All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
No IF helped C?...anyone else found this? new
      #295741 - 01/09/07 10:54 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I was a severe C with debilitating bloat and fatigue. Nothing got me going. Sadly (and hopefully this will change) I've found the only thing that really helps me is eating a VERY soft SFS diet. I eat almost NO IF. I know IF is supposed to help you go, but even small amounts stop me up.

Has anyone else experienced that a totally SF diet helps constipation? I've been trying to up the IF...but maybe I'm one who would do better with only SF

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Gracie....are you a C? I always thought you were D!-nt new
      #296666 - 01/15/07 12:35 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Gracie....are you a C? I always thought you were D!-nt new
      #296692 - 01/15/07 02:29 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm an A so I suffer with both D and C. Sometimes I am C for weeks at a time.

Edited by Gracie (01/15/07 02:29 PM)

Re: No IF helped C?...anyone else found this? new
      #296884 - 01/16/07 04:38 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

I was just trying to determine just this very thing. I am IBS-c also but only go one day without a bm ever. Usually every day, just too hard when i do go and straining. I had felt I was stable but when i started to up my IF I also had much more gas and bloating. So I went back to using bentyl after not using for a week, then stuck to pure SF for a day or two. my stools are softer. It may also depend on what IF you add. I had two unpeeled pieces of fruit and that was too much for me. I am trying to stick to cooked veggies and pureed fruit in smoothies for IF. also a little ground nuts in Heathers breads. Anybody know how much IF is enough.I personally would eat none if that would help constipation.

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

Definitely depends on the kind of IF new
      #296890 - 01/16/07 05:19 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

For example, I cannot tollerate corn bran. Don't know why, but small quantities of corn (I love corn ) destabilize me, although I tollerate other IF pretty well. I eat apples with their skins on for example.

I think it is normal to get more gas initially when you increase the IF. Especially if it was too sudden (e.g. a large increase rather than a SLOW gradual increase). You body just needs time to adjust to the new food. In particular, your bacteria need time to adjust to the new stuff you are feeding them. My husband used to have a lot of gas (he does not have IBS although I am beginning to doubt that, I think he just never complains) when he started eating much more IF because we wanted him to lose weight and lower his cholesterol level. Now that his body is used to the IF, he has much less gas.

I can't testify on my own, because I had to REDUCE the amount of IF I was eating rather than increase it when I first got IBS. When I switched to the BTC diet, there was almost no IF (but that in brown rice). Then I added some IF super slowly (only recently did I start to eat apples with the peel on) starting with oat bran. I didn't sense a notable increase of my gas.

I suggest you try to add less IF. And wait until your body adjusts to the new amount, then add a little bit more

While you are waiting and not getting enough IF to get on a regular BM schedule (I mean a normal BM, not one with super hard stools), use a gentle laxative such as Natural Calm/Magnesium Citrate. I wouldn't be able to survive and have such great progress had I not used that.

For the record, I am IBS-C, stable, thanks to Heather's diet

Re: Definitely depends on the kind of IF new
      #298939 - 02/05/07 08:53 AM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

I know you posted along time ago but I just read your post and have still not added alot of IF because i am afraid of all the gas. not even painful, just embarrassing. What do you consider stable? I have no pain or bloating, just gas. I also can even cheat a little with no problems. Should I just keep adding IF slowly and keep popping semithicone all day? I dont even want my husband to come to bed with me!

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

Re: IBS-C and supplements survery new
      #300021 - 02/17/07 07:23 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Been following Heather's guidelines for the past few years, and am now pretty stable(been way more C cause of an antidepressant I've been taking but going off it now, will be back to "normal" soon hopefully!). The things I take are 2 Colace a day, and 2-3 Beano tablets with foods that bother me(usually once a day or more). Aside from this, I eat good balance of SF + IF, and stay away from whole wheat(as well as what Heather says to avoid, though soda is fine with me).

--------------------
IBS-C

Edited by fishnets (02/17/07 07:25 AM)

#300033 - 02/17/07 10:47 AM
jDnn7

Reged: 02/11/07
Loc: IA, USA

The only thing that gets things moving for me is Zelnorm. Fleets, of course, but way too harsh. Herbaltone, but way too slow with too much pain.

Re: Definitely depends on the kind of IF new
      #300128 - 02/19/07 03:33 AM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

KIMBERLY- i CAN REALLY RELATE- I HAVE BIG TIME GAS- W/ SOME C- BUT RARELY EVER EAT IG- THE ONLY TIME I DON'T HAVE GAS IS AT BREAKFAST- THE REST OF THE TIME IT IS DOWNHILL.
FOR BREAKFAST, I HAVE FRUIT(NO PEELS ON ANYTHING0- OATMEAL-SOME FLAX SEED GROUND, EGG WHITE OMLETTE, AND TOAST W/ DAIRY FREE MARGERINE, AND JELLY( THE BREAD IS WHEAT FREE- AND GLUTEN FREE. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT SIMETHEICONE- MY GASTRO DR. IS AGAINST IT- HE SAYS IT MAKES GAS WORSE- REBOUND AFFECT. WHAT DO YOU THINK???

#300157 - 02/19/07 09:27 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

What a great post!
Well, I started on Zelnorm, but got off that in 2 weeks. I was on this super Colon Cleanse, but heard it isn't good for us, so, got off that. Tried Stool softner, wich helpd, but I don't want to be on that indefinatly.
Started Citricell 2x day. I am staying on that, think I need to increase.
I've also tried A glass of prune juice a day, which worked great, but man, gave me serious smelly gas.
Right now I'm in between deciding on Mirilax or going back to a Colon cleanse temporarily. Maybe I need to increase my SFS. What to do.....?

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39201

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review