All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Gatorade and Sports/electrolyte drinks
      #200708 - 07/28/05 10:24 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

My doctor wants me to drink these. I have terrible sodium/chloride levels. So, what's your favourite brand/flavour? I'm going to brave the store within a day or two and want to try a few. I grabbed a few last night and quite frankly I feel ALOT BETTER. I'm less dizzy/fuzzy/woozy.
My tummy feels better, too. Please advise re: favourite brands/flavours.
I just find them too sweet.
Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gatorade and Sports/electrolyte drinks new
      #200729 - 07/29/05 02:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

DO a search on sports drinks and you should find a load of advice I got...including a recipe for a home-made drink. Alot of the store ones have sweeteners in them so watch out for this.

Re: Yes, I searched on that... new
      #200735 - 07/29/05 04:15 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Linz:

I did a search on Gatorade/sports drinks and found lots of comments. My doctor doesn't want me mixing up my own. She told me to try some of the GATORADE BRAND ones or use PEDIALYTE/GASTROLYTE. I inquired, sardonically, whether she was being paid by Coca Cola to promote Gatorade! (My sodium levels are so low that I'm beyond dizzy.)

Even Pedialyte has artificial sweeteners. Personally, I can tolerate them, to some degree. (Weird, I know.) (I can't handle sorbitol, though)

I tried Pedialyte--it's okay when you're DESPERATE, as I have been. This Aquafina stuff I had to dump (felt sick--maybe it was, no bad reaction to the Propel. Gatorade I found I had to dilute--too sweet.

I'm just curious re: FAVOURITE FLAVOURS/brands. There's so many varieties of GATORADE, from frost to whatever. I only really like the plain BLUE (raspberry) one.

Thanks,
Kate.

Personally.... new
      #200740 - 07/29/05 05:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I drink the blue Gatorades - Glacier Frost or some such nonsense and Cool Blue - like they're going out of style. Actually, what I do is mix them half-and-half with lime seltzer, because I don't care for how sweet they are... the carbonation is almost completely flattened when you do that, and what you're left with is a zippier Gatorade.

The only flavor I've tried and said, "Eww, nasty!" about was the fruit punch. They used to make a strawberry-kiwi one that's really good - I don't know if they stopped that flavor, or if I just can't get it here.

I can't speak for any of the other brands, but Gatorade does NOT contain artificial sweeteners. As long as you're not sensitive to artificial colors, you should be totally fine with it.

#200780 - 07/29/05 08:12 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

They used to have a nice "lemonade ice" flavor that was clear, but it wasn't apparently too popular. There is a clear watermelon (or strawberry? can't remember) that I get if I can, but I go with the boring ol' lemon-lime if I can't.

My philosophy is to go for the one closest to clear, but that's only because I don't want a blue tongue afterwards.

--AC

Re: Personally.... new
      #200782 - 07/29/05 08:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Don't forget that if you dilute them they're not as good!

? new
      #200788 - 07/29/05 08:28 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

are you drinking them bc. they help with ibs, or for a separate (though related) reason? is it low electrolytes? i don't remember coming across gatorade as an ibs thing, except for dealing with dehydration after major D attacks.

-jaime

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#200795 - 07/29/05 08:49 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I always buy the lemon gatorade but I think the other flavors may be good too. I also have had some Propel but the last time I found it overly sweet. I received some mixes I think they were Powerade but I cannot remember. you just pour the packet into a 20 oz bottle and shake. I gave it to DH so I don't know how good it was.
Can you not add more salt to your food too? (I am a big salter and sugarer since I am restricted in other ways. My blood pressure and weight are fine in case anyone is wondering about it.) I love Kosher salt and sea salt too. that is all we use here.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#200800 - 07/29/05 09:06 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I always buy the lemon gatorade but I think the other flavors may be good too. I also have had some Propel but the last time I found it overly sweet. Propel has artif sweeteners I received some mixes I think they were Powerade but I cannot remember. you just pour the packet into a 20 oz bottle and shake. Crystal Light... and those too have artif sweeteners I gave it to DH so I don't know how good it was.
Can you not add more salt to your food too? (I am a big salter and sugarer since I am restricted in other ways. My blood pressure and weight are fine in case anyone is wondering about it.) I love Kosher salt and sea salt too. that is all we use here.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

doesn't gatorade contain fructose? new
      #200801 - 07/29/05 09:08 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I can't find one that doesn't list fructose.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18525

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review