All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A friendly reminder for everyone (especially you C'ers)
      #217306 - 10/04/05 07:38 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

GET YOUR THYROID CHECKED! THEN GET IT CHECKED AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Turns out all the horrible, horrible problems I was having with C and bloating were all a result of my thyroid being severely out of whack (Your antibody levels are supposed to be below 35 - mine were at 622!).

I was on meds for hypothyroidism before, but my new doctor, an endocrinologist who deals primarily with thryoid and glands and KNOWS what he's talking about, doubled my meds immediately and will probably continue to double them at 6 week intervals.

Guess what? I'm feeling SO great! I still can't have dairy or fats (which were my two biggest triggers) but I can eat salads and lots of veggies, as well as the occasional glass of wine. I can even cheat and have a piece of cake and only be slightly bloated for the next day. It's great!

So, here's a little info you should know about your thyroid so when you get it checked you can ask for the results and check it yourself. I went so long with my primary doc telling me my thyroid was fine because it fell within the normal levels. Turns out that I was on the tip top of the normal levels and that other levels, such as my antibody levels, he hadn't checked and those were seriously out of whack! So, normal thyroid levels are from 0.1-4.0. My endocrinologist says that all people should fall between 0.1-2.0 or else they start feeling the symptoms of thyroid problems. So, ask for your results and check them yourselves - if you DO have thyroid problems, you will feel so much better once you get started on meds.

Good luck!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A friendly reminder for everyone (especially you C'ers) new
      #217308 - 10/04/05 07:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Excellent advice, Elizabeth - I agree totally. Here's something from "Thyroid For Dummies" that I quoted in an earlier post:

Quote:

"If your doctor tells you that your screening test was normal but you still have symptoms consistent with hypothyroidism, ask the doctor for the exact number of your TSH. It it's above 2.5, ask your doctor to consider giving you a trial of treatment with thyroid hormone replacement."

In other words, a decision about thyroid treatment should take into account your symptoms as well as your lab results. And I agree also that it's always a good idea to ask for a copy of all test results so you can check them for yourself

I'm so glad you found a doctor who knew what to check and that the thyroid treatment has helped so very much.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#217319 - 10/04/05 09:16 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Thanks for this post! I have always wondered about that but I dont think I have ever been checked. That is great that you found out they were out of whack and you were able to fix them. Its always reasuring when you find out how to fix a problem.

Re: EXCELLENT advice, Elizabeth new
      #217329 - 10/04/05 09:30 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm so thrilled that you nailed a huge factor re: bloating/C.
Thyroid really does play a factor in C. I know, that if I don't eat enough sodium/iodine in my diet, I get bloated/C and I'm a D!!!

Continue rockin'!
Kate.

#217392 - 10/04/05 12:26 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I never knew there was a connection between C and thyroid. Hmmm. What made you go to an Endocrinologist? Is this your primary doctor?

I wonder if a regular doctor can test for this?

That is awesome that you have found a major key to your problem, Elizabeth. Happy Eating!

Are you still going to take any of your supplements: Acacia, citrucel, DA, miralax, probiotic, etc?

#218328 - 10/08/05 02:29 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I went to an endocrinologist because both my parents have hypothyroidism as well. I've had it for a few years, just haven't been checking up with it as much as I should.

Yes, your primary doctor can screen for it, but if you keep having symptoms even if your results are "normal", consider going to an endocrinologist.

I'm still taking all my supplements but I'm not taking Miralax anymore. I think it makes me more bloated than if I don't take it. I'm taking magnesium supplements to keep things moving.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1458

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review