Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are these foods safe?
      #196559 - 07/17/05 12:22 PM
caths

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: TX and MA

Hi all!
Okay, I have quite a few questions about whether certain foods are safe...
i've seen rice cakes listed on several safe lists, but the package says it is a whole grain food. is this still ok? that brings me to another question, is brown rice safe?
i guess it will be easier to just list the other foods i am curious about:
1. same with cheerios, the box says whole grain
2. of the sushi variety: seaweed (like seaweed salad), tamagi and fish roe (both egg products), tempura (i just love it so i'm hoping there's a slight chance it's safe)
3. there's also a Snyder's brand tortilla chip that i'm pretty sure is still fried, but it's very low in fat. is this ok?
4. luna bars--does sat. fat content matter or is is the total fat? i've noticed most luna bars only have a few grams in fat, but a high amt. of sat. fat (% daily value).
5. i use benefiber as my SFS. i don't see it mentioned with the other popular brands, is there a reason for this? it does say sugar free on the bottle, but i did not find an artificial sweetener listed in the ingredients.
Whew! i think that's all for now! much thanks to all of you who read through all that!

--------------------
.:IBS.:.C:...:pain.bloating.gas:.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are these foods safe? new
      #196569 - 07/17/05 01:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I'll answer the ones I can.

2. Seaweed is considered insoluble; eat it as other insolubles, with lots of soluble fiber foods (ie rice). I'm not sure about the tamagi and fish roe, but I would *guess* they're safe - anyone know the fat content? Tempura isn't safe at all, sorry!

3. I would still be careful with anything fried. Sometimes low-fat foods that are still fried are made with Olestra or some other "fat substitute" that has really unpleasant GI tract effects on people who don't even have IBS... so you can imagine what it would do for us!

4. Total fat. Luna bars are safe.

5. Sweeteners to watch out for, other than the obvious aspartame/Equal and saccharin, are sucralose (Splenda) and anything ending with -tol... mannitol, sorbitol, etc. I know the sugar-free chewables aren't safe, because they do contain artificial sweeteners. If it's flavored in any way and it's sugar-free, it's probably not safe. However, if the Benefiber you're using is unflavored, then chances are good that it's fine... sometimes companies will label something "sugar-free" for the heck of it... kind of like labeling Jello as "fat-free" (it all is anyway, and it always was).

There are other people who use Benefiber on here, by the way... I'm not sure why it isn't on the list, but it's a legitimate choice for a soluble fiber supplement.

Hope that helps!

#196571 - 07/17/05 02:05 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

These are just my opinions, you know everyone is different with what they can tolerate...

Quote:

Hi all!
Okay, I have quite a few questions about whether certain foods are safe...
i've seen rice cakes listed on several safe lists, but the package says it is a whole grain food. is this still ok? I would say with a sf food, maybe some toast? that brings me to another question, is brown rice safe? Brown rice is safe with a SF food. Some people can hanlde it by itself too. (ie most rice cakes)
i guess it will be easier to just list the other foods i am curious about:
1. same with cheerios, the box says whole grain Regular cherrios is easier than honey nut cherrios, because of the whole grain PLUS the nuts! Again maybe eating this with SF food would be best.
2. of the sushi variety: seaweed (like seaweed salad), Seaweed is just fine (I love it!!) tamagi and fish roe (both egg products), Should be fine, there is such a small amount in sushi... tempura (i just love it so i'm hoping there's a slight chance it's safe) HA! Don't count on it!! Stick with the sushi
3. there's also a Snyder's brand tortilla chip that i'm pretty sure is still fried, but it's very low in fat. is this ok? I would say no if its still fried. Have you tried "Guiltless Gourmet" Brands? They are baked and pretty good. Watch out for the baked chips (ion any brand) that 1. Have Olestra or 2. Are the flavored kind, because often they have milk in them!
4. luna bars--does sat. fat content matter or is is the total fat? i've noticed most luna bars only have a few grams in fat, but a high amt. of sat. fat (% daily value). Some of the luna bars are much lower in fat than the others, and I would stick with those. A tiny bit of sat. fat is ok (try to go with monosaturated) but if you dont feel comfortable with that, I would only eat 1/2 at a time and eat something fat-free with it as a cushion.
5. i use benefiber as my SFS. i don't see it mentioned with the other popular brands, is there a reason for this? it does say sugar free on the bottle, but i did not find an artificial sweetener listed in the ingredients. I think the chewable ones have sugar, but the powder is ok. Not too sure though. I used to use the powder and it worked fine for me.
Whew! i think that's all for now! much thanks to all of you who read through all that!
Sure! No prob.

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

#196583 - 07/17/05 03:18 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Benefiber: The powder is okay. In fact, that's what I use. The chewable tablets have sorbital, an artificial sweetener. They are not okay. Benefiber also has some new caplets. I have not tried them yet, but they look to be like Fibercon caplets. Fibercon caplets are what keep in my purse; they are safe for me.

Baked chips: if they are fat free, it should say so right on the front of the bag. And if they are fat free, it's because they have Olestra. DO NOT GO NEAR OLESTRA!

Hint: I've notices the plain baked Ruffles taste better and less like cardboard than the plain baked Lays.

cheerios are safe new
      #196596 - 07/17/05 04:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Cheerios do have some insoluble fiber but enough soluble fiber to make them okay. They are much like instant oatmeal in this respect- which also has both SF and IF. Cheerios are known for their soluble fiber which is good for your heart- remember those commercials? The oats are finely ground which makes them much more tolerable. In fact because they are ground they are probably safer than a bowl of oatmeal.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Seaweeds, NO WONDER!!! new
      #196601 - 07/17/05 04:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

No wonder I had to omit all that seaweed I was eating like crazy a few months ago!!! I couldn't get off the toilet!
I had no idea it was so insoluable. I'd eat the stuff at every meal of the day, practically. No wonder I have no desire to ever go near the stuff and get sick even thinking of it. Even something with seaweed in it triggers me and it's in a lot of things.

Thanks for enlightening me, Casey!!!

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Seaweeds, NO WONDER!!! new
      #196712 - 07/18/05 08:31 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I was wondering why sushi makes me "go" . As a "C"....sushi is my friend! Good thing since I am half-Asian!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: cheerios are safe new
      #197125 - 07/19/05 07:07 AM
caths

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: TX and MA

Excellent, i love my cheerios! does this apply to most other general mills cereals that boast "whole grains" like Life, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc?

--------------------
.:IBS.:.C:...:pain.bloating.gas:.

Re: cheerios are safe new
      #197419 - 07/19/05 03:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Whole grain corn and oats are much more tolerable than wheat. If it is whole wheat avoid it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

i bake my tempura new
      #197427 - 07/19/05 03:44 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i bake my tempura, i was doing ok with it, but lately not as much....but i may be having a crazy bout of problems right now!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1588

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review