All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Linz new
      #187039 - 06/17/05 05:18 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Sorry, dear, but don't quite understand your response. Are you saying not to eat pure cheese, milk poducts but it is okay to eat products that may contain these ingredients, or ingredients such as whey or casein, like some of the rice cheeses contain casein?

It sounds like you are saying it might be okay to eat a product that lists lactose as an ingredient but not whey, casein, cheese... But doesn't all lactose contain casein by it's very nature of being dairy? I think I need a dietician!

I'm confused about your advice here.

Also, do you think since it didn't bother me to drink the lactose drink that perhaps I don't have IBS and maybe I have another problem? Would help explain why I am not having much luck controlling symptoms yet....although we both may know anxiety is a big problem in my life, which isn't helping things.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Linz new
      #187043 - 06/17/05 05:33 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Sorry to butt in here, Beth. Let me clarify something re: lactose and casein. Lactose is a milk sugar. Casein is a milk/dairy protein. Both exist in dairy products, including butter. Lactose intolerance is the inability or lack of enzymes to digest the sugars in dairy products. Casein intolerance/allergy is an allergy to the protein in milk. A lot of soy/rice fake/mock cheeses contain casein which gives it that nearly cheese flavour, texture, etc. Whey is the protein isolate from dairy.

Re: Linz-bump please-nt new
      #187235 - 06/19/05 09:15 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Wind... new
      #187238 - 06/19/05 09:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...this clears it up a bit. Beth - lactose and casein are seperate so it's entirely possible you are sensitive to casein but NOT lactose. So if I was you I would not worry AT ALL if lactose appears as a minor ingredient in something, but if it has casein or whey in it, then treat it as a dodgy food. So anything made from milk itself, like cheese, yogut, etc, is still out as that will contain the casein and whey as well as the lactose that you seem to be fine with!

Okay, now?

Gotcha new
      #187242 - 06/19/05 09:30 AM
Augie

I just assumed all lactose contained casein. I thought they went together. I thought that by its very nature lactose contained casein. I've seen products that say lactose free but do contain casein...like the rice cheeses.

I'm bummed that these still are no no's! I'd rather be able to eat casein and whey than lactose! Oh, for a good taste of frozen yogurt again.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 745 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2173

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review