All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: ??? Dangers of Immodium ??? new
      #22007 - 09/29/03 05:31 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Have you tried Calcium 600+ D????? That binds your stools up while giving you much needed calcium. It works for me and many others that have tried it. I take one 600mg pill with breakfast and then one with dinner. Everyone is different, you can take 3 a day if you feel the need. 3 constipates me, 2 is just right. Try it. You can get a generic, just make sure it's Calcium Carbonate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#22022 - 09/29/03 06:12 PM
Chris

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Kansas

Hey,
I feel bad for you about the work situation. My IBS came up during my Freshman year of High school, I missed about 70 days of school during my last 3 months at school, I had the principle telling my mother day after day, your son needs to come to school more. Thank God for the Charter School. About the Imodium, my doctor told me I could take 16 a day, she didn't recommend it but she said I could, she also said it was fine to take Imodium long term. Hope your situation improves soon.

#22024 - 09/29/03 06:29 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I was on lomotil(pre ibs.diet) and had no problems. I had it only once a day and my doc said that was fine. I took it fair,y often, sometimes, twice a day. No serious side affects at all.

#22030 - 09/29/03 08:30 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi Tim,
I also have IBS-D with years of struggle with it, many years couldn't work then tried Imodium and I was able to work for a few years. I didn't have Heather's books back then and lived on bland diet with fat!!! was trying to keep from loosing more and more weight, not knowing I wasn't helping myself diet wise, anyway I took Imodium during the week and not on weekends for 3 years straight. As my body adjusted to the dosage I had to add more and more it made me less alert, that scared me, I drove to work every morning.
So I quit my job.
Now I have a tip I use- works most of the time.
I eat 2-3 hours before I have to leave the house. Most of my IBS-D problems happen in that timeframe each morning.And take Oyster shell Calcium 600mgs 1 pill with each of the 3 main meals. exercise before breakfast.
If don't get up in time to do an exercise program I turn on soft music and do 5 minutes of easy stretching to get the kinks out then 5 minutes of deep breathing meditation.
When I'm away from home and feel stressed I drop into a few minutes of deep breathe meditation and press the web between thumb and pointing finger(do a Search acupressure by shawneric) this helps my stomach relax.
Remember were all here for you, and know what your going through.
Be good to yourself.
Paintlady

Edited by paintlady (09/29/03 08:39 PM)

Thanks Everyone for all your support and suggestions - nt new
      #22130 - 09/30/03 04:49 PM
Tim G

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

--------------------
Tim

-A poor man's Jamie Oliver...without the attitude!

Re: Thanks Everyone for all your support gestions - nt new
      #22381 - 10/03/03 11:06 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Tim,
Just to add a bit more...
I try not to take imodium as I find it will constipate me too much, then set me off on a spiral of alternating diarrhea then constipation. Having said that, I'm relying on it at the moment as I have started a new job that involves erratic travelling eg 2 hours in a car, or 3 hours in a train. I find a train better as at least there are bathrooms on it unlike when you're stuck in traffic LOL!
Perhaps try taking the imodium the night before, as this gives it a chance to work preventatively(sp?)

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#22566 - 10/06/03 01:43 PM
Pezz

Reged: 10/06/03
Loc: NYC

Hey Tim....wow this sounds familiar I have to ride the subway (NYC) everyday to work and its a 15-20 min ride....30 on crowded days. it used to be a nightmare. panic attacks would hit me....or else i'd just be worried out of my mind and hence...would be sick. it didn't seem to matter how early i got up...the D would hit me about 10mins before i was ready to head out the door to work.

i also took imodium a lot. it got me through school when i moved to NYC. but it got to where it started a yucky cycle of C then the D would come back, i'd take more and the C was with me for days. just not good. but it was the only thing that worked to cork me up...so i took it almost everday at one time.

now that i'm on anti-anxiety drugs i don't take imodium anymore. i'm fine most days out of the week....i still have to eat sane b/c my stomach is just sensitive in general. i hope you find a solution....some of the advice here sounds great. high stress does indeed fuel bad attacks tho....i've been job-hunting for 1.5yrs now and the stress got to me so badly by spring of this year i was *seriously* plagued by ibs-d problems daily. i could barely function. i was lucky i had a temp job with a friend (still do) and it's not high-stress.

exercise in the morning can help....i'm in such a stupid good mood after i workout it helps keep my stomach relaxed too. good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 545 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4666

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review