All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Breakfast ideas for Constipation IBS
      #211309 - 09/06/05 12:57 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hi all. I was wondering what other C folks eat for breakfast.

Do you guys eat lots of IF with breakfast or still stick to more SF based breakfast since it is the first meal of the day?

I usually eat cream of brown rice cereal with cooked blueberies and 1 Tablespoon of flax. Or Mighty Tasty GF cereal (whole grain brown rice, corn, sorghum, buckwheat) with cooked blueberries and 1 T of flax. I've been trying to take a small dose of SFS beforehand (don't know if this is going to last as my body doesn't like them too much).

I was wondering if other C folks do more IF than I, or less and play it more conservatively by eating more SF breakfasts. I know SF before IF is always safe...but really need some good ideas on how to start my day off safely but also with a good BM inducing breakfast.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Breakfast ideas for Constipation IBS new
      #211331 - 09/06/05 01:50 PM
Lars

Reged: 08/30/05

I take psyllium when i wake up. I then cook and eat oatmeal with just oats and water. I don't think i am msg-sensitive so I also take a carbohydrate supplement and soy protein isolate.
I usually have a good bowel mowement after this breakfast, I do think it's mostly the psyllium starting it though. I actually mostly eat IF, if I eat too much white bread/rice ect. I get that feeling that everything below my chest has been pumped full of food and then stopped dead.

--------------------
IBS-C after amoebic dysentria. Symptoms mostly after eating too much. Wanting to (re)gain weight.

But you don't eat additional IF... new
      #211338 - 09/06/05 02:11 PM
Augie

...with your oatmeal? I think I may be over doing the IF maybe in the mornings. How much psyllium do you take in the morning and later?

--------------------
~ Beth

#211374 - 09/06/05 05:24 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

For breakfast I keep it simple with protein shakes w/ fruit, powder, citrucel powder, and rice milk.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#211425 - 09/06/05 07:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Your breakfast sounds good. I would add some dried fruit and maybe do Scottish oatmeal sometimes with flax in it. I don't think too much IF would be a worry. also add a half grapefruit or an orange. I think that would work things. Have some hot tea; hot liquids tell the gut to go!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: But you don't eat additional IF... new
      #211457 - 09/07/05 01:34 AM
Lars

Reged: 08/30/05

No i don't. But the rest of the day I mostly eat rye bread with chicken, turkey or salmon. I do eat some white bread thats high on fiber (think both SF and IF) as well.

I take 1,5 grams of psyllium in the morning. I take the same dosage 3-4 more times through out the day.

--------------------
IBS-C after amoebic dysentria. Symptoms mostly after eating too much. Wanting to (re)gain weight.

Please, calling all stable C folks! (Bamagrl, Astrochick, Michele, Angela, Rachel,(both of you), Kimm, etc, etc.. new
      #211493 - 09/07/05 07:40 AM
Augie

Can you give me some ideas on your breakfasts? I'm needing some help on ideas of what other C folks eat for breakfast and if they take any SFS beforehand.

Thanks to anyone that responds.

--------------------
~ Beth

#211495 - 09/07/05 07:48 AM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I eat Frosted Mini Wheats for breakfast on alot of mornings, with a cup of hot tea. I also snack on Triscuits in the evenings sometimes, that seems to help me the next day. Other mornings I'll have a couple slices of whole wheat toast, with either jelly or peanut butter. These are things that I know alot of people here could not handle, but I seem to need that extra fiber, the whole grains. Sometimes I'll have a banana with my breakfast, but most days I don't eat fruit until later in the day. I've never been a big breakfast person anyways. The hot tea is a must for me in the mornings though!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Hot teas don't get my gut going new
      #211507 - 09/07/05 08:16 AM
Augie

would you add the dried fruit in addition to the blueberries? What are some good dried fruits to try?

I was worried the hot brown rice cereal and the other were perhaps not the safest choices for the first meal of the day...but at the same time, I need fiber!

Thanks LM...by the way, what is Scottish Oatmeal? Is it the steel cut?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Please, calling all stable C folks! (Bamagrl, Astrochick, Michele, Angela, Rachel,(both of you), Kimm, etc, etc.. new
      #211512 - 09/07/05 08:53 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm sorry Beth... I thought I had already told you what I was eating.

For breakfast before I was pregnant, I was eating oatmeal every morning with a peach or dried cranberries cooked with it. However, I was also taking Mirilax... mixed into half cranberry juice/half water and then drinking another 16oz of water before I ate (the amount of liquid is what made the Mirilax work for me). Since getting pregnant, it's varied a little. I started out eating Grape Nuts with berries, and then I switched to Cinnamon Life and a cut up peach in rice milk. Lately, I've been eating a banana first thing, and I follow it with a big bowl of Multi Grain Cheerios and a peach cut up in some rice milk. Every morning, I also try to drink 16oz of juice... usually white grape juice from Juicy Juice.

I don't use a SFS at all, so I can't help you with that. And more than likely, I will be back on the mirilax once I have the baby.

HTH!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2908 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40767

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review