All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A question on Celiac
      #197955 - 07/20/05 06:32 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

ISOT but didn't find what I was looking for.

I did an internet search and found that of the most common symptoms, 75% of them I have: abdominal cramping, intestinal gas, distention and bloating, chronic constipation, as well as weakness and lack of energy, depression (I copied and pasted the ones I exhibit)

Soooo... here's my question. I had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and "blood work" done over the last month to rule out anything besides IBS. However, I don't know if my GI checked for celiac when doing the blood work. Is checking for Celiac a standard thing that he probably did or do I need to specifically request it?

And just a note: I don't like my GI. My parents have it in their heads that what is wrong with me can be solved by my wedding if they take me to the right doctors - they think my doctor here in Oklahoma doesn't know what he's talking about. It's possible but unlikely. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be going through another round of tests with a different doctor soon and I wanted to make sure I got everything tested this time around.

Oh, and the reason I suspect celiac is that I follow the diet to an absolute T and the only time I really feel relief is when I'm eating only applesauce and luna bars. The bloating is so bad that I'm tempted to buy maternity clothes. Anyway, just a side note.

Thanks!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A question on Celiac new
      #197967 - 07/20/05 06:49 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Remember that you can have wheat or gluten intolerance without having celiac (an IBD). That could be why you're getting loads of gas, etc with the "regular" diet.

And the blood test should be standard, but you know how cack doctors can be!

Re: A question on Celiac new
      #197971 - 07/20/05 06:53 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hey Elizabeth,

I would definitely not assume you'd been tested for celiac sprue. Why not call the GI and ask? I asked for my GI (former GI) to do it, and her reaction implied that she wouldn't have tested me for it if I hadn't asked. I hope you don't have to go through those tests again!

If you do get tested again, and you're already eating gluten free tell the doctor that, the test (I think) requires that you have gluten in your diet in order to be accurate. Good luck!

Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Yes, do not remove gluten from diet... new
      #197974 - 07/20/05 06:59 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...until you have had the blood test. Otherwise, the test could show a false negative. You must be on a gluten containing diet for the test to be accurate.

FYI, Luna Bars do contain Gluten. Trust me. I followed a gluten free diet for 20 months and I know these were off limits.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: A question on Celiac - I'm scared new
      #198056 - 07/21/05 05:55 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I am having a blood test tomorrow. My biospsy from the endoscopy showed celiac sprue, but my G.I. said not to freak out, to wait for the results of the test. Yeah, right! I love bread and pasta and all that good stuff. AND as some of you know, I don't have control of the menu here. I also cannot afford special foods. AGGHHHH !!!!!!

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Low budget, low tolerance new
      #198094 - 07/21/05 07:27 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

I see you live is Mass. (i just moved from boston). Do you live near any Asian grocery stores, health/natural foods, or a store that sells food in bulk? Buying Rice and Rice noodles in bulk is your best bet. As for bread, I would say it would be cheapest just to make your own and buy gluten-free flour in bulk. There are several US gluten-free recipe and product ordering websites around. Let me know if you need any. I know how hard it can be to go gluten free on a low budget (esp in expensive Massachusetts!!!) Good luck!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Thanks, everyone! Will definitely call to check! -nt- new
      #198108 - 07/21/05 07:53 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Low budget, low tolerance new
      #198110 - 07/21/05 07:56 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I live in a rest/retirement home and have no way of cooking anything. We aren't even allowed in the kitchen. I know the managers idea of gluton free will be "don't put bread on her plate". The gov't allows us only $60 a month for personal needs. Good ol' Gov't., huh?

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Low budget, low tolerance new
      #198133 - 07/21/05 08:34 AM
maikko

*hugs* i'm sorry, that makes it extra tough. You'll definately have to make sure they allow you to follow your new diet since celiac is a medical condition. This may result in getting rid of most carbs from your diet altogether then. Any rice or potato they give you should still be safe, but any box-mix things and other hidden gluten they make you will prob. have to avoid. You may want to have your doc. give them a detailed list of things you cannot eat (it's a lot longer than "just no bread") I really hope it works out for you!

--------------------
--maikko

Maikko? new
      #198138 - 07/21/05 08:37 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I forget if you are following a strict GF diet. Are you having any improvements on it?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Maikko? new
      #198156 - 07/21/05 09:04 AM
maikko

Im still phasing out the last of it (I hate to just throw away food, y'know?) but once i do, i'll def. let you know.

--------------------
--maikko

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1480

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review