33 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh, forgot to say...I love Tuna mayo too and have it all my sandwiches atm. I make it with a little low-call Helmann's and then put it in fresh white rolls with sliced avocado. Different, but v.nice if you like avocado and it ups the soluble fibre too, as well as providing moisture you don't get from using less mayo.

I also eat Corn Flakes with soya milk for brekkie!

I've found that baked beans are a bit of a no-no for me. If you're okay with the tomato sauce, then what about tinned spaghetti, or just more ketchup!

Rutabagas are Swedes! Thanks to my Brits for these great posts! -nt- new
      #23517 - 10/15/03 03:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Rutabagas are Swedes! Thanks to my Brits for these great posts! -nt- new
      #23668 - 10/17/03 03:29 AM
POADB

Reged: 06/01/03

Ah... your all great.. I love you all.

(obviously not in that way... I've a girlfreind i'm very fond of with a child on the way )

thanx alot, and I hope i'm not being an annoying useless newb.

Linz - i sent you an email asking for a link to this thread... ignore it please, as I found it. thanx.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review