All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C'S ... how do you recognize your triggers????
      #202806 - 08/05/05 09:51 AM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

This is so frustrating. I feel like I ask more questions than anyone here! But, with IBS-D, its pretty simple and almost immediate to identify a trigger food. Also, when you have pain with IBS, that usually "helps" in finding out trigger foods as well. But when you are like me, IBS-C with no pain, how in the world are you supposed to know what is good and bad? I feel like I am completely blind in all of this, and kind of wasting my time. How do you other C's do it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C'S ... how do you recognize your triggers???? new
      #202813 - 08/05/05 09:58 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

For me I bloat, I get spasms and gas right away, then either the next day or two later I'm very C.

#202826 - 08/05/05 10:44 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Another tough one to figure out! Bloating and gas usually tell me if I've eaten too much or the wrong thing. I try to remember foods that caused particular problems, but often mess up and repeat the problem. Sometimes, I'm convinced I could eat whatever I want and that stress is my underlying culprit. It really is hard to figure out. Gas is about the only thing I can for sure tell that a future problem is ahead. But, most of the time, I'm blind too...that's why I responded to the above poll saying C is much harder to deal with than D. It just requires a lot of patience and lots of hot tea!! Sorry I can't be of more help.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#202889 - 08/05/05 01:16 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Jeez, I don't really have C triggers per se. I'm IBS-C, but stress sends me right to D. Once I got on top of the D attacks, preventing the C was mainly increasing IF while keeping the SF high. I believe that the things that brought on D also kept me C, so fixing one did a lot to help with the other.

This is not to say that I don't have bloating and cramps, but that part seems pretty disconnected from the C thing. I can be regular, but if I have any dairy or don't keep drinking fluids, I'm bloated and crampy.

--AC

Experience and Perseverance new
      #202903 - 08/05/05 01:50 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

pb7:

I think it takes a lot of experience and a lot of perserverance to figure out all your triggers. I've had IBS for 47 years and it has more or less taken me a lifetime to figure out all of my triggers!

If I were in your shoes, I would start with Heather's list of trigger foods as a guide. Once you are stable, you have to do the trial and error thing and see what you can tolerate and what you cannot. Sometimes you may be able to tolerate a trigger food (for example, I can tolerate fresh lemon juice squeezed on my chicken and veggies!) and sometimes you may not be able to tolerate a "safe" food (I have difficulty with oatmeal and a number of other "safe" foods).

In addition, you may need to look at other possible (but less obvious) triggers such as the additives, chemicals/preservatives, harmones and antibiotics, etc. used in foods, as well as genetically-modified foods.

Adding to this complex process of self-discovery, I find something that I eat today may not actually trigger an IBS-C or D problem immediately. In fact, sometimes it can be a day or two from now and can be the result of a culmination of things I ate combined with increased stress or other factors.

Therefore, it is a difficult, painstaking process to truly figure out all your triggers. But once you do, you will practically know yourself inside out!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 521

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review