All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question for IBS-C folks
      #193795 - 07/10/05 09:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I usually am constipated for 5 or 6 out of 7 days now. The one day I'm not, I have Diarrhea.

If any of you experience the D at times, do you continue to take your anti- C suplements and meds, such as magnesium, flax seed, fish oil capsules, zelnorm, miralax, etc?

What about diet wise? Do you continue to eat IF as much as possible despite the D?

I'm afraid if I don't continue, I'm setting myself up for more C. Maybe that's how I get into this cycle in the first place?

Thanks all!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good question new
      #193810 - 07/10/05 09:55 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

but sorry, I can't help as I have the same dilemma/questions.

Maybe someone else can help both of us???

Re: Question for IBS-C folks new
      #194078 - 07/11/05 08:26 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

When I have D, I go straight for the soluble-fiber-only diet. If I'm not totally nauseated, I do try to take my vitamins; otherwise, I just take my chewable Ca-Mg tablet which always tastes good to me.

As I've stabilized over the past couple of years, I've been able to go back to IF more quickly after a D attack. This has been possible only because I've been less C and my system has been healthier, and so I don't feel like crap for several days after an attack.

It certainly can't hurt to see if there's any very mild IF things that you can have right after a D attack. It might be cooked fruit, whole wheat bread, chicken soup with mushy veggies, or whatever seems tolerable to you at the time. But treating the C *will* help you with the D attacks in the long run!

--AC

Since Calcium is constipating new
      #194088 - 07/11/05 08:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

are you able to take this even when you aren't D?

I've never seen a chewable one. That would be good, if no triggers in it for me!

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Since Calcium is constipating new
      #194093 - 07/11/05 08:40 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Sorry, this made me laugh. I'm originally from Cape Cod and all the calcium that seagulls get (shells etc.) doesn't constipate them. You should have seen my car one day. Looked whitewashed. LOL

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Question for IBS-C folks new
      #194108 - 07/11/05 09:03 AM
melissamonica

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I do also get that D once in a while- See I have a bm every day- all I take is one dose of Citrucel in the morning. Sometimes, depending on how much I eat I have another BM during the day. BUt I don't think I go eneough. It seems to get backed up then I get the D. I continue to take my citrucel even on the days I have the D-- Loose stool, whatever you wanna call it.
As for IF- I don't consume much of that as it is. It seems to bring me alot more crampy pain after a BM and just in general.

Re: Good question new
      #194117 - 07/11/05 09:18 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

when i get d, i still continue on my same meds/vitamins because i feel like if i dont ill just get backed up again. The D cleard up on its own. If it last more than a few days, I ease up on the pills. During this time i eat a little lighter, and that tends to slow things down naturally without stopping what im taking.
As for chewables, you can find them at any drugstore. Some of them have things in it that may not be tummy friendly, so check the box before buying.

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Re: Good question new
      #194120 - 07/11/05 09:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The miralax I take will occasionally give me D and for that day, I tend to eat less IF than usual. If I have D two days in a row, than I will cut my miralax dose back a bit for a couple of days but thats usually not necessary!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Since Calcium is constipating new
      #194158 - 07/11/05 10:26 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Note that I had a Ca-Mg supplement - not just calcium alone! I always make sure to take magnesium along with my calcium just so I don't get stopped up.

My fave chewable Ca-Mg is called CalSnack, and it does wonders to settle my belly along with keeping my bones strong.

--AC

Sounds like the C is bringing on the D... new
      #194160 - 07/11/05 10:28 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I would find a regimen and keep it up regardless of what the day brings. Does that make sense? What you do today may not bring C or D until tomorrow, anyway... that's what's so confusing, frustrating.

Hoping things even out for you!!! Is there any progress at all after going GF?

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4674

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review