All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
For the C'ers - some thoughts
      #209619 - 08/29/05 08:08 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

First off, let me say that I don't want to dog on this diet. There have been a lot of helpful tips and things that I'm glad I now know - things I didn't before coming to this site.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about why this time last year, when I wasn't following an IBS diet AT ALL I was doing so much better than I was just a month or two ago. I started thinking about how much vegetables, salads and whole wheat I ate back then and decided to try adding it back in again and giving it quite a while to actually see if it was bothering me or if it was another factor. Since I started adding it back in, I've felt almost normal. Sure, I have a few bad days, but it's usually due to something else. I have even been able to decrease the amount of Miralax I take, which is making me super happy.

Obviously, I still stay away from dairy, red meat, fats, carbonation, artificial sweeteners and caffeine, but I think IF is very crucial to keeping me stable. I think we need huge amounts of IF to keep cleaned out. Just something to think about for the C'ers out there.

Note: I know IBS is highly personal, but this has helped me so much that I think everyone else should know

P.S. I should also probably add that I have been taking Digestive Advantage for a while now and I think it has contributed to my well being, too.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For the C'ers - some thoughts new
      #209620 - 08/29/05 08:20 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Elizabeth! I missed your voice!

I'm not a C'er (I'm a D'er who is stable again--an A'er, nearly) and I agree completely with your statement re: IF! We need lots.

Kate.

Re: For the C'ers - some thoughts-Digestive Advantage new
      #209667 - 08/30/05 05:52 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I can't say enough for D.A. I hope it continues to work. I couldn't find the one for IBS around here and had to go about two weeks without it. ARGGHH. I finally ordered it on line and have been on it again for a week. I have had a couple of great bm's. Felt normal. I don't say it will work for everyone, but it sure helps me.
yesterday for lunch I had:

Chicken leg - I even ate the crispy skin
mashed potato with gravy
mixed veggies
coffee

I was a little gassy in the afternoon, but it wasn't trapped, so it was okay. Last night we had tuna sandwich and a few chips.
I hope this keeps up. Only problem is I'm always hungry.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#209671 - 08/30/05 06:15 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Hi Kate! Glad to see you're doing well - how are you?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

A few questions, Elizabeth new
      #209680 - 08/30/05 06:48 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

First, I am so glad you are feeling better. I know it must have been a leap of faith for you to try something totally different from what is considered safe.

Are you eating SF before the IF in order to buffer your system? This diet doesn't say not to eat IF, but just to eat it after an SF food source. Are you able to eat IF, like wheat and veggies on their own...without the SF buffers? I have been thinking of trying this method myself.

Did you ease into this way of eating...with the wheat and IF foods or did you just start do it all at once?

Also, doesn't the artifial sweeteners in the Digestive Advantage upset you? They contain both Mannitol and Aspartame which are very bad for our tummies...so the experts say. Those ingredients have prevented me from taking them myself. You said you stay away from artifial sweeteners, but D.A. does contain artificial sweeteners. What do you think of this?

What is your usual breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks? I am very interested in what foods/meals you have found helpful. Please help me by sharing your foods and meals...please.

Are you taking any SFS...or just your Digestive Advantage?

Again, good for you!

#209738 - 08/30/05 08:51 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm glad you're finding a path that works for you. Did you ever go see the top of the line digestive doctors you were talking about? If so, how did that go?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Elizabeth new
      #209745 - 08/30/05 09:09 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hi Elizabeth! Physically, I'm doing great. How are you? My D seems stable. I finally have perfect sodium/chloride levels--so I've got a grip on my electrolyte deficiency. My hair is growing like a weed --must be all those greens! (No, I KNOW it's because of all those greens!)
With high potency enzymes, I can actually eat broccoli and cauliflower and brussels sprouts and a bit of onion without fear! I'm having a bit of a nasty GAD/OCD week (generalized anxiety disorder/obsessive compulsive disorder) week--my lifetime psychic challenge, I suspect. However, I always manage to survive myself.

So, Digestive Advantage is effective for you? What kind of IF sits best with you? I'm pretty good with well cooked things. Now that I'm stabilizing, I have to keep an eye on not getting "C." I like that "clock-work" feeling. I've been avoiding fruit, lately, and that seems to have helped my D tremendously.

Kate.

Is D.A. a probiotic? new
      #209775 - 08/30/05 10:59 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I SWEAR by a good probiotic!! I'm back on mine, and back to feeling good today! Ask me next week and I bet that pain will be 99% gone! I had 5 glasses of wine last night and woke up with only baby cramping!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Amen to this observation! new
      #209788 - 08/30/05 12:01 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

IF is critical to C'ers! I start each meal with my acacia, I swear our bodies work better with a good probiotic, but IF is crucial to every meal or things just don't go! Glad you are feeling so much better!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Is D.A. a probiotic? new
      #209794 - 08/30/05 12:27 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

after 5 glasses of wine you probably couldn't feel much anyway

Yes, it's a probiotic. Here's what it contains.

The active ingredients in Digestive Advantage are lactic acid bacterial species called Ganeden Lactobacillus

don't know, don't care as long as it works.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51277

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review