All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Well that just ruined an otherwise good day...! (Edited for television)
      #22165 - 09/30/03 11:55 PM
Tim G

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

For those that don't know, I have been forced to work from home for the past three months due to severe IBS-D attacks.
Today was my first real respite having used a heat pad all day yesterday.

Anyway, I've just had a call from my boss informing me that although the company has been quite willing to support my working from home to date and are happy with my work, and are pleased that I have been able to keep my team motivated, moving forwards they are no longer able to support my recovery at my current level and would need to look at busting me down a band (and significant pay decrease).

I am seriously miffed (I'd use a stronger word, but ladies are present!!) about this as over the past 2.5 years I have put up with a heck of a lot from this job and truly believe that the primary cause of my IBS has been due to ridiculous workload and stress associated with the position.

To now get kicked in the teeth one more time, I just want to scream. At this time I am seriously contemplating investigating work cover options to ensure continuity, as I do not believe that corporates should be able to run there staff into the ground and then discard them when the going gets tough.

(Deep breaths...one...two...three!!) Does anyone have any information on the specific links between IBS and stress? I know the rule of thumb here is that it is not caused by stress, but it is exacerbated by it...I've got to say though with all the pressure that I have been under the past year or so, I don't believe it could be anything other than a stress related problem:)

I am really sorry to rant on, but unless I can find a way to commit to five days a week back in the office...which is impossible at this time, I am seriously up the creek and my paddle is rapidly slipping from my fingers...!!

--------------------
Tim

-A poor man's Jamie Oliver...without the attitude!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well that just ruined an otherwise good day...! (Edited for television) new
      #22174 - 10/01/03 05:15 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Hi Tim, I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time. I absolutely believe that my IBS began after a period of severe stress. If you do a board search, you will see that has been the case for many of us whose IBS began as adults. Maybe you should consider a different job. It sounds as though this one is literally making you sick. The stress you describe is not worth any amount of money. It is time to make your health and sanity a priority. The right job is out there. Hope all works out for you. artist

#22183 - 10/01/03 07:08 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Tim, sorry to hear about your news. But... you know maybe this is a sign for you to follow a different direction in your career! With being at home, maybe you can look via internet, or local paper for a new career. Have you ever thought of having your own business that you can run from home, or maybe a job that you can do from your home.
I do need to say that your health will improve, you are probably saying bologne but it will. I too thought it wouldn't get better.I had to quit my job (meat personnel).I loved working with the public but there was believe it or not a lot of pressure from the job, to many bosses!! This happened 10 years ago. The first couple of years was hell. Tired, irritable, Dr. visits, tests, running to the bathroom, staying home because, you know; not eating, losing weight; probably much what you are going through right now. About 6 yrs ago, I started a part time job, filling in for a Cross guard. Now it was a little tricky, because I stand outside for an hour at a time, and if I had to go what was I to do. When I had these thoughts I prayed a little harder. I just kept telling myself I will be home soon. It seemed to work but did have a little few mishaps. I just work dark clothing. I got a little better each day, with diet and medication. Today 10 going on 11 years I am now full time x guard ( 6 yrs full time). I also work as a supply teacher ( with a little help from my friend, Immodium . I go out now and enjoy each day as I can. Sure I still have those crappy days, but realize it gets better.
I know this is getting long but I sympathize with you and just want you to know that it does get better. Maybe you can grip your paddle a little tighter and paddle the other direction. Take care. Sue

#22187 - 10/01/03 08:38 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament. I completely understand the frusterations between IBS and work - I think my boss is getting very tired of all my doctor appointments.

Have you checked the library for an article on IBS and stress? Heather has posted some very helpful articles and I'm sure there is one in there on stress.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#22225 - 10/01/03 01:14 PM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

I agree with everyone else, take this as a sign and look for a new job. On one hand companies have a right to request you be at the office. I require that my employees be here. Sure I can call them anytime, and technically they can work at home, but in my opnion, things work so much smoother when I can look them in the eye.

On the other hand, your healh matters the most and if your job is stressing you out, then move on you will be better off. Also, look in to self employment or working from home jobs... it sounds like you have a good set up to do it. Health should be number one in your book and it sounds like your job is a contributor to your symptoms. Imagine what it will be like to have less stress! How good that will feel!

Have you also had all the tests done to eliminate other problems? Have you considered IBD... I just posted something about it earlier.

Olivia

Thanks all!! new
      #22463 - 10/05/03 01:09 AM
Tim G

Well, looks like I may be forced to follow advice here as my company seem to be making things pretty clear that its their way or the highway...!!

There are lots of other things that I would like to do, but until I can break the cycle on an ongoing basis to allow me to leave the house, those options are very limited.

The most frustrating thing is that I have a number of insurances through my company and the superannuation fund, but my boss is trying to convince me that I am not entitled to claim under any of this...even though the policy documents say different!!

Anyway, this is all just way too much for me and the stress cannot be helping...so I have put a clock on it and if things are not resolved within the next few weeks it may just be time to walk and save my sanity.

Thanks again to those that found the time to reply.

Best regards
Tim

--------------------
Tim

Re: Thanks all!! new
      #22465 - 10/05/03 04:06 AM
Brenton

Reged: 08/27/03
Loc: Yorkshire, England

Tim,

I am in the same boat. My company are trying to get rid of me. I have employed a solicitor to try and ensure that i at least leave with smething.

Give it a try down there!!

Brenton

Re: Thanks all!! new
      #22602 - 10/06/03 05:01 PM
Tim G

Thanks Brenton,

Yes, I spoke with a solicitor last week. I have a review meeting with work this week...so we'll see how things progress.

Big problem is that this whole exercise is even more stressful than the day-to-day stuff and has sent my IBS out of control again. Anyway, one way or another it'll hopefully be resolved this week.

Thanks, and good luck on your side!!
Tim

--------------------
Tim

Tim G new
      #22603 - 10/06/03 05:02 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I will be praying that you get everything worked out!

#22620 - 10/06/03 09:39 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi Tim,
so sorry your having such a rough time with your health and not so understanding Boss.
I've been down that road in the past and don't we wish they could walk in our shoes (have our IBS just for a month).
paintlady

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1593 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2347

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review